Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1655 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Newbie Having Problems

Hello Everyone,

I am very, very, very new to all of this. Basically, one of my friends had a few plants and gave me one of them. From what I have gathered, I think he had his lights too far away because this plant was all stem and no leaves when I got it. I'm not sure how old it is, but my problem is that the leaves keep getting more pale, the older they get.

As new leaves form and grow, the older ones droop, and start fading. Some of them are even white. I'm not sure what to do, and need some help! I have it in a pot, using regular Miracle Grow potting soil, with two natural daylight 1600 Lumen CFls, and one natural daylight 1250 CFl trained on it. I have been giving it some liquid nutrients but the closest to the 7-9-5 guideline I could find was 7-7-7. I'm not looking to be the best grower out there, and really this is my trial run before I see if I want to invest in this, but I really would like to do this as well as I can. Provided below are some pictures.

In this picture you can see that the leaves behind the most current set growing are fading and looking rather frumpy.
    Attachment 298114

In this picture you can see the leaves towards the bottom not growing, and are very faded.
    Attachment 298115

And a whole picture.
    Attachment 298116

Sorry, don't know why they are turned to the side. Anyway, if you have an suggestions please let me know!
    ChrstphrHtch Reviewed by ChrstphrHtch on . Another Newbie Having Problems Hello Everyone, I am very, very, very new to all of this. Basically, one of my friends had a few plants and gave me one of them. From what I have gathered, I think he had his lights too far away because this plant was all stem and no leaves when I got it. I'm not sure how old it is, but my problem is that the leaves keep getting more pale, the older they get. As new leaves form and grow, the older ones droop, and start fading. Some of them are even white. I'm not sure what to Rating: 5
    [align=center]
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widely available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal[/align]

2.   Advertisements

The red stem says the PH is too low.
    That locks out Phosphorus.
    Attachment 298117
    Because she can't process Phosphorus, she is looting the fan leaves for mobile elements.

As for the best way to fix that, I'm not much help.:stoned:

A real grower should be along shortly to advise.
    While you wait, I suggest you visit our archives and look it up.
    Just click on the first line in my signature.

Aloha,
    Weezard

Thanks a lot, I had no idea a red stem was a bad thing...yikes. I'll have to get some hydrated lime and a ph tester. Thank you.
    [align=center]
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widely available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal[/align]

Just an update, shes looking much worse. I'm currently flushing the system, but not sure what else to do.
    [align=center]

high man, first let me say welcome to the hobby and let me also assure you it is well worth the effort required to learn to grow successfully and reliably.

...now, as a brand new grower the first lesson is for you to understand, in your gut, that this grow isn't important except as a learning experience, even if that means you've learned some of what NOT to do, so long as you learn from this experience, it won't have been wasted time, even if it ends in 'failure' you will still have yielded much knowledge and experience.

anyway, you should know that Miracle Grow isn't so good for cannabis, some do ok with it but some have tremendous trouble, especially the inexperienced and being new i'm sure you struggle with when to feed them and such, ...in the beginning it can be awfully confusing.

so my advice is for you to take a mulligan of sorts and switch your style from a sometimes unforgiving soil grow to a stable and easy to run passive hydro technique called 'hempy buckets' which are an adaptation of ancient Roman technology that is brain dead easy to run and will produce some amazing results, more importantly, because they are so easy and stable to run, you will have the time to relax and learn to watch and read your plants.

anyway, here are a couple of links to supply's that you can have shipped from Amazon for small money that will do the job nicely for you as they have for me these last several years.

COCOTEK 5KG BALE

2.2 lbs. - MaxiBloom - Bloom Stimulator - Hydroponic Nutrient Solution - 5-15-14 NPK Ratio - General Hydroponics..

...and some examples grown in coco hempy's that were fed nothing but MaxiBloom from rooted clone right up to the pre-harvest flush.

Attachment 298177

Attachment 298178

Attachment 298179

note also that these were grown in 2liters of coco only, that first pic is a pair of White Rhino's that yielded nearly 2zipz each.

Attachment 298180

anyway, if you do some research you will find much information on the technique, be sure to avoid any advice from anyone who seems wedded too deeply in dogma, the technique was introduced by a guy who calls himself 'hempy' or 'dalaihempy' and while he has some skills, there are some sycophants who are best ignored, generally speaking, they take issue with ANY deviation and create trollish turmoil thereafter.

peace, SOG

Yes...If I was you, I would run to any nearby garden store and buy a PH tester and get a handle on the ph, like weezy sez...For no matter what you grow in or whether you use MG or coco or do hydro....PH is rather critical to any good grow and if you're guessing Ph, you're missing out completely on learning anything else...There are Sticky's about it if you wish to know more about it, search and read. From my experience, if the Ph is right on, everything else is ez. Hope this helps!

Having had made about every mistake in the book there is to make, I think I recognize a couple of things from your pictures. First, how often are you watering? They look like they might be drowning to me. Are you letting them dry out completely before hitting them with water? Remember that these are weeds, and they actually thrive if you torture them a little in this regard. Definitely get that ph meter too, and keep the ingoing water between 6.8-6.3.

Second, there seems to be quite a distance between nodes on your plants, indicating a lot of stretching, so your friend definitely had the lights too far away. Get your lights right down on them, no further than 4" away.

Lastly, forget nutes. You are in miracle grow, which already has the little nute balls in it. Anything extra until mid flower is likely to kill your baby off.

Alright, so from doing further research I decided to reorganize the growing area, ditch the soil, and restructure my lights. I added two more natural daylight CFLS, ditched the soil for 100% perlite, and bought a bottle of Fox Farm Grow Big. I will invest in a ph control kit, because apparently that seems to be my biggest problem. as for how much I was watering, maybe every other day when the soil was getting crusty on the top. From now on, I'll go with less is more.

Unfortunately since the last time I posted, things have fallen apart. Because I hadn't gotten a response right away, I kind of got anxious and overloaded on the nutes, which basically killed the plant. I'm hoping that with the changes I've made, and the addition of having better control over the PH will be able to save her. Here are some pictures of the sad state of the plant, and my new arrangements. The pictures that show the plant in the soil are from before I made any changes. I'm hoping theres some positive changes soon!

Attachment 298218

Attachment 298219

Attachment 298220

Attachment 298221

Attachment 298222

Attachment 298223
    [align=center]

And, yes, I know I messed up...
    [align=center]

live and learn my friend... bet you dont make the same mistakes next time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast