Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1698 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Fems and Hermies (changed title from 'feminize your own seeds')

I hear many arguments if people should buy feminized seeds or not. I recommend buying normal seeds so you have both male and female. Then when they flower, separate the males and females. DONT KILL THE MALES LIKE YOU USUALLY DO. Then feed the males with with ASPRIN. You know...Bayer or St. joseph. Feed them the aspirin just like you would feed them your nutrients. For example, i have a 3.5 gallon bubbler bucket, i feed them with new nutriets every three weeks. Same thing with the aspirin (after flowering) i feed them 1 crushed 80mg tablet every three weeks. After the aspirin treatment, the hormones in the males should change dramatically. When both male and female are ripe, you should begin the mating process. Heres a trick i picked up to easily mate (i forgot the site). Get a wet brown paper bag, and put it on the male branch. Tight the opening of the bag with a rubber band and shake the branch for 15 minutes. Quickly take it to a female branch, tighten the opening and wait for the bag to dry. after it drys, shake the branch for 30 minutes. The females should be fertilized and wait a few days for the seeds to ripen. Plant the seeds and they should come up female in the future. When i feed the asprin to the males, i play it safe and put in one tablet. You might have better luck putting more in (like 1 tablet per gallon). I only tried this once and i had good success. Can some one try this and tell me their success? I never tried giving both sexes asprin...
    Dimebag Reviewed by Dimebag on . Fems and Hermies (changed title from 'feminize your own seeds') I hear many arguments if people should buy feminized seeds or not. I recommend buying normal seeds so you have both male and female. Then when they flower, separate the males and females. DONT KILL THE MALES LIKE YOU USUALLY DO. Then feed the males with with ASPRIN. You know...Bayer or St. joseph. Feed them the aspirin just like you would feed them your nutrients. For example, i have a 3.5 gallon bubbler bucket, i feed them with new nutriets every three weeks. Same thing with the aspirin (after Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

How good was your sucses ? Did you have 100% females or was it just good luck?
    Why the paper bag thing? Why not rub the two plants together to mate.
    I have heard of asprin interfearing with the gender of plants b 4 somwhere.
    I might give it a go.

I had a 100% success, each one was a perfect female. i planted 11 seeds...The paper bag is just my method of breeding them. You can breed them any way you want. Yeah...brushing them is ok. What ever way you like. The paper bag method guarentees that pollen has reached the female bud, and it wont spread pollen in the air much as brushing. There are many other chemical and even organic ways. You also can try the hormone "gibberellic acid" (what ever that is...). I think aspirin is safe and by far the best way. Many seed banks use aspirin to feminize their seeds. Post your success when your done. thanks.

Yeah i will for sure .
    I got a few nearly finished now in a week or so and i got a few different seeds left so i,ll do a cross breed while i,m at it . Ive never polinated female plants b4 , well not on purpose any way he he he.

i still wanna know how something like asprin can do this...

this should be in a different section.

Has anyone else tried this?

Never tried it. It's simple to make fem seeds using light stress or heat stress to force-herm a female into producing XX pollen.

But if you've got a known female... it's FAR more efficient simply to take cuttings and clone that sexy mama. You never know if her kids are gonna be as sexy as she was.

I've been feminizing using aspirin for years.
    I add uncoated aspirin (two aspirin per gallon, for 3 consecutive waterings) to my confirmed fems, at beginning of flowering stage. After a few weeks, they will produce a few pollen sacks filled with femmed pollen. Only draw-back is by the time the pollen sacks are finally ready to open, it's time to harvest. (but is ready to be painted onto next crop of fems)
    Have never heard of 'feminizing' a male's pollen, but definatelly do not want to have that much pollen/potential pollen floating around my growspace.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    But if you've got a known female... it's FAR more efficient simply to take cuttings and clone that sexy mama. You never know if her kids are gonna be as sexy as she was.
    Yes, but if anything catastrophic happens, it's nice to have a good back-up plan. (dogs, cats, light leaks, overfert...)

Good stuff I want to try this with some bag seeds. I don't think id risk it with seeds purchased online.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast