Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1614 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alright, blokes. Stop wanking and hear ye', hear ye'.

I found this amusing.

Grammar
    Singular and plural for nouns

* In British English, singular nouns that describe multiple people are often treated as plural, particularly where one is concerned with the people constituting the team, rather than with the team as an entity. The singular form is usually used in American. For example, British "the team are worried"; American "the team is worried". American may use the plural form when the individual membership is clear, for example, "the team take their seats" (not "the team takes its seat(s)"), although it is often rephrased to avoid the singular/plural decision, as in "the team members take their seats". The difference occurs for all collective nouns, both general terms such as team and company and proper nouns (for example, where a place name is used to refer to a sports team). Proper nouns which are plural in form take a plural verb in both American and British English.

Examples:
    * British English: "The Clash are a well-known band." American English: "The Clash is a well-known band." Both: "The Beatles are a well-known band."
    * British English: "New England are the champions." American English: "New England is the champion." Both: "The Patriots are the champions".
    * Differences in which nouns are the same in both their plural and singular forms, such as the word sheep. In American English, shrimp is such a word, but in British English the plural of shrimp is shrimps. (Shrimps is occasionally heard in the southern U.S., but is otherwise rare, apart from its colloquial use as a pejorative term for small people). An unusual example is innings, which is both singular and plural in British English, but for which a separate singular form (inning) exists in American English.

Use of tenses

* British English uses the present perfect tense to talk about an event in the recent past and with the words already, just and yet. In American usage, these meanings can be expressed with the present perfect or the simple past.
    * "Have you cleaned your teeth?" / "Did you clean your teeth?"
    * "Have you done your homework yet?" / "Did you do your homework yet?"
    * "I've just got home." / "I just got home."
    * "I've already eaten." / "I ate already."
    * "Smoke the already bloody bowl."/"Smoke the shit, will ya'?"

* Similarly, the pluperfect is occasionally replaced by the preterite in the USA; this is generally regarded as sloppy usage by those Americans who consider themselves careful users of the language.
    * In British English, have got or have can be used for possession and have got to and have to can be used for the modal of necessity. The forms which include got are usually used in informal contexts and the forms without got in more formal contexts. In American speech the form without got is used more than in Britain. American also uses got as a verb for these meanings, e.g. "I got 2 cars", "I got to go".
    * The subjunctive mood is more common in American English in expressions such as: "They suggested that he apply for the job". British English would have "They suggested that he should apply for the job" (or even "They suggested that he applied for the job"). However, the British usage ("should apply") is also heard in the United States.
    beachguy in thongs Reviewed by beachguy in thongs on . Alright, blokes. Stop wanking and hear ye', hear ye'. I found this amusing. Grammar Singular and plural for nouns * In British English, singular nouns that describe multiple people are often treated as plural, particularly where one is concerned with the people constituting the team, rather than with the team as an entity. The singular form is usually used in American. For example, British "the team are worried"; American "the team is worried". American may use the plural form when the individual membership is clear, for example, "the Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

pass us the blower.

*best Brittish English Accent* -Beachguy your a bloody wanker-
    interesting I guess...but each of these can even be broken down further by slang and language used by different ethnic groups.

i didnt read all your thread....i read most of it but skipped through bits.....but here is how i work out whats what.....

They "are"

It "is"

know what i mean....

i learn all that shit in school.

You gotta know the British & Americans well, if your country wants to sell those waffles.

I guess, no one wants to catch my little, tiny joke that I implanted within the passage...

yea i saw it

Quote Originally Posted by beachguy in thongs
    You gotta know the British & Americans well, if your country wants to sell those waffles.

I guess, no one wants to catch my little, tiny joke that I implanted within the passage...
    "Smoke the already bloody bowl."/"Smoke the shit, will ya'?"

already noted :rasta:

penis post

Quote Originally Posted by Az.
    i didnt read all your thread....i read most of it but skipped through bits.....but here is how i work out whats what.....

They "are"

It "is"

know what i mean....
    I didn't read most of it, either.

Or, in Britian.

I most didn't read either of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast