Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1484 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How to keep weed fresh

A blurb from the dispensary I go to:

-------------------------------------------

Cannabis is a perishable product. They are simply dried flowers, like many herbs. Some techniques can be employed to make them last. The three things to remember are C.A.L.

Cool.
    Airtight
    Light resistant

COOL - Storing at room temperature will cost you a heavy penalty in aroma and flavor from the cannabis' evaporating essential oils. The loss of these oils also likely lessen the effects of some strains that have pharmacologically active oils such as limonene. As for cannabinoid content at room temperature, you won't lose much, since THC degrades slowly over time into the less psychoactive CBN. At CRC we store all our cannabis in temperature controlled wine refrigerators at a temperature between 52 and 55 degrees F. A lignum-vitae temperature-controlled custom walk-in humidor would also work, if you're both rich and somewhat insane. If you're neither of those things... at home, the vegetable drawer of your refrigerator works very well.

AIRTIGHT - reduces oxidation and drying in your meds. However, it's important that you allow limited gas exchange, in other words, you need to vent the normal gases that accumulate in stored cannabis to keep it from going anerobic in storage. With very fresh meds that still require a little cure, this means opening the container a couple times a day. With well-cured meds, once every couple of days is fine.

LIGHT-RESISTANT - The biggest enemy of medicinal cannabis is ultraviolet rays from the sun, which quickly degrade THC and oils. Always store your meds in a light-resistant container.

One last note about plastics and glass as storage mediums. If you choose plastic, make certain that it is chemically-inert, like polypropylene, so that the plastic doesn't react with the terpenes and phenols found on cannabis. Some of these natural chemicals react with plastics to create formalin, the precursor to formaldehyde (embalming fluid). Don't store your meds in baggies or other soft, oily plastics. Glass is an excellent storage medium, but use dark amber or cobalt glass. The only drawback to glass is that it carries a static charge that can collect trichomes from cannabis. At CRC, we use opaque polypropylene containers for our patients and large glass containers for storage.

--morpheus
    Cornerstone Research
    Current Vapes: Purple Days
    Past Vapes: VaporGenie----Iolite-----VaporStar----Da Buddha----Zephyr Ion

How to keep weed fresh

Use slices of fruit to keep your buds moist. Try it.

*About me*
    Author of The Cannabis Grow Bible
    Author of The Cannabis Breeder's Bible
    Contributor to The Marijuana Anthology: Grower's Secrets Revealed
    ALL ON AMAZON!

Amazon.com: The Cannabis Grow Bible: The Definitive Guide to Growing Marijuana for Recreational and Medical Use (9781931160582): Greg Green: Books

Amazon.com: Greg Green: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Contact me directly at Greg Green| Facebook or at Greg Green| MySpace

3.   Advertisements

How to keep weed fresh

I keep mine in a mason jar, but one that appropriately sized. Too big and you see your crystals wasted all over the place, too small and you gotta nearly grind the shit to fit it in there.

Go to Michael's, or Joanne's. They have all sized mason jars for like a buck or two!

How to keep weed fresh

the best way to make sure your weed doesn't go bad is... SMOKE IT!

How to keep weed fresh

hi, i've bought half and ounce of some hybrid, and in takes me like 3 months to smoke it all, i have it stored in a mason jar of 3.5 ounces in was the smallest I can found, but it is too big and there is a lot of space with air, what can I do?, can I use some material to fill it?.

How to keep weed fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cool20
    hi, i've bought half and ounce of some hybrid, and in takes me like 3 months to smoke it all, i have it stored in a mason jar of 3.5 ounces in was the smallest I can found, but it is too big and there is a lot of space with air, what can I do?, can I use some material to fill it?.
    Your fine,that space of air is actually kind of a good thing :jointsmile:

How to keep weed fresh

Be careful trying the orange peel trick. I did that and my stash got mold, and ruined the whole damn thing.

How to keep weed fresh

Dittos on the mason jar. Little space in there wont hurt it. After its fully cured try storing in the refrigerator in the jar(s). Take them out shake them around lightly, take the lid off and let them set till the jar comes to room temp about once a week. Never had any trouble using that system. Now you can get into trouble if you put it in the jars while its too green and dont burp it enough. If the stems are still pliable its not fully cured and should be burped once a day or you might get mold on it.

Goob

How to keep weed fresh

Remember if you freeze it the trichomes are brittle as glass and will break off all over the place when you handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stankystank
    put it in the freezer keep it fresh

How to keep weed fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Goober328
    Dittos on the mason jar. Little space in there wont hurt it. After its fully cured try storing in the refrigerator in the jar(s). Take them out shake them around lightly, take the lid off and let them set till the jar comes to room temp about once a week. Never had any trouble using that system. Now you can get into trouble if you put it in the jars while its too green and dont burp it enough. If the stems are still pliable its not fully cured and should be burped once a day or you might get mold on it.

Goob
    If the drying and curing done really well, then storage should be easy. Just make sure them pot are not exposed to high temps. Fridge is okay and can really prolong the shelf life. Allowing the to breath periodically also helps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123