Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1653 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Soil Medium... Please

I have searched the forums and done some research. I want to start my second grow. My first grow was ok but I found my plants stayed water logged for too long. and I believe this hurt them in the end.

I used Coco and Hydroton rocks and dolomite lime. I want to use somthing diffrent this time. Or well somthing that will work better than what the guy at the store told me to use. I now realize I think he was just trying to sell me shit when he told me to use the rocks for air in th soil. Perlite would have been fine and cheeper I believe.

Anyways whatever. I have watched the High times video Ready set grow. The first soil mix they recomend is 1/3 Moss 1/3 Perlight 1/3 vermiculite. Now I realize this mix will have no nutrients in it at all. So I would always have to add nutrients.

My question is Can I replace the Moss and use Coco instead I have a bunch left over. And would like to use it. Will it act the same as the Moss. and should I addsome dolomite lime to that mix? SO my mix would be.

1/3 coco 1/3 Perlite 1/3Vermiculight and 30ml dolomite lime for every gallon on medium?

Would this be a good medium to grow my plants in. As long As I add fox farm grow nutrients and Blooom nutrients at appropiate times? Or is there somthing else I should add as well?

Or should I say fuk it and buy soil in a bag with all the nutreitns in it. SO i dont have to do anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I tried looking in the forums I couldn't find much about it because soil and Medium come up so frequently in the search.

Thanks

kd_special
    kdspecial Reviewed by kdspecial on . Help with Soil Medium... Please I have searched the forums and done some research. I want to start my second grow. My first grow was ok but I found my plants stayed water logged for too long. and I believe this hurt them in the end. I used Coco and Hydroton rocks and dolomite lime. I want to use somthing diffrent this time. Or well somthing that will work better than what the guy at the store told me to use. I now realize I think he was just trying to sell me shit when he told me to use the rocks for air in th soil. Rating: 5
    Puff, Puff Pass......... with music from www.SoMuchSoul.com imp:

2.   Advertisements

Why not use a Pro-Mix BX?
    It is a soilless mix. I found it a very good medium... Moreover, now they started to add Mycorise PRO into there... it is a beneficial fungus (10-0-0) and it works like a root stimulator for the first week and then you can start adding nutes. And yes, you can forget about PH with using Pro-Mix.

Sorry, if this comment was not what you wanted to hear.
    It is just my 2 cents imp: GL!

Spliffonshik is correct. PRO-MIX is probably the best you can get. Screw all that other shit...mixing and stuff.

Just find a bag of ProMix and thats all you need. That and some lava rock for your bottoms.

Or Home Depots sells Scotts Potting Soil which can also grow you some trees.

Even with the ProMix you want to add some Perlight to help dranage. Try to find "Justaseed's" grow titled "LovelyLadies" He uses the ProMix with the Fox Farm products and he breaks his feeding scycle down in the post and has excelent results from what I understand. If I ever try a soilless I will do something simular to his feeding sequence.
    Adieu
    \"If what shone afar so grand,
    Turn to nothing in thy hand,
    On again; the virtue lies
    In struggle, not the prize.\"--R. M. Milnes.
    Hugh Miller said the only school in which he was properly taught
    was \"that world-wide school in which toil and hardship are the
    severe but noble teachers.\"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBear
    Even with the ProMix you want to add some Perlight to help dranage.
    Adieu
    ?????

I cannot imagine anything draining better than straight PRO MIX.

Unless maybe its coconut shreds.

Ok so I have had lots of help here. And I really appreciate it. The By far easiest material for me to buy is Coco the store i basically right beside my apt. But I have seen little people using Coco in this Forum and I would like to use somthing thats idoit proof. Much like Pro Mix BX sounds.

This Lava Rock material. Isn't Perlite made from Lava rock? Could I just line the bottoms of the pots with perlite? I knwo the BX mix is 75% Moss 25%perlite and Varmiculite. thats what the stor etold me anyways.

I want to maybe try some Coco cuz I can get it so easily and Cheep. Would my Mix be 75%Coco and 25% perlite with some Lime to Ph balance. I believe the coc I get is balanced already but Ill have to doulble check.

I have so many options. I think I should try a couple and see what works best for me.

thanks for all the help Man Im learning so much education....

kd_special

Whatever you decide to use...trust me here...

Buy some of the small RED lava rocks.

Line the bottom of your container with it.

It promotes oxygenation in the soil.

It is incredibly rich in minerals.

It aids in watering in so many ways:
    A) You can bottom water
    B) You can extend time between watering
    c) Roots will continue to grow where just soil the will not.
    D) Waterlogging is not possible.

You ideally can use many types of gravel, but I have found lava to be the best...mainly becuase of its mineral richness.

You simply wont have mineral problems with RED lava rock being used in your medium.

Sounds Perfect for me. I will make sure to pick some up. Thanks for all your patience and work with me HArrdon...

I really appreciate it.

Lava rock maybe could have saved my first grow, I found the Coco would just stay wet for too long. I probally watered too much as I didn't know much.

Now I know and KNowing is half the Battle//./ JI WEED

Do I want to spread a 1inch layer on the bottom of the Pot? Or how thick? And I guess what grade If any at all do I need. I am gonna reasearch at my grow store right now. TO see what they have

Thanks Kindly

kd_special

Quote Originally Posted by HARDDON
    ?????

I cannot imagine anything draining better than straight PRO MIX.

Unless maybe its coconut shreds.
    I wonder why so many people do it with the ProMix and Sunshine mix? Hmm "a good mixture is:40% promix,10% worm castings,25% perlite and 25% vermiculite.You laso want 2 tbls
    of pulverized dolomite lime per gallon soil mix I've used this medium before and it works great."
    "2 gallon grow bags
    Promix with extra lime (2tlbs/gal) and perilite roughly 30% more added.
    "
    "My soil mix is (by volume) 50% worm castings, 25% Pro-Mix, and 25% perlite. Simple as that."
    "Medium: 50% promix 25% perlite 25% vermiculite Light: 2 x 150w"
    "Seedling's were under 2 x 32 watt fluro's for 3 day's in a 50/50 mix of promix/perlite."
    "20% perlite 60% Pro-mix HP 2 TBSP dolomite/gal and 1 TBSP each of bloom
    "
    "For hibiscus, I use equal amounts of Pro Mix, vermiculite and perlite.
    "

"5" slotted clay pot (med charcoal, coarse horticultural perlite, pro-mix), good drainage,"
    "organic mix: 1part eathwormcastings, 2part promix 1 part perlite, 1tsp of blood meal,
    "
    "added it to a 20 oz cup of Promix soil - less with added perlite"
    "These Three will be handfed Dyno grow Nutes every so Often, and are growing in a promix/Perlite Mix."

Adieu
    \"If what shone afar so grand,
    Turn to nothing in thy hand,
    On again; the virtue lies
    In struggle, not the prize.\"--R. M. Milnes.
    Hugh Miller said the only school in which he was properly taught
    was \"that world-wide school in which toil and hardship are the
    severe but noble teachers.\"

Yes I too wonder why so many people fret over %'s of this and that and this and that and some more of this....

Especially when you can get killer results with simple Pro Mix or Scotts Potting soil.

Good Question.

Look for the smallest lave rock you can find and it must be the RED colored kind as it contains nice amounts of iron.

At least one inch layered at the bottom...ideally several more if your container can hold it AND good amounts of soil.

Certainly use enuff to cover about the drainage holes on the sides.

In a 5 gallon bucket, I like to use about 3-4" worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast