Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1715 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

hallucinate, psyche, psychosis mimickers

Ive tripped many times, but i still dont understand how they work.
    What exactly in your brain makes you hallucinate?
    i was on a medicine once, that actualy made hallucinations stop.
    is it actualy something to do with your eyes, or just all in your mind.?
    paperlunatic Reviewed by paperlunatic on . hallucinate, psyche, psychosis mimickers Ive tripped many times, but i still dont understand how they work. What exactly in your brain makes you hallucinate? i was on a medicine once, that actualy made hallucinations stop. is it actualy something to do with your eyes, or just all in your mind.?:confused: :confused: Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Im starting to believe that all hallucinations have a mathematical nature....

I will explore this thought more and get back to you.....

yeah I need some help too.I've been using softdrugs for quite a while now (for about six years). I've smoked tons of weed and hash, had stacks of mushrooms, combo's of laugh gas,shrooms and weed, used water pipes and so on.Always when I use the drugs I get in this real ez-going mood, chilling really nicely and all, but I never seem to be able to really "see" things.

I mean, friends of mine are always saying they see lights, aura's and an occasional pink elephant...lol but I always see squat.. Yes, my mind gets a bit blurry sometimes and my vision goes into slo-mo, but that's about it.

I was just wondering if there are some things I can do, so that I can really "see" things, so that I can space out ompletely to another world...

Halucinations are nothing to do with your eyes, it's all distortion in the mind caused by altered neurological processes. And 420mory, try eating more mushrooms

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/me...hchronicle.com

Math Explains Hallucinations
    By: Wynne Parry
    Issue date: 12/3/01 Section: News

While in drug-induced states, a mathematician recorded the funnels, cobwebs, spirals and honeycomb shapes he saw.

These hallucinations are universal humans ones. They are false images teased from the brain by flickering light, certain anesthetics, waking and falling asleep and drugs.

They were nothing new when the mathematician made his record in the '60s. One of the forms he recorded was a cobweb resembling an image found on a petroglyph.

These re-occurring images say something about the human brain, according to Paul Bressloff, a U math professor.

Normally, visual perception begins when the eyes receive light, which they turn to electrical signals. The signals pass to the rear of the brain, the primary visual cortex, for the first stage of processing.

Because the blind also hallucinate and because the images remain stable even when the eye is moving, hallucinations must be generated without input from the eyes, Bressloff and his colleagues theorized.

Hallucinogens act directly on the brain, triggering the release of chemicals that affect the brain's state. When the brain is in an altered state, the visual cortex generates hallucinations.

And because the imagery is universal, hallucinations may be linked to the architecture of the visual cortex.

Bressloff and others investigated by developing a mathematical model.

Mathematical symmetry underlies the architecture of the visual cortex and determines the cells' modes of firing. There is similar symmetry behind other phenomena in natureā??markings on the coats of animals and water currents generated by heat flow.

The presence of symmetry in the brain was the foundation for the study.

Within the visual cortex, particular cells correspond with small areas of the field of vision.

Each cell is also attuned to particular properties of the light. So in the visual cortex, an object is broken up into little edges with different orientationsā??a bit like a line drawing, Bressloff said.

The pieces of information the cells pick up is assembled by the brain later on.

When stimulated by light, cells packed together in a small area tend to talk to one another. At longer distances, only cells that respond to similar properties communicate with each other.

By changing the brain's state, hallucinogens amplify natural patterns of activity in the cells. They cause the cells to fire off signals and produce the patterns that dance before the eyes.

Bressloff and his colleagues mathematically modeled this situation. When they mapped the hallucinations onto the visual cortex, funnels, spirals and cobwebs became grids of lines, dots and small bars, respectively.

Many aspects of hallucinations still remain to be explored. Some hallucinations also incorporate elements such as depth or color.

Jack Cowan of the University of Chicago, Martin Golubitsky of the University of Houston, Peter Thomas of the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and Matthew Wiener from the National Institutes of Health also participated in the research.

[email protected]

i love to hallucinate
    Love is patient and kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres

Question: What is a hallucination?

Dr. Siegel: It has to due with a change of attention in a person. Hallucinations mean literally a wandering mind or a wandering in attention. To that extent whenever we are even daydreaming technically we are hallucinating. When the brain is really roaring with LSD or in a state of extreme stress from a life-threatening danger, or in a state of isolation there seems to be a lot of wandering in mind that does not seem to be under volitional control. Attention constantly shifts around. When such a person is given a psychological or problem solving test they do miserably on it, because they can't focus attention or concentrate. The death bed is a very good place or very conducive to these kinds of experiences. The person is lying down and is quiet. This is the state into which we try to get our subjects. We used hospital beds in a quiet room. The idea being to get the person to shift from the external events to the internal world.

Several classes of chemicals can be said to be psychedelics or hallucinogens. Mainly they are classified as being a tryptamine, phenethylamine, dissociative (NMDA antagonist) or deliriant (anticholinergic).
    Psychedelics all have different mechanisms of action according to their chemical structure. Most of the commonly known hallucinogens such as LSD, psilocybin, DMT, mescaline, DOM are chemically either tryptamine or phenethylamine. The effects of tryptamines and phenethylamines are attributed to their actions on the 5-HT (serotonin) receptor system.
    This topic is complex and not fully understood. It would probably take me hours to accumulate all the basic information and put it in a context that people with no knowledge of how the brain works could understand. If you're really interested you can start your research here.