Ok, so I'm not too sure on all this, but I did start a little experiment I want to continue next grow. I put bananas and peaches around the base of the plants at the start of flower for the ethylene gas. I continued for a couple boys even after they showed CLEAR balls all over. Then I got tired of it all with everything else in life, chopped one boy down and moved the other to the opposite side of the closet to wait for a flower to mature for the pollen. Once it was ready to open, I put the boy in my bathroom for a day while it opened, took the pollen and got a small amount of one girl's side branch pollenated and put the guy outside with my other potted flowers on the back porch and forgot about him for awhile.

2 weeks later or some such (today, basically), I go back and check on him. He had gotten eaten by bugs quite a bit the first night outside, and the other sacs had dried up and died within a couple days of being outdoors, but today he's got LOTS of pollen sacs. I took some pictures since the sacs were turning purple (just thought it was kinda neat), but noticed a FEMALE flower on this boy! Then, after another look and some better close-ups, I found two more!

1) How often does this happen? What seems to be the biological reason for boys to throw female flowers generally? What stimulates it to happen?

2) Did my fruiting trick likely play any part in this matter? I know genetics have a lot to do with it (pre-disposition basically), but did I influence it to go that way?

Just looking for thoughts.
Attachment 295536 Attachment 295537

I WILL be trying my experiments again in the future (for fun and to see the ratios of males that throw female flowers with this treatment, and later throw without), although it's not really trying to turn males fully female for better production. Heck, if it LEADS that way in the future (this sort of thing on my small-scale operation that will be grow-as-needed will lead to a decades-long observation to find out what would do the trick for regular growing use IF it leads that way) I'm all for it - not likely, and not planning on it. I'm just curious as you can influence (by stress) a girl to go partially or totally male. It's also possible that that's what happened here - it's a girl that was stressed into being a boy but throws occasional girl parts. If so, how much work would it be to undo the stress on the girl to make her act like a girl again instead of a boy? So many questions.
Buggy Reviewed by Buggy on . JUST FOR ENTERTAINMENT: Boys to girls??? Ok, so I'm not too sure on all this, but I did start a little experiment I want to continue next grow. I put bananas and peaches around the base of the plants at the start of flower for the ethylene gas. I continued for a couple boys even after they showed CLEAR balls all over. Then I got tired of it all with everything else in life, chopped one boy down and moved the other to the opposite side of the closet to wait for a flower to mature for the pollen. Once it was ready to open, I put the boy Rating: 5