Quote Originally Posted by Stoner Shadow Wolf
way to confuse the concepts of the past with improper translations from Hebrew! :thumbsup:
There are indeed two different translations from Hebrew on the word that can be translated as calamus, another aromatic plant, and cannabis. It has been argued as meaning calamus, and other times as cannabis. I personally believe it was indeed cannabis, simply from the constituents of the oil. THC is not water soluble but is soluble in fats and oils. The olive oil in the annointing oil would indeed dissolve the THC into solution.....which in turn, the effervescent myrhh or mint or whatever, would facilitate the absorption into the epidermis by causing the pores to dilate. Im not sure of calamus' essence being fat soluble or not. Both calamus (sweet flag) and cannabis can be described as a 'fragrant reed', and would grow exceptionally well in sandy soil with water nearby, such as the wetlands. Calamus also contains a chemical called asarone, which is a pest killer and antibacterial. So either way, both concoctions should have medicinal effects. I discount neither. Calamus is also hallucinogenic, so either way, Jesus was getting HIGH. And so was whoever was annointed. In Exodus 30:23 "kaneh bosem" is translated "fragrant cane" or "fragrant reed". I think the etymology of the word is neutral, and translation is basically semantics, seeing as both plants are PSYCHOACTIVE.