Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1645 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Nutrients.

Hey gang.. i've noticed a lot of us seem to be incorrectly identifying plant problems.. so I thought i'd do some digging and came up with this..hopefully it clears up any misunderstandings some people might have about picking out a nute deficiency.

NITROGEN (N)
    Pale plants, red stems, smaller growth. Rapid yellowing of lower leaves progressing up the plant. Add any chemical fertilizer containing N. Treated plants recover in about a week.

PHOSPHORUS (P)
    Slow or stunted growth, red stems. Smaller leaves that are dark green. Lower leaves yellow and die. Add chemical fertilizer containing P. Affected leaves will not show recovery but new growth will apear normal.

POTASSIUM (K)
    Affected plants are usually tallest and appear to be most vigorous. Necrotic spots form on lower leaves. Red stems. Leaves appear pale or yellow. Add chemical fertilizer containing K.

CALCIUM (Ca)
    Lack of calcium in the soil results in the soil becoming too acid. This leads to Mg or Fe deficiency or very slow stunted growth. Treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomatic lime per quart of water until condition improves.

SULFER (S)
    Plants suffering from S definciencies exhibit yellowing of new growth. Mix one tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water until condition improves.

MAGNESIUM (Mg)
    Lower leaves yellow and may even turn white while veins remain dark green. Blades die and curl upward.

IRON (Fe)

Leaves on growing shoots turn pale and veins remain dark green. pH imbalances make iron insoluble. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Fe or rusty water.

MANGANESE (Mn)
    Necrotic and yellow spots form on top leaves. Mn deficiency occurs when large amounts of Mg are present in the soil. Foliar feed with any chemical fertilizer containing Mn.

BORON (B)
    Growing shoots turn grey or die. Growing shoots appear burnt. Treat with one teaspoon of Boric acid (sold as eyewash) per gallon of water.

MOLYBDENUM (Mb)
    Yellowing of middle leaves. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Mb.

ZINC (Zn)
    White areas form at leaf tips and between veins. Occurs in alkaline soils. Zn deficiency can be treated by burying galvanized nails in the soil. Chemical fertilizer containing Zn can also be used.

OVER FERTILIZATION

Causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. To correct soil should be flushed with three gallons of water per one gallon of soil.

This information is courtesy of the weedfarmer.

Thanks weedfarmer! you're the shit...

Bob.
    BobBong Reviewed by BobBong on . Nutrients. Hey gang.. i've noticed a lot of us seem to be incorrectly identifying plant problems.. so I thought i'd do some digging and came up with this..hopefully it clears up any misunderstandings some people might have about picking out a nute deficiency. NITROGEN (N) Pale plants, red stems, smaller growth. Rapid yellowing of lower leaves progressing up the plant. Add any chemical fertilizer containing N. Treated plants recover in about a week. PHOSPHORUS (P) Slow or stunted growth, Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Nutrients.

Oh man...BobBong; I read in one of mine almost every day, just to keep up with the day to day...+ I still get advice from the forum.

Another important note regarding nutrients.

So often when we have a deficiency or toxidity; We tend to overlook the fact that the ph is quite possibly the cause of nutrient deficiencies...
    Quite often nutrients lock up due to a deficiency or toxic amount of another element caused by the ph being off.
    This is the reason that flushing for a day with ph water (5.8-hydro/6.5 soil) then adding a batch of correct ph/balanced nutrients (notice: I said, balanced batch not full strength of 1/2 strength batch; Because this is determined on a case to case basis)...is recommended.

I plan on doing a growfaq on the availability of each element to the plant at different ph levels...peace latewood