PDA

View Full Version : XCrispi, SnStealth, Weedhound, anyone who trains working dogs...

stinkyattic
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Heya guys! Looks like in the next year or 2 I'm going to be ready to get a new bully, my first one from a breeder, not a shelter... I've got a breed and bloodline picked out- Alapaha Blueblood from CRK lines (better start saving my pennies now, ouch). That kennel looks like the real deal, gorgeous animals, and everyone else seems to be breeding off their bloodline. I'm hoping to train a real working dog and wanted some input into the pros and cons of weight pull vs. protection/ring sport/schutzhund from an owner's point of view. Any of you guys ever train for those types of competitions? Observations? Comments? There's no feral hogs up in NE so boar hunting is out, lol! Bummer...

Is this guy the most amazing bully ever or what? Stunning!
That's CRK's Metallica and he's a perfect example of what I am looking for. Look at that BEEF!

Weedhound
07-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Stinky I couldn't train a dog to sit if it went ahead and read the training manuel all on it's own. Stealth would be my first thought here.

Second.....let me study this pull competition thing before I make any comments. I look at that dog....as beautiful as he is......as one big genetic issue. I'm speaking strictly of the breed here......not that particular dog. My very first thought.....cruciate ligaments but that's just off the top. Those short straight legs are BORN for knee problems.

can you tell me exactly what breed that is?

stinkyattic
07-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Alapaha Blueblood, one of the actual WORKING breeds of bullies. That kennel screens heavily for knee, hip, and elbow problems. Totally different than English bulldogs, that are known for being a complete genetic disaster in every possible way, right down to the inability to fuck without assistance.

Here's the writeup on my favorite dog site:
Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog by Bulldog Information (http://www.bulldoginformation.com/alapaha-blue-blood-bulldog.html)

illnillinois
07-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Hey stinky, my brother is the dog whisper.. He could train a dog to be a cat..

Im going to email him your post and ask him if he wouldn't mind emailing you.. Hes a cool cat.. He trains ALL animals done to horses..

He trains for basic behavior, service dogs, and specialty purposes..

stinkyattic
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Cool. I have a couple training projects for Patsy, the most important being better voice control off leash. I know she isn't deaf, but she is a total flake about responding to her name. I think it has a lot to do with being a stray so whatever her name used to be, no one knows, and she got the name Patsy only in December. I am trying to work on that, but so far I can only get her to come when she is called when there is something specific attached to the command, like "Patsy get in the car" or "Patsy back in the house". If I'm just standing there calling her, she might wander over part way, but then stops and stares.

Weedhound
07-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Then she doesn't get allowed off a leash until it's automatic that when she hears her name she's already taking a step in your direction. Call her, reel her in, praise, praise, praise about 100 times.....or a thousand......or treats are also a good motivator some dogs as well.

She's just ignoring you that's all. She responds to a specfic command i'm very sure because it happens to be one she likes. I'd bet several $$ that if you said "Patsy go get in in the bathtub for a bath" she wouldn't listen to you either. They're like kids.....they know if you can back what you say or not. ;)

stinkyattic
07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
She's good about hopping in the tub when I point to it ans say "get in the tub". She had a playdate this weekend that involved some mud and a German shepherd, and a bath... not necessarily in that order :mad: lol!!!

Weedhound
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I should have known.....Stinky NEVER has normal animals.....:D

I'll check out that website on the dogs. Understand I can only speak from a health point of view.......UNLESS YOUR ANIMALS ARE BIZARRE THERE TOO! :wtf:

Weedhound
07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
The site talks about "recurrent defects." Any idea what those are? (Tried to look up genetics for breeders link but link is defective.....)

Ill's bro sounds like a good source :thumbsup: But can he train a cat to be a dog?

stinkyattic
07-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm assuming that the defects they are talking about are breathing problems and joint problems that plague some breeds of bullies, but that breeders are getting past with hip x-rays on breeding stock and goals that are more geared towards function than show conformation points. Look at the physical difference between Irish setters from American show vs. Irish hunting lines. They aren't the same animal. The Amercian ones have way too short back legs to suit the intended purpose of flushing birds in a wide open field.

SnSstealth
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
thats a great bloodline!!! i am friends with the Bonecrusher kennels...they breed levitt bulldogs, thats what patches is....I should show ya some pics of her working...I actually train shutzhund, service, narcotic and explosive dogs...Alapaha is a great line though...Im just partial to my friends dogs...lol
if you are looking for protection/schutzhund dog...they should do...but remember, its based on the dog, not the dogs parents...my manson is a shutzhund dog, about to get his BH (woohoo!!), but most of his brothers didnt have the gameness/temperment for working/protection...great pets, great service work...but not protection...
You should be fine as long as they guarantee hips n such....i just read the website, I know they say it isnt, but it looks like an american bulldog to me...lol, they sound like an amazing line, bred for work....good times!!!!
german shepards are great schutzhund dogs...but they are whiny ass dogs...they annoy me...lol
any more questions, let me know:jointsmile:
whiskeytango

stinkyattic
07-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, at risk of offending the Shepherd lovers, you just can't switch off that 'I want to work I need to work' thing, and I've found that my friends' Shepherds don't settle down in the house nearly so well as bullies do. Check your email WT; I'm sending you the kennel link. It's definitely not an AB, although the original ABs would have been bred to the same purpose.

xcrispi
07-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Sorry I'm no help Sis .
I'm afraid they're better at training me , than I them at times . I've only messed around w / small basic stuff . Marcus was impressed w/ Zoie our Pit while here tho . She'll sit , stay , speak , lay down , has been trained R/L when shaking paws , jumps up n smacls 5 too . But that stuffs easy = repitition -n- treats . We use plain popcorn .

I've never messed around w/ ring training , work function / pulling etc... They're just companions , protectors , and my kids . :)

The Mighty Met. Dog is huge chested n upper body . He looks cool .

Luci is 5 mos. now and 45 lbs. , and 22 in neck . Almost as big as Zoie at 5 yrs. old .

Here's a pic. of the 2 together - Luci at about 3 mos. or so .
Sorry 4 the hijack .

Peace
Crispi :stoned:

stinkyattic
07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
She's getting big fast, and she looks so sweet.

SnSstealth
07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Im sorry too stinky!!! i cant help pet pic sharing....lol, especially pits!! nice couple crispi!! Ill go check my email stinks...
WT
1st pic is my bully patches with her girlfriend prada...also levitt bully
2nd pic is my pit manson....
got someone to train yer bully yet stinks?

Weedhound
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
The shepherd lovers say that if your shepherd doesn't settle down well in the house then you don't have a good one. HA! :D

SnSstealth
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
lol.....i do know A LOT of whiney ones though...heh
whiskeytango

Weedhound
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
I know Steatlh.....you're right.....there are tons of whiny one.....have to wonder how they ever made police dogs eh? LOL!!

I dont' like the "bull" dogs because I don't feel they are trustworthy around smaller animals and people. Sure.....SOME ARE.....(like whiny sheps) but as a rule I don't trust any of those breeds around anything small for any length of time.......including children and older people. I don't want to have to worry about it and I've had enough "bull" dogs and cleaned up enough of their destruction to be pretty sure of them.

Remember.....I see animals at their worst. One of my favorite phrases that peole say is...."he's really a nice dog.....IF...(or BUT....) that's BS iimo. Anybody's nice when you are doing things they like. It's when you are doing things to them they DONT like that determines a good dog to me. How do they react to stress, fear, etc.....STILL A GOOD DOG????

SnSstealth
07-02-2008, 05:31 PM
what she said!

Weedhound
07-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Lol.....all that being said Stealth......as a tech I'd rather treat a "bully" dog than a german shepherd any day......sad isn't it?? :D

stinkyattic
07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
The bullies I have known have had a REALLY high tolerance for discomfort. Patsy will actually let me work on her teeth with a steel dental tool completely unsedated. She'll also show her belly to a stranger, and lets people pick her right up and walk around with her. She loves kids, even in groups, and has never tried to herd them- instead, she sits down in the middle of the floor and waits to be petted. I lucked out. Since they were bred not to lose their work drive even when injured, it makes sense that their temperament remains steady even when they aren't comfortable.

Weedhound
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
The bull type dogs are so pain tolerant that sometimes it's hard for us to treat them lol. If a bull type dog yelps you KNOW it's hurting. They have tough skins (and heads :D) for sure!

I honestly LOVE all the bull types.....I just have too many other animals and don't want to have to worry about it.....when a dog like that bites.......

But I do LOVE the happy go lucky nature of those dogs and miss it.....they never hold a grudge....always in a good mood.......easy to please.....just.....HAPPY! :thumbsup:

stinkyattic
07-02-2008, 06:05 PM
They LOVE to snuggle. That's just a given. :D

Weedhound
07-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Now THATS a happy dog. :thumbsup:

Yes....it's hard.....you can see by the first photo that taking her out of her natural habitat (the wild) and attempting to domesticate her is extremely stressful to her general well being......:S2:

But the lei helps........;)

stinkyattic
07-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Left eye patch dog with the lei was Tess. She was happy that we were having a party at which cheese was likely to fall like magic from the sky.
The other three are Patsy, who is a sleepin' MACHINE.

Weedhound
07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
so what's the comptetition plan?

stinkyattic
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Well, with the team I have assembled right now, it's Snoring for the first program- points awarded on loudness, clarity, and longest uninterrupted stretch. Then it's Marathon Napping. Duration is key, but ability to sleep through various events (kick-me dog walks by outside, Bible thumper comes to front door, plane crashes into house) is also important.
Last, it's Freestyle Open Competition where sleepwalking, muttering, and twitching are all judged. I think we will do AWESOME.

Weedhound
07-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Well does quantity count? I want in with my four-legged baseball team.......:D

SnSstealth
07-03-2008, 03:17 AM
LOL...gorgeous girls stinks!!! love the workout plan...heh
and the pain thing...my pit completely ripped out a toenail...and didnt even notice, or at least didnt show he noticed...Im trying to stop the bleeding and he is just smiling laying there, letting me fuss at his toe...
whiskey

and they may be whiney, but sometimes Ill gladly work a shepard over a bully any day...so much easier...lol