1. The increased dark time on WW is what causes the buds to crystallize even more. Its more or less plant stress, but the breeders do suggest the last two weeks in darkness, or at least a 16 hour dark timer. As far as the biological explanation, your stressing the plant, and its producing the sugars by eating itself.
2. Nope, that works.
3. I would think that if you have 3 1k lights, that your plants could benefit being vegged another month (or even two) before putting 16 into flower. I can understand how the grow room can overgrow, but realistically, I could do a 20x15 room with 3 1kers, that's roughly 75 well spaced 5 gallon buckets, or 50 well spaced 30g containers
4. Veg sounds good, if I were you, I'd add another light and veg at least 4 weeks longer

Yes, that's plenty of room about your grow, please keep in mind that my experience is limited in the HPS area, however I know that HPS pushes alot more lumens than CFL, and I'm just assuming, but your 1k lights should be pushing a total of 340k lumens, I'm getting 3oz average with limited topping at 9k lumen per sq ft. giving you roughly 12x12 per light on a 1k lamp. (easily cover 20x15 with a 3 1k's)