Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1332 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

BETA CAROTENE (Vitamin A)

high...i was wonderin if anyone knows about this supplement?
    well i am taking this now..just started..but..i read somewhere that if ur a smoker (not sure if it matters about MJ or cigs..i do both) u shouldnt take this? is it true? because whenever i take one..after about 20-30mins..i get really nausea....and my mouth fills up with saliva bcuz i want to puke so bad,.., but i hold it for about 15-20mins and then it leaves but..everytime,..it does this..does anyone w/ some medical knowledge know anything>? anyone hahah
    emanresu Reviewed by emanresu on . BETA CAROTENE (Vitamin A) high...i was wonderin if anyone knows about this supplement? well i am taking this now..just started..but..i read somewhere that if ur a smoker (not sure if it matters about MJ or cigs..i do both) u shouldnt take this? is it true? because whenever i take one..after about 20-30mins..i get really nausea....and my mouth fills up with saliva bcuz i want to puke so bad,.., but i hold it for about 15-20mins and then it leaves but..everytime,..it does this..does anyone w/ some medical knowledge know Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Hey, Emanresu. It used to be very standard procedure for people who believed in vitamin supplementation/protection to recommend beta carotene supplements as a protection for smokers, meaning cigarette smokers.

But in the mid-1990s, all that changed. The results of two large studies (one in Finland and one in the U.S.) on beta carotene supplementation and lung cancer risk came out about that time. Both studies found a strong link with increased lung cancer risk in people who took beta carotene supplements when compared with people who took a placebo drug. So we now know beta carotene increases smokers' risk of lung cancer, and frankly, smokers don't need any additional risk. They face high enough cancer risks just from cigarette-smoking alone.
    http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials...inal-CARET1204

Whoever advised you against taking beta carotene supplements knew what he was talking about. You should not take those if you smoke--and the truth is, you probably shouldn't take extra beta carotene anyway. There are studies currently underway to see whether it increases cancer risk in non-smoking people. Definitely stop taking those beta carotene supplements now--and then do yourself another favor and stop smoking cigarettes, too. They're bad news.

I'll be moving this thread to our Medical area.

You could stop taking it, that might help.

I'm not sure man, try a search on Google or something.

all you vit's should come from a natural source,,,Thaz it...

thnx for the input all..and birdgirl...i was hoping u responded to it! over the past months of just reeading off the boards...ive come to realize that certain ppl have certain properties to them that makes them a lil different..and u can label them too but in a good way...in this case...i labelled you cannabis.com's offical nurse/medic?.("doctor" will replace ur "nurse" status once ur done w/ school and all! GOOD LUCK XD)