Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1683 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does cloning during flowering make weak or hermie plants?

Hi all.
    Does anyone know if clones taken from flowering plants will produce inferior plants when theyâ??re grown out, with a lower yield, or is the only drawback the longer rooting time?
    Has anyone done this and noticed a difference in yield?
    grow4fun Reviewed by grow4fun on . Does cloning during flowering make weak or hermie plants? Hi all. Does anyone know if clones taken from flowering plants will produce inferior plants when theyâ??re grown out, with a lower yield, or is the only drawback the longer rooting time? Has anyone done this and noticed a difference in yield? Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

The first time I tried it, the plant had been on 12/12 for a couple of weeks and had started to get buds on the top tips. I was only gonna take lower branch tips that had no buds, and I did except for a couple of experimental cuttings. One was a tip with a bud about the size of a cherry or olive pit, and the other was not even a tip, just a lower portion of a branch I'd already taken the top 4" off of. It was like a 4" long stick with a couple of leaves sticking out of it.

[attachment=o72749] [attachment=o72750] [attachment=o72751]

Damn, you can't see on these pix but out of 12 cuttings, 10 survived and were definitly female, no hermies. Even the one that was just a stick with no growth tip. One of the tips didn't make it 'cause the pot it was in tipped over and everything fell like 3 feet to the floor but had nothing to do with it flowering. The one with the bud on it just failed to thrive but I don't know if it was because of the bud or not.

The second time I tried, it was the first plant's sister about a month later. The buds ranged in size from 3/4 of an inch on the lower nodes to like 3 inches for the 2 main ones. It wasn't ready to harvest but shit happens and it had to disapear. Quickly. Anyhow so it wouldn't be a total loss I removed the buds as gently as possible and tried to leave a growth tip on the end of the branches I was taking to clone. I took 25 cuttings and got to clonin'. After about 3 or 4 days two of this batch didn't quite look female anymore and one of the two sure looked like it had balls where there had been little white hairs. But then some other shit happened (hmm, shit's job must be to happen 'cause it always fuckin' does ) and I haven't seen any of the second batch since then so I don't know for sure if some hermied or even the quality of the plants. Had to be traumatic though.

Just remember, this is all anecdotal evidence. You might not have the same results, but this is what happened when I did it. Only way to become experienced is to, you guessed it, experience. Try it. :thumbsup:

buy some superthrive its a stress reliever and works great

One thing for sure you'll have to remember is ......a flowering plant is a flowering plant
    You'll have to wait ESPECIALLY on a clone to revert back to a veg state.:thumbsup:
    It may take a couple weeks before this happens, but it will with the proper enviroment required by clones.

They'll thrive in a humid clone tray.....open it daily for 10 minutes for some fresh air. Mist your clones afterwards and cover again for another day. After a few days of this.....keep the dome off for a longer period of time .....10 or 20 extra minutes.....you should see roots in no time.

...a weak fluoro 24/7 will calm them down.

I have one of those domes, but it has no breath holes in it, should I poke holes in it, or just open for periods of time as you suggest?
    :S5:

short answer yes it does.

Why Would You wanna clone a Plant That Is Flowering? Try It And Let Us know...!
    [SIZE=\"5\"]T[/SIZE]hou shalt not steal the stash!
    [SIZE=\"5\"]H[/SIZE]e who criticizes testifies to his own vice.
    [SIZE=\"5\"]I[/SIZE]f I am not to my self - who is? And when I am for my self - what am I? And if not now, then when?

Peace & Love :thumbsup:Toke-It-Up! :rasta:

Sorry, new to all this! What is a hermie? Why does it happen and what does it mean for the plant

Hermie is short for hermaphrodite. It is a female plant that has male flowers. It will fertilize itself and other females and if you want seedless bud, you don't want hermies. Sex in cannabis is not as "fixed" as it is in animals. It's more of a sliding scale with pot. A plant can be totally female- unable to produce male flowers naturally. It can be a total male- unable to make female flowers. Most plants fit inbetween the two extremes. Stress and old age can cause what is a female plant to produce male flowers. This is a survival trait that serve cannabis very well in the wild. It ensures the survival of the species. But we want seedless plants, because it is higher in THC than bud with seeds and won't have little exploding seeds when burned. Just how bad of a hermie you get depends on your plant's genetics and how badly it is stressed. If you get a hermie, check for light leaks or other stressors. If s/he only has a few male flowers, you may just want to pick them off every 3 or 4 days. If you miss one, it's not the end of the world. Any seeds will likely be female, but hermie prone, so are not good for breeding (just toss 'em in a field somewhere and make some kid's day! :thumbsup: ) And by the way, if you can afford it, get a vaporizer! It takes half the pot to get you high, stealthy- doesn't smell like burning pot, your lungs will clear up and what's left over can still be used in cooking or some folks even smoke it! Try a Vapor Brothers GNES for a good buy.
    \"If the truth won\'t do, then something is wrong!\"
    Granny\'s Grandpa- Rev. J. C. Schwabenland

Need MMJ medical studies? Look here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/medicinal...st-2010-a.html

Granny\'s list\'s on facebook-
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Granny...0974909?ref=nf

Want your own free copy of the list? email us-
    i.wantgrannyslist(at)greenpassion.org

I would wanna clone if it is in flowering. My plant was bagseed and it is awesome. Maybe I can try leaving a lower branch after harvest and I read that if you leave it in the dark and and water lightly or no water at all it will produce seeds. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast