Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1658 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When to add cal/mag

I can't find any info on when exactly to add it. The bottle says seedling, but that's too vague. The second set of leaves are just starting to show. Thanks for the help
    SSDIPainGuy Reviewed by SSDIPainGuy on . When to add cal/mag I can't find any info on when exactly to add it. The bottle says seedling, but that's too vague. The second set of leaves are just starting to show. Thanks for the help Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

When to add cal/mag

...yeah man, you can't find an answer because there is no single answer, or maybe the correct answer would be 'you add it when you see your plant's need it', there are just too many variables that effect the answer that there is no way to answer.

i suggest you post up some pictures of your setup and describe, in some detail, your chosen style of grow, what media you are using, what your feeding regimen is, etc, etc, etc, this way experienced growers will have a better chance of giving you advice that is actually applicable in your specific situation.

peace, SOG

edit: i see now that you are in DWC so determining when and how much cal/mag to add is still subject to your water quality, if you have hard water you need less cal/mag and that less often, if not you need more and more often, ...this is why experience is your best teacher, learn to read your plants and they will tell you when and what they need.

When to add cal/mag

seedling means very small plant. there's probably a ppm for cal/mag but don't know what it is. you can give some now if you want. you probably want to web search for the amount or call the company and see what they say.

When to add cal/mag

Hi, Painguy,

They are still a tad young for cal/mag, unless your water comes from volcanic soil wells or R/O filters.

In places like Florida with a limestone base, adding cal/mag to tap water is unnecessary and can get toxic.
    Your water company sends an analysis once a year.
    It will tell you what to expect, but watching your plants closely, will tell you what they want.

You can probably give them a few more weeks before you need to think about cal/mag.
    But it does get important when they begin to flower.
    It takes very little so don't overdo it.
    Less is more.
    Love kills!

Aloha,
    Weeze

When to add cal/mag

Appreciate the info, thank u. I am using ro water, so I know they are not getting any now. Weez, do I just wait and look for symptoms like red stems, yellow leaves, or start a diluted regimen at a specific time? I know seedling means a small plant, what I was questioning though, was whether there was a specific definition as to when it is no longer a seedling. For example, I didn't know if it was no longer a seedling at say, the 5th set of leaves. That kind of thing, but thanks for the info. As always, I appreciate the input.

When to add cal/mag

Just watch the cotyledons.
    Them round ones.
    When they start to shrivel and yellow, it's time to start light feeding.
    Very light, at first.
    If you watch closely you can keep the cotyledons green and healthy looking right up to flowering.

When they pop their 3rd set of serrated leaf, go ahead and call them seedlings.
    By the 6th set, I call mine saplings.
    They thrive on flattery.

Call them Ishmael, if you wish!
    It no matter.
    Point is; Every plant is a little different.
    They do try to tell us what they need, and we eventually learn to read them.

Aloha,

Weeze

When to add cal/mag

I know they will tell me what they need, the problem is, they're speaking Chinese lol. With this being my second grow, I haven't learned their language yet, so to speak. It's just frustrating not having the experience under your belt, I know it will come, but it sucks not knowing stuff.

When to add cal/mag

Speaking Chinese, what variety is this I wonder?

When to add cal/mag

Quote Originally Posted by Weezard

They thrive on flattery.

Weeze

Or maybe it's your co2. But whatever it is they do love the attention.

When to add cal/mag

I just wish I knew what it was they were trying to tell me. All I do at this point, besides read, is watch for them to get off track then check all of the variables until I find one that is wrong. My garage is getting too warm, I'm gonna have problems if I can't chill the water. Any ideas besides expensive chillers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Amount:

Enter a message for the receiver:
BE SOCIAL
GreenGrassForums On Facebook