Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1592 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Oprah a god?

Oprah's a tit.
    End of.

Oprah a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Breukelen advocaat
    This is not a question of "fact" - it's my opinion. and I am not a critic of literature. I do not believe that any amount of examples of worthwhile art will sway your view.
    To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

3.   Advertisements

Oprah a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Hansel
    Oprah's a tit.
    End of.
    "Mediocrity always attacks excellence."

~Dr. Michael Beckwith

Oprah a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Greenjeans
    To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    WOW and with his own hero to boot.
    You never cease to amaze me with your quick wit.

Oprah a god?

Hmmm...she must be anti-drug.

Oprah a god?

"Mediocrity always attacks excellence."

~Dr. Michael Beckwith
    I'm sorry but Oprah has just never really done it for me. I think it's an American thing. You really don't have the same phenomena here in Europe with her as in the states. No one really buys into that talk show thing too much in my experience. Granted she is a successful woman, and fair play to her for that and what she has achieved and all that. But quite frankly i just think most of it his hype. It's just not for me :hippy:

Oprah a god?

I just prefer for people to have actual reasons for their statements.

Oprah a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Hansel
    I'm sorry but Oprah has just never really done it for me. I think it's an American thing. You really don't have the same phenomena here in Europe with her as in the states. No one really buys into that talk show thing too much in my experience. Granted she is a successful woman, and fair play to her for that and what she has achieved and all that. But quite frankly i just think most of it his hype. It's just not for me :hippy:
    Thank you Hansel. I give much more credit to your above statement. It shows critical thought.

Oprah a god?

~Friedrich Nietzsche

The books and authors that you are espousing as worthwhile would have been tossed in the trash by him.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stupidity at work
    by James Bowman

Stupidity at work by James Bowman

........What can account for such a lamentable failure of literary perception? The answer is hardly far to seek, and is neatly summed up in a brave piece in the September Harper??s by Francine Prose, ??I Know Why the Caged Bird Cannot Read.? That brilliant title, just a smack at Maya Angelou, is both a positively Angelouvian mixed metaphor and a synecdoche for Miss Angelou??s disastrous influence on the teaching of English in this country.

Basing her assessment of that influence on the experience of her own two sons and a collection of some eighty high school reading lists, Miss Prose deplores the ??lemminglike fervor with which our universities have rushed to sacrifice complexity for diversity.? The result is that kids have ??slogged repeatedly through the manipulative melodramas of Alice Walker and Maya Angelou, through sentimental, middlebrow favorites (To Kill a Mockingbird and A Separate Peace), the weaker novels of John Steinbeck, the fantasies of Ray Bradbury.?

.......The result, as we now see, is that we have books about irony by twenty-four-year-olds whose knowledge of the subject comes from television and whose bibliography does not include even the names of Chaucer or Cervantes or Molière or Voltaire or Dryden or Swift or Pope or Johnson or Dickens or Twain. What he sees as the ??irony? of ??Seinfeld? is actually, like that of so much of the popular culture (see, for example, Kurt Andersen??s new novel Turn of the Century, which is full of it), a double irony??irony about being ironic. This undercuts (as it is intended to do) the moral seriousness and purpose of simple irony and so produces the Seinfeldian nihilism which is what Purdy really objects to. I suppose it is something to be hopeful about that the moral hackles of this ??Generation Xer? (a title which, to give him his due, he deplores, though Douglas Coupland??s name does appear in the bibliography) have been raised, but it would make us feel a lot better if we thought he knew what they had been raised about

Oprah a god?

what a rant thread this has become

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast