Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1686 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Question about starting a seed in a bubbleponics system

Once the seed has germinated, does it go right into the net pot? It seems like the hydroton would not be suitable for that small seedling. I guess I could start it in a rockwool cube but I keep reading how they stay too damp. Ideas?
    SSDIPainGuy Reviewed by SSDIPainGuy on . Question about starting a seed in a bubbleponics system Once the seed has germinated, does it go right into the net pot? It seems like the hydroton would not be suitable for that small seedling. I guess I could start it in a rockwool cube but I keep reading how they stay too damp. Ideas? Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Question about starting a seed in a bubbleponics system

apparently what happens is the root grows downward in response to the pull of gravity. you probably want to put a seed in sideways, so the longer axis is parallel to the floor. rockwool does stay wet but you don't always need to get it wet. you can use the brown root plugs also sold in grow shops, which are a mix of rubber and peat. these are very good and dry out faster. in the early days of the grow, you need to keep the seed and plug or rockwool wet by dipping a cup into the water/fert mix and pouring that over the plug and seed. do that several times a day to keep the seed wet. use kind of a low ppm amount like maybe 500 or so, until the roots are threw the hydroton and into the water/fert mix. then raise the ppm amount over time and just keep an eye on the pH/ppm values to maintain a consistent environment for roots.