Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1534 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

new guy wth LED/tent ?

thanks again Weez what you say is ringin more and more true. Just cancelled the G8 unit( im sure the correct model wasn't even shipped out yet so the wrong shipping was a blessing). I'll check out those suggested brands and their prices. I found one that looks pretty damn good: TruLite. This guy seems to have really dialed in only the needed wavelengths, 2reds 2blues 1 IR (claimed to increase chlorophyl and flower production). Cant tell ya the exact nm's. But i feel it to be a very efficient and honest product. He rates his units in actual draw too, not nominal.They're modular and can be daisy chained. Also he sourced out led's that are supposed to be more accurate than common suppliers resulting in more efficiency. BUT, I am a handy diy guy and can solder. Makin' my own panels sound very appealing. Always did but didnt know where to start. Sounds like I found the right place and guru. :hippy:

no hurry...feel better

2.   Advertisements

new guy wth LED/tent ?

also...decided multiple small panels should provide better coverage than one large unit.

new guy wth LED/tent ?

Yikes!
    This set off my bullshit detector:

"Accuracy. Plants experience their peak growth when given the proper wavelengths of light that correspond to photosynthetic pigments. If those wavelengths are off by more than 1%, a grower could end up with a 200g yield instead of a 400g yield."

Puhleeze!

Could be written by some dolt in marketing, so I'll go back and dig a little.

L8r
    Wee
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

new guy wth LED/tent ?

Ahh I love a good LED thread I am very interested in building my own LED panel. While I already have a pre-fab, store bought, I would love to add more lighting in my cabinet.

new guy wth LED/tent ?

re the 5x5 tent... i've been told the sq footage of a tent should match the lights ability to fill that area. IOW, if one is trying to set up a smaller area of plants i.e. 2x2 or 3x3 within the 25 sq's using a light designed for the 2x2 or 3x3, even if properly placed above those plants, light is lost or wasted in filling the whole space.
    true? LED's are more focused and directional than hid I believe...

new guy wth LED/tent ?

"light is lost or wasted in filling the whole space, true?"

Yes, and no.

Most led emitters have a "lambertian" pattern.
    For practical purposes, call it 180°.
    (Gas discharge lamps are app. 360°)

In a 4 X 4 room, with a 4 X 4 lamp, servicing the plants is a chore.
    And the lamp footprint is calculated for open space.

In a 5 X 5 cabinet, with reflective walls, a 4 X 4 lamp is ideal for the plants, and the grower.
    If you try to stuff a 5 X 5 room to the max. it becomes a serious chore as they get bigger anyway.
    Just not enough elbow room, or coverage.

I think that "Solar Flare" lamp is lensed to 60°.
    Have to go back and look again, but the point is 60° lensing would be tight for those dimensions.
    90° would be mo' betta for that area.

Ideal, for me, would be 2. 4x4 arrays in a 5x10 space.
    Alas, not an option here.
    But, if you are defining your own space . . .

This:
    Attachment 297819Attachment 297820

is how I tested for reflectivity and space usage within an enclosed space.

Start with a stable source and distance, then try different reflective surfaces.

(The reflectix won, followed closely by Titanium oxide white paint.)

Aloha,
    Weeze

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

new guy wth LED/tent ?

Quote Originally Posted by d00g
    Ahh I love a good LED thread I am very interested in building my own LED panel. While I already have a pre-fab, store bought, I would love to add more lighting in my cabinet.

It actually is quite simple.

Whipped this together in 2 or 3 hours:
    Attachment 297821
    Then tested it for sheer power with a solar radiometer:

Attachment 297823Attachment 297822
    Nominal 65W.
    Actual, ~48W.

Then I had a cake pan lying around doing nothing:

Attachment 297824Attachment 297825
    Those are 15W. emitters.
    Named it Woof!
    Nominal 75W. Actual 54W.
    It's my main veg. light until they get tall and need more penetration.

For that, I used a cookie tray with 3w. emitters and mounted lenses:

Attachment 297826

This can grow 5 footers and it's only 50 Watts.

I did these to peak efficacy because we pay north of $ .40 per KWh.
    I can not afford to waste photons, yah?

Tell ya what, D00g.
    Start a led build thread and I'll come kibbitz.

Aloha,
    weeze

- Mark Twain

new guy wth LED/tent ?

Yeah d00g. Hook up with Weeze here. You certainly can't go wrong. Look at that craftmanship. Havent seen work that tight & precise since my dad died. I've wanted to try leds for a while now, just can't afford to make make the move. But when I can, Weeze, you'll be the one I'll be watching!

new guy wth LED/tent ?

Yea doog, Weez makes it look and sound so simple, almost too simple. Almost magic. Want to see you guys go start to finish.

I keep looking at that chart posted and scratching my head or was it my ass? Any way dumbfounded. Right from his start!!

new guy wth LED/tent ?

This sounds like fun and looks pretty straight forward. Plants dont care about commercial brands or pretty housings--light is light. Custom designing for your personal needs sounds very cool.
    to max out a 5x5 for ex. maybe spread out four square panels 'bout 150 actual watts each? or a couple @ 250W each? or??
    5w diods? 3?
    Those Lumigrow units look pretty cool with the variable adjustments for the blues and reds for veg to bloom shifting. A rheostat for the blues and one for the reds?
    Lotta questions re lenses, heat sinks, etc. best sources

first what kinda panel then a parts list eh?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast