Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1734 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Fems and Hermies (changed title from 'feminize your own seeds')

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    But if you've got a known female... it's FAR more efficient simply to take cuttings and clone that sexy mama.
    depending on situation obviously...

2.   Advertisements

I tried this method twenty years ago, only because I wasn't at university yet, and had never read the scientific publications using silver nitrate and STS solution.

I would figure I got about 75-80% female seeds, but the rest were shemales. Hermies are natural, shemales are induced. In 1993, I read about the STS method and got 100% females everytime. Now my sprouting/seedling/vegging space is always a small, hot, humid box powered by daylight flo tubes, and I get better than 90% females from the strains I dare to use.

I figure the aspirin method is better than wasting time light/nute/water/heat stressing to get shemales.

do you have any info on the method to produce silver nitrate / collodial silver?

Silver nitrate can be purchased from a chemical supply house.
    Save yourself the $$$ and go bother the girls with a flashlight during their dark period, or yank them from their beauty naps. They'll be pissed enough to throw nanners just from the light cycle interruption.

Stinky...do you remove the lady from the flower room to light-stress her?
    I guess what I'm wondering is, do you remove the one lady before light's out, and treat her to a night of Jay Leno and bonghits?
    -Or-
    do you have to sneak in, zap her without zapping everyone, and sneak back out? My aspirin method works for me, but was always (just a little) curious about the light poisoning techniques.

Impressional minds want to know, lol.

the whole idea of feminization is just stupid ... a prime example of modern man's attitude of "I want it ALL, and I want it NOW" ... Ive grown for 40+ years, and only had a handful of males ... if you do everything according to the book, and make your seedlings' environment as good as it can be (without all the tricks and gimmicks) you WILL get predominantly females ... all you have to do is imitate Nature's 'best days', 18/6 light cycles, for example (nature does NOT provide 24 hours of sunlight a day), etc ...
    besides, none of these suggested 'tricks' are the result of 'double-blind' studies (Stinky, as a lab scientist, I'm very surprised you didn't also point that out) ... lemme give you an example of what I mean ... I used to drink beer by the gallons ... every time I planted crops I had a beer in one hand, and was half-drunk ... I almost always got 100% females ...using 'feminized' reasoning, it was the beer that made the females :wtf: ... just like that SuperThrive crap, if a plant survives, you give credit to the stuff, whether it mattered, or not ...
    I had NEVER used 'feminization' techniques, or used one single drop of SuperThrive, or gibberlic acid, or hormones, etc .... and I almost always got females in return ... perhaps it was my black T-shirt that was responsible (I almost always wore black T-shirts in those days, they must cause females, somehow) ... the only thing 'feminization' has done, is to weaken the genetics of marijuana, promote hermaphrodites, and make unwanted sex-reversal more common from weakened genetics ...
    sorry if I sound caustic, but I have always felt PATIENCE is the key to quality marijuana growing, and the lack of patience is ruining thousands of MJ crops around the world ... sometimes this sort of thing can have far-ranging, terrible consequences, seen any pure Columbian Gold or Panama Red lately ??... wise up, growers

Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper
    the whole idea of feminization is just stupid ... a prime example of modern man's attitude of "I want it ALL, and I want it NOW" ... Ive grown for 40+ years, and only had a handful of males ... if you do everything according to the book, and make your seedlings' environment as good as it can be (without all the tricks and gimmicks) you WILL get predominantly females ... all you have to do is imitate Nature's 'best days', 18/6 light cycles, for example (nature does NOT provide 24 hours of sunlight a day), etc ...
    besides, none of these suggested 'tricks' are the result of 'double-blind' studies (Stinky, as a lab scientist, I'm very surprised you didn't also point that out) ... lemme give you an example of what I mean ... I used to drink beer by the gallons ... every time I planted crops I had a beer in one hand, and was half-drunk ... I almost always got 100% females ...using 'feminized' reasoning, it was the beer that made the females :wtf: ... just like that SuperThrive crap, if a plant survives, you give credit to the stuff, whether it mattered, or not ...
    Gee...I'm sorry you aren't feeling well.
    But just a few minor points...

The analysis of feminizing that you present doesn't seem to take into account that those I learned the technique from, have been sucessfully doing this for many years. As have I. As have the Dutch.
    Does it concern me that you are a doubter? Not especially. But I'm not about to slam any of your methods, such as your 'lucky' shirt or magical beer. But since you seem well informed, please explain the where the donor chromosomes come from when no male is present, and their effect on the resultant seeds' chromosomes and genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper
    the only thing 'feminization' has done, is to weaken the genetics of marijuana, promote hermaphrodites, and make unwanted sex-reversal more common from weakened genetics
    I had NEVER used 'feminization' techniques, or used one single drop of SuperThrive, or gibberlic acid, or hormones, etc .... and I almost always got females in return ... perhaps it was my black T-shirt that was responsible (I almost always wore black T-shirts in those days, they must cause females, somehow) ... the only thing 'feminization' has done, is to weaken the genetics of marijuana, promote hermaphrodites, and make unwanted sex-reversal more common from weakened genetics ...
    sorry if I sound caustic, but I have always felt PATIENCE is the key to quality marijuana growing, and the lack of patience is ruining thousands of MJ crops around the world ... sometimes this sort of thing can have far-ranging, terrible consequences, seen any pure Columbian Gold or Panama Red lately ??... wise up, growers
    WOW, all that on one breath...
    Personally, I'm doubtful that the feminization of seed stock is as responsible for the demise of Maui Wowie, Panama Red or Colombian Gold, Fallbrook Sens, as over-hybridization is. As was taught to me..."Going hermie" is a genetically imprinted trait within the genes of the plant to insure propogation of the species. If the fem hasn't been pollinated late in the season, or gets stepped-on by a wolly mamouth, she takes matters into her own hands. This is a species survival technique, not a disaster.
    Unfortunatelly, with the genetic variables, some strains are more suceptable to 'turning hermie'. This coupled with many growers inability to offer their ladies pristine growing conditions ends-up compounding the situation.
    Perhaps if it were not for those whom originally decided to cross indica and indica, sativa and sativa, indica and sativa, and sativa and indica together, (40 years ago) to get a more potent, disease-resistant and stronger plant (and growable in their local region) with the flavors we now have, we may still have access to these strains. But...do you miss the Edsel, too? C'mon...these strains departed, when...in the 70's? What's really wrong, Image? We're here to help.

Yea smoked and thought it over great no phenomenal idea cheers mate cheers I'm doing that as soon as my seeds come.

guess I'll go out and buy some Bayer stock, and be grateful for the gullible ... they're your seeds, to do with as you please ... and, I don't know why you think I'm not feeling well, or are concerned so much for me, but thanks for the nice thoughts ... good luck

The content of your post seemed so incredibly disparaging that I mistakenly thought you were feeling under the weather.
    Some examples:

"Ive grown for 40+ years, and only had a handful of males"

Ummm...sure.

"I used to drink beer by the gallons ... every time I planted crops I had a beer in one hand, and was half-drunk ... I almost always got 100% females ...using 'feminized' reasoning, it was the beer that made the females"

I'm begining to think it was being half-drunk that did the trick. You are comparing apples with Chevy Trucks. Getting drunk has no bearing on the genetics.

"just like that SuperThrive crap, if a plant survives, you give credit to the stuff, whether it mattered, or not"
    Some folks don't have ideal soil or frets, and thus need micronutes.

"I had NEVER used 'feminization' techniques, or used one single drop of SuperThrive, or gibberlic acid, or hormones, etc .... and I almost always got females in return"

If you have never tried any of the techniques or additives you mention, then what data source are you using for your 'facts'?

I don't wish to make an enemy, as I generally like your contributions to this site and I applaud your feelings on patience. But at some point, facts and the ability to learn have to dominate over inuendo and ignorance.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast