Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1655 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Stealth home Maintenance?

Ok so I lost part of my pipes thanks to this arctic blast!

So I reached for the phone to call someone and decided against itâ?¦..does anyone here have any ideas about how to have repairmen to your house?

Not much smell yet- but there are items in the basement - which he may have to get toâ?¦.

Better yet- any good youtubes on fixing this pipe myself? I tried it once and it held for about 22 hours- then blew all over the kitchen - big messâ?¦what did I learn? 1. do not catch the curtains on fire with a blow torch and 2. call a plumberâ?¦

Any ideas are helpful

Please and Thank-you!
    crystaliscious Reviewed by crystaliscious on . Stealth home Maintenance? Ok so I lost part of my pipes thanks to this arctic blast! So I reached for the phone to call someone and decided against itâ?¦..does anyone here have any ideas about how to have repairmen to your house? Not much smell yet- but there are items in the basement - which he may have to get toâ?¦. Better yet- any good youtubes on fixing this pipe myself? I tried it once and it held for about 22 hours- then blew all over the kitchen - big messâ?¦what did I learn? 1. do not catch the Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Depends on the failure mode.
    There is an epoxy putty that I used for a small, (1/2" long), split in a copper pipe.

Drain the water, dry and clean the pipe.
    Knead the yellow and blue putty until it turns uniformly green.

(Hmmm, the stuff on amazon isn't yellow and blue, that was a nice feature.
    Anyroad, the local H.D. or Lowes should have it.)

Then pack it tightly around the pipe and wrap very tightly with strips of cotton cloth.
    Let it set for the recommended time.
    Then, let it set for a bit more.

When you turn the water back on, do it very slowly with a downstream tap open.
    Then, turn that tap off, slowly, and check for leaks as the pressure rises.
    Mine lasted 15 years that I know of.
    Was still holding when I sold the house.

"We don't need no steenking plumbers!"

Aloha,
    Weeze
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

Thanks Weezard!!! I have used that puffy before on other stuff, yes it will work!!!! Trying this weekend and thank-you!!!!

Puddy not puffy- autocorrect!

Quote Originally Posted by crystaliscious
    Thanks Weezard!!! I have used that puffy before on other stuff, yes it will work!!!! Trying this weekend and thank-you!!!!

Puddy not puffy- autocorrect!
    Puffy, your go to in most situations, mine too!!

Weez good job, filing that away.

Another option. Blow touch means copper to me. Can do exact replacement part and secure with compression fittings. Tubing cutter works well on copper, and you could build replacement where handy, instead of where not. Replacement needs to be the same.

Weezard - thought they put water lines on top of ground there because it doesn't freeze

Was not raised in Hawai'i.
    Gets damn cold in Ohio.
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

Quote Originally Posted by Weezard
    Was not raised in Hawai'i.
    Gets damn cold in Ohio.
    Very smart move!!!

Been to the store yet?

Not yet- I think I have some puddy in the basement- I used it last yr to stick stones together... Got to wait til I can get in the crawl space - what was just ice has turned into mud.... So hopefully I can ( or my partner) crawl down in there tomorrow- it's a weird crawl space- you crawl behind the hydrangeas then have about a 3ft drop - that looks like that sinking kind of mud-good thing it's only one bathroom- it's an addition and the original plumbing is in the basement so we are still functioning!