Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1675 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

How do I fix soil that I made too wet for seedlings?

I started germination on the 18th using paper towel method. On the twentieth I put them into soil, wetting the soil before I put the little sprouts in. Only half have came above ground. I dug around to see what was goin on and it looks like the seeds that have not sprouted have rotted. The soil has not dried out since the day I planted. I'm thinkin the soil is to drenched. Does anyone have any solutions for me, I'm super bummed, these seeds were expensive I have them in a dome, a heating pad underneath and three t5 basically sitting on the dome. I used miracle grow seed starter, it's peat poss and perlite. Plz help
    Clossc Reviewed by Clossc on . How do I fix soil that I made too wet for seedlings? I started germination on the 18th using paper towel method. On the twentieth I put them into soil, wetting the soil before I put the little sprouts in. Only half have came above ground. I dug around to see what was goin on and it looks like the seeds that have not sprouted have rotted. The soil has not dried out since the day I planted. I'm thinkin the soil is to drenched. Does anyone have any solutions for me, I'm super bummed, these seeds were expensive :( I have them in a dome, a heating pad Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Use the paper as you did keep very moist let root grow till seed shell is gone.Don't try to separate from the paper cut around it make a big hole placing eye up gentle bury leaving eye up in soil of choice keep moist.I use peet moss pellets when roots show through plant them.Just sayin

Try running a fan directly over the soil. The extra air flow will help dry the soil. Make sure your heating pad is set on a low temp, you don't want to cause heat stress to the seedling. Also, use the paper towel method, but like Clossc said, Wait to plant the seedlings until the taproot starts to break thru the shell. When planting, face taproot down into soil, only about a 1/4" and cover lightly. DO NOT PACK THE SOIL. The remaining shell should fall off naturally as it breaks thru the soil. Also if you have a lot of moisture build up in the dome you may need to open it for a few hours at a time through out the day.

Good luck, Keep us updated

Thanks guys, the soil seems better now, half of them still didn't make it but I sucked it up and bought some more so I'm gonna try another batch as well. Will defs take your guts advice this time around. Will post pics soon.