Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1692 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP! leaves turning brown

Hi i am a first time grower and i am having problems with my plant i am not sure if its from over feeding or what i am using 24-8-16 mairical grow and i feed my plant once every 4 to 5 days i usually water when my gauge is at 1.5 at the bottom of my pot and the top soil is completely dry. it seems like its only the fan leaves that will turn completely brown and over time it works its way back until the leave is pretty much gone.. the other leaves only get it at the tip but it don't go any further back on the leaves. my temp is any where from 69-72 and my humidity is 42 sometimes it will go up to 45 i have a few pics for you to look at just looking for some good help..like i said im new to this and i understand its a huge learning process
    kstrong Reviewed by kstrong on . HELP! leaves turning brown Hi i am a first time grower and i am having problems with my plant i am not sure if its from over feeding or what i am using 24-8-16 mairical grow and i feed my plant once every 4 to 5 days i usually water when my gauge is at 1.5 at the bottom of my pot and the top soil is completely dry. it seems like its only the fan leaves that will turn completely brown and over time it works its way back until the leave is pretty much gone.. the other leaves only get it at the tip but it don't go any Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Normally, Miracle Grow potting soil is buffered to a ph of 6.9...usually not a problem.

Last week I bought 2 bags for transplanting and the ph was very low 5.8 - 6.2

It killed 6 vegging plants. I added lime; trying to nurse 6 more back to health.:wtf:

The pH could be an issue but also is this, 24-8-16, which is just too high of nute content. That 24 of nitrogen is too much and giving some every 4-5 days is too much. Fert burn is the term for leaf tips that turn yellow, then brown, and after a while of this the leaf will die. A plain water flush might be an order.

Yep, PP nailed it.
    That's nute burn.
    And from the damage pattern, I'd say that you started feeding them too soon.
    Seedlings need to be ramped up slowly.

From the new growth though, it looks like they are getting more tolerant.
    Cut back on the feeding.
    The damaged leaf won't improve, but the new growth will tell you when to feed again.

:twocents:
    And if you are using one of those $7 soil-moisture/PH/light meters with the dual probes, throw it out!
    They lose any semblance of accuracy as soon as the get dirty, then they lie to ya.
    Mo' betta, to just lift the pot.
    That give you an idea of how much water they lack.

I keep a small postage meter in the grow room.
    If a plant feels light to me, I pop it on the scale and see exactly how light.
    If a 16 Oz. beer cup filled with coco gets under 5 Oz. I add 2 or 3 Oz. of water.

You may not need a scale, but when I first used one, I was dismayed at how bad my guesstimates had been.
    Used to think I could tell what the RH was too, 'until I got a good RH meter.
    I had no clue.

Aloha,
    Weezard

so i flushed out my plant td i ran water threw until it started to poor out the bottom then i left it for a bit and put it bak under the lights. now should i flush it again tmr then leave it until it dries out or should i just let it dry out now.. then just cut my nuts bak from what i had them at to about half and just water ever week er so ? thanks for the help i appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by kstrong
    so i flushed out my plant td i ran water threw until it started to poor out the bottom then i left it for a bit and put it bak under the lights. now should i flush it again tmr then leave it until it dries out or should i just let it dry out now.. then just cut my nuts bak from what i had them at to about half and just water ever week er so ? thanks for the help i appreciate it!!
    The water that ran out of the bottom of the pot- was it clear or a dark yellow color like piss?

You want a clearish run off- then let em dry a fan near the soil may help too…..

Quote Originally Posted by crystaliscious
    The water that ran out of the bottom of the pot- was it clear or a dark yellow color like piss?

You want a clearish run off- then let em dry a fan near the soil may help tooâ?¦..
    the run off was a little yellow at first but when i stoped flushing it was clear.. so do i just let the soil dry right out now then use half the nutes i was before and see if that changes anything ?

just let the soil dry out. this will take a while, not sure how long, but probably several days. I wouldn't use that fert again myself, but how waiting for a while and see how the plant grows. you might not need to fert again for some time.

So i left it alone for the night and you can tell its making a big diffrence its already starting new growth.. the onlything i have to ask is the newer growth is like a bright green aNd the fan leaves are dark green is that ok i will post a pic just so yous can see for your self Attachment 297686

looks fine so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast