Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1508 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Help...I have a runaway beanstalk

Just like Jack I planted a magic bean and its shooting toward the clouds,but its going to bump into a 1000w hps reflector first.Day 20,4 plants...the one I'm having trouble with is the only one from seed (LA Confidential) and it has grown over a foot in the last week,towering above the other 3 and about 16" from the reflector.It has 2 main stems and the stems are thick and healthy.What are my options?This is my 2nd grow,on the 1st I had one get taller than the reflector and tied it over to the side but that cola never grew any larger the final 3-4 weeks,hoping to somehow avoid the same this time around...thanx

floor to reflector - 61" (will be able to raise it 1" or 2" tonite)
    top of soil to reflector - 50"
    top of plant to reflector - 15" (I could swear I pulled 16" an hour ago :wtf: )
    GATXBUCK Reviewed by GATXBUCK on . Help...I have a runaway beanstalk Just like Jack I planted a magic bean and its shooting toward the clouds,but its going to bump into a 1000w hps reflector first.Day 20,4 plants...the one I'm having trouble with is the only one from seed (LA Confidential) and it has grown over a foot in the last week,towering above the other 3 and about 16" from the reflector.It has 2 main stems and the stems are thick and healthy.What are my options?This is my 2nd grow,on the 1st I had one get taller than the reflector and tied it over to the Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Top it. You are in Veg, control the plant to the size you want. I purposely want short plants myself, so I don't allow them to get to tall. I LST them and top 'em. Check the T5HO vs. HPS thread for my examples, the original mother was 5 feet tall.
    Mine are finishing at a max of about 16 inches, two at only 10 inches with multiple "Main" Cola's. That's why I like the T5's, they don't shoot to the sky if you keep the light close. (like under 6 inches close). I wack their heads off in veg,(I am doing 3 of 4 without topping this round to see what happen's) and tie 'em down.
    Control the plant I say, don't let the plants control your space if you can avoid it.

One option is, grow the tall plant horizontally. One plant can become a dozen plants if you can support it with roots. That means a large pot. It can really produce and is great where numbers of plants can be an issue.

Day 20 of the flower phase OMB...not veg,my bad.I do need to learn a few tricks in veg to keep this from happening,this is the first one Ive grown from seed and wasn't expecting such a big difference in growth.Shovel,I was thinking about throwing a little stand together out of 2x4's that I could lean the bucket (5 gallon) over @ around a 45 degree angle,is this what you mean by growing horizontally?I'm pretty sure the roots would be solid enough by now to hold it up.

Top it off buds are in stems

Its already budding,are you saying to cut the tops off now?

Leave the bucket as it is. just train the plant over a little at a time. When the soil and roots are wet is a good time. I did this with two of my outdoor plants 2013 and they produced very well.

tie downs,bondage,training etc....can be a positive method with height restrictions.Done right can also increase yields somewhat.

I just tied the 2 branches straight down to the rim of the bucket,just cinching it snug.About all I can do @ this point I reckon.If it gets above the reflector I can hang my t5's over it.Ive found several videos & blogs on training from seed so I should'nt have this problem again...thanx for the input.