Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1543 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

LED grow lights... input please.

hey turtle420 I found some really cheap led bulbs that fit standard 120v socket (are you in the states?) in red and blues (these people have got to be selling them for this purpose) anyway they range from 7 to 23 bucks, I can email you the link if youd like. so I dont believe it will be necessary to have something created and its cheaper this way anyway.

SeedBare,

Very very usefull... interesting... reading it right now...

As to sending me he link, yes please; ineedit06 at hushmail.com
    Yeah, I'm in the states.

Reading right now... I'll re-post in a little while...

We're on to something seedbare! I tell you! We're on to something!

3.   Advertisements

superbrightleds.com

some of those bulbs you use with the 12vdc thing you plug into the wall, but some of them use standard 120vdc not all of the bulbs are the right ones just the ones in which you can choose the color (hate to point out the obvious but hey)

some of those bulbs you use with the 12vdc thing you plug into the wall, but some of them use standard 120vdc not all of the bulbs are the right ones just the ones in which you can choose the color (hate to point out the obvious but hey)[/QUOTE]On that site it says "We do not offer anything bright enough for general household lighting. LED bulbs are used for accent and other low light applications." They can't be appropriate for growing.

growing with led's has nothing to do with lumens or brightness. it has to do with wavelength.

Guys,

Just blow this off if it has no bearing but two things came to mind from this novice's collected fragments of info on grow lighting.

1. Is that often mentioned rule of thumb applicable to other bulb types where isn't overall wattage supposed to be a significant measure of growing capability?

2. Other thing was the prism effect in nature... suggesting here that in considering a selection of wave lengths you - being more familiar with basic fundamentals than me - could prob refine estimated wave lengths on the basis of calculating differences in angles - seasonal changes - and then finding the true or existing data on the refraction and prismatic effects of the atmosphere - and somehow come by better figures for the wavelengths that way.

Sorry if totally inapplicable tho.

turtle420, did you get the impression that we would be stuck with the round format? Would there be any advantages to rectangular arrays?

Nice find tho, really interesting, given the reduced heat advantages.
    All the exhaust/blower $$$ could go back into the lighting but I'd definitely downplay that aspect in discussions with the R&D dudes.

Out.

Yeah according too the led light study you would need about 216 (around there) watts of led lighting to equal 1 1000w hps light.

someone in the uk is selling the rectangular red led's cheaply just search under led lights at ebay and you'll get about 31,000 hits. from everything I have seen so far you would need to buy many many led bulbs to equal 200 watts

Rezinator,

I think that the rule of thumb of watts for growing capability, does apply.

As to the different wavelengths just as in nature... the idea kicks-ass. It would be very cool to have an LED array that, instead of turning ON/OFF, could start shutting off individual LEDs in the time-frame of, say, 30 minutes. So, during those 30 minutes, the plants will get a quasi-sunset effect, with different colors of light and everything. Interesting...

As to the round/rectangular array... yes, that's one of the advantages that we can have... we can basically build any kind of shape with these LEDs. I would preffer round for simplicity... BUT, ideally? I would have rectangular shaped panels of LEDs. You could hang those on top of the plants and on the sides... I mean, one of these panels will probably be about 1, maybe 2 inches thick. So they will be pretty versatile regarding mounting options.

I can envision a grow cabinet with all the walls and the "roof" covered in LED panels... wow... those plants must really get some wavelengths!

Over and out... keep us updated everyone!

-turtle420

PS: Sorry if this post is kind of incoherent... I'm still half-asleep.

what are you trying to do? save money on electricty?

grow your own marijuana, the regular way and give up on your led dream

Quote Originally Posted by seattle420
    what are you trying to do? save money on electricty?

grow your own marijuana, the regular way and give up on your led dream
    Thanks for your input seattle.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast