Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1590 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Oprah a god?

Much respect here, too. She's smart and philanthropic in countless ways. She has done more for the cause of books and literacy than anyone in the last 15 years, I suspect. She's done vast work here in the U.S. for education, too, Gatekeeper, but she chose to build her first academy in South Africa because the kids and culture there are more interested in education than low-income American kids and their education culture are. Not just her opinion. That's a fact. South Africa also had special meaning because she grew up in a Mississippi situation that was just as bleakly poor as most of those girls, a level of poverty that's now very hard to find here. Also, this isn't the only such institution she'll fund. She's looking at future ones here.

Oprah must be easy to hate because she's such a well-known, wealthy public figure. But if you look at what she's done, besides airing a well-done TV show for so many years that has drawn attention to thousands of important issues, there are few men or women anywhere who even come close to doing what she's done for poor children, families and education around the world. Philanthropy on that scale deserves a lot of respect.
    [SIZE=\"4\"]\"That best portion of a good man\'s life: his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.\"[/SIZE]
    [align=center]William Wordsworth, English poet (1770 - 1850)[/align]

2.   Advertisements

Oprah a god?

Quote Originally Posted by birdgirl73
    Much respect here, too. She's smart and philanthropic in countless ways. She has done more for the cause of books and literacy than anyone in the last 15 years, I suspect. She's done vast work here in the U.S. for education, too, Gatekeeper, but she chose to build her first academy in South Africa because the kids and culture there are more interested in education than low-income American kids and their education culture are. Not just her opinion. That's a fact. South Africa also had special meaning because she grew up in a Mississippi situation that was just as bleakly poor as most of those girls, a level of poverty that's now very hard to find here. Also, this isn't the only such institution she'll fund. She's looking at future ones here.

Oprah must be easy to hate because she's such a well-known, wealthy public figure. But if you look at what she's done, besides airing a well-done TV show for so many years that has drawn attention to thousands of important issues, there are few men or women anywhere who even come close to doing what she's done for poor children, families and education around the world. Philanthropy on that scale deserves a lot of respect.
    Thanks Birdie, you saved me the effort of posting

Don't Oprah hate! Participate :hippy:

Oprah a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Greenjeans
    Don't Oprah hate! Participate
    LOLz...

And Thanks BG,,, You know me I get lazy and don't spell out stuff... I proclaim you my orator...

Oprah a god?

Oprah is sooooo full of herself. She has her own magazine with pictures of herself in it. I know it's her magazine, but I guess we don't see enough of her face that she has to be in every frame on her TV show, and on the cover of her magazine, and in the magazine.

Oprah a god?

I don't "hate" Oprah. She is simply a multi-millionaire entertainment celebrity, with an average intelligence, that is incapable of producing, or understanding, anything other than lowbrow culture.

Oprah a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Breukelen advocaat
    I don't "hate" Oprah. She is simply a multi-millionaire entertainment celebrity that is incapable of producing, or understanding, anything other than lowbrow.
    Define lowbrow. Do you consider the works of Maya Angelou,Toni Morrison, and Alice Walker to be "lowbrow"? Because if you do, I'd like to know what you consider to be intellectually superior to being a Poet Laureate? Or in Toni Morrison's case, to winning both a Pulitzer prize AND the Nobel Prize in Literature. Or in Alice Walker's case, a Pulitzer prize and the O. Henry Award. Oprah counts all these women among her personal friends and mentors. Hardly the social circle of someone who is incapable of understanding anything other than lowbrow.

Oprah a god?

Define lowbrow. Do you consider the works of Maya Angelou,Toni Morrison, and Alice Walker to be "lowbrow"? Because if you do, I'd like to know what you consider to be intellectually superior to being a Poet Laureate? Or in Toni Morrison's case, to winning both a Pulitzer prize AND the Nobel Prize in Literature. Or in Alice Walker's case, a Pulitzer prize and the O. Henry Award. Oprah counts all these women among her personal friends and mentors. Hardly the social circle of someone who is incapable of understanding anything other than lowbrow.
    Those awards are all political, just like the Oscars, and others. Crap is crap, no matter how many awards they throw at it.

Hey, it's only my opinion.

Oprah a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Breukelen advocaat
    Those awards are all political, just like the Oscars, and others. Crap is crap, no matter how many awards they throw at it.

Hey, it's only my opinion.
    Spoken like someone with no facts to back up a statement. Do you read anything other than the boards here, and Nietzsche? Would you know good literature if it bit you in the fanny?

I asked you to define lowbrow. Failing that, would you post an example or two of what you consider to be good literature and why?

Oprah a god?

i want to father oprahs baby

Oprah a god?

Spoken like someone with no facts to back up a statement. Do you read anything other than the boards here, and Nietzsche? Would you know good literature if it bit you in the fanny?

I asked you to define lowbrow. Failing that, would you post an example or two of what you consider to be good literature and why?
    This is not a question of "fact" - it's my opinion. and I am not a critic of literature. I do not believe that any amount of examples of worthwhile art will sway your view.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast