Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1564 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Making a soil mix

Good morning everyone. My sister just recently gave me all of her gardening stuff because she tried her hand at gardening and such and failed miserably . Anyway i was wondering if i could make my own mix with the stuff she gave me and if so, what portions should i use? I'd rather make a soil mixture myself so i know whats going in it, since most potting soils usually have nutes in it. This is what she gave me...

1 very large bale of sphagnum peat (like 3.8 cf compressed or somthing)
    1 bag or perlite
    1 bag of vermiculite
    small box of peters 20-20-20
    a 5 lbs bag of some small marble stones
    a bag of red lava rocks
    small bag of epsom salt
    1 box of blood meal
    1 box of bone meal

i think thats it. is there anything else that would be good? how about some lime powder? Thank you very much.
    L3G10N Reviewed by L3G10N on . Making a soil mix Good morning everyone. My sister just recently gave me all of her gardening stuff because she tried her hand at gardening and such and failed miserably :(. Anyway i was wondering if i could make my own mix with the stuff she gave me and if so, what portions should i use? I'd rather make a soil mixture myself so i know whats going in it, since most potting soils usually have nutes in it. This is what she gave me... 1 very large bale of sphagnum peat (like 3.8 cf compressed or somthing) 1 Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Making a soil mix

Save the peters for house plants and such...the rest you've got there are essentials towards a good organic mix.

Peruse your local FAQ for more on soil mixes.

I myself favour FoxFarm's dry mix organics...especially Peace of Mind All Purpose Organic Fertilizer 5-5-5 and Marine Cuisine 10-7-7 and Peace of Mind Tomato & Vegetable Organic 7-4-5 following each own feeding schedule.

And would like to try out their High Phosphorus Bat Guano 0-5-0.

Making a soil mix

do not forget the lime in your soil mix.

Making a soil mix

Hmm, i see no info on soil mixes in the faq here. I found other threads for soil mixes but involves using stuff i cannot get, like pro-mix, bat guano etc. Was just wondering if there was anything i could make with the stuff i have. Dont know what ratios of each product to use.

Making a soil mix

Its all about the search terms ya know. It is kinda weird that 'soil' doesn't appear come right up in a search.

However...I shouldv'e just mentionted the info's fourum...

http://boards.cannabis.com/forumdisplay.php?f=341

Read through thread after thread till you realize you've already got the makings of a organic blend. Read through thread after thread until you begin to realize how much nutrient, per gallon of soil, is appropriate to your cointaners.

Making a soil mix

Quote Originally Posted by L3G10N
    Good morning everyone. My sister just recently gave me all of her gardening stuff because she tried her hand at gardening and such and failed miserably . Anyway i was wondering if i could make my own mix with the stuff she gave me and if so, what portions should i use? I'd rather make a soil mixture myself so i know whats going in it, since most potting soils usually have nutes in it. This is what she gave me...

1 very large bale of sphagnum peat (like 3.8 cf compressed or somthing)
    1 bag or perlite
    1 bag of vermiculite
    small box of peters 20-20-20
    a 5 lbs bag of some small marble stones
    a bag of red lava rocks
    small bag of epsom salt
    1 box of blood meal
    1 box of bone meal

i think thats it. is there anything else that would be good? how about some lime powder? Thank you very much.
    The peat? better to mix with soil. Perlite/vermiculite? create a layer close to bottom of your pots.YOU MUST HAVE GOOD DRAINAGE! 20-20-20 peters? Good for veg cycle (1/4 strenght only). Marble stones? good to place on top of soil (reflects light).Epsom salt? good for mixing with water (water when completely dry only) Blood meal? never tried it (sorry).

Making a soil mix

Peat moss= good for planting azaleas. Too acidic for cannabis. You have to lime it and unless you have a pH meter dialing in the pH is going to be a wicked pain in the ass.
    Take that perlite and vermiculite and buy a big bag of composted cow manure, composted seaweed, or another similare rich organic compost. Mix those together, that's a good grow medium. I use 1 part perlite, 1 part vermiculite, and 2 parts compost.

Blood and bone meal are both awesome oprganic ferts. Don't use too much, but mix with your soil. Like 2 tbsp per cubic foot. Epsom salts 1/4 tsp per gallon of water, not every watering though.
    \"Careful what you carry- \'cause the Man is wise- you are still an outlaw in their eyes\" -Steely Dan
    \"Multiple pieces of anecdotal evidence do not equal scientific fact.\" -Rhizome
    \"If the Queen Bee ain\'t happy... the hive isn\'t happy!\"-Dutch Pimp
    http://boards.cannabis.com/basic-gro...e-harvest.html<-It\'s a grow guide! Enjoy!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/plant-pro...hy-how-do.html <- all the boring stuff about soil chemistry you never wanted to know
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ml#post1837597 <-how to make canna caramels
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ml#post1820481 <-illustrated cloning guide permalink
    Contacting Her Dankness: stinkyattic at hushm4il-please use the same discretion you do on the boards, thanks.
    I don\'t claim to know the first thing about growing anything; hell, I can\'t make a Chia pet sprout.

Making a soil mix

Sounds good stinky, i can get bags of composted cow crap (Black Kow) at lowes. There is also this stuff called Earth's Finest Compost Peat Humus.. not sure if thats anygood. And i saw somthing that mentioned composted mushrooms? Hmm anyway thanks for the post, i may pick up a bag of the Black Kow. I know this may sound like a stupid question, but exactly how do i measure a cubic foot of soil?