Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1665 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

AIR-POTS (Opinions - Experience?)

Quote Originally Posted by tlranger
    Very interesting... you guys have been talking double the roots and/or Just more roots!, for awhile now.

Now if I am told were growing for roots, for meds or something, I'll bow out respectfully. :jointsmile:
    My purpose for wanting to double my roots is for meds…..

2.   Advertisements

Bowing out respectfully, was betting Crystal was. There was a guy once, always said many parts are edible(useful).

not possible to transplant from realistically. These are for the final location.

Shovel at first glance I was sure you wrote the final solution��..got scared for a minute

Air Pots have been big for quite a few years in Europe - I think they were first invented in Scotland out of recycled tires - or recycled something else.

I see people on other forums who swear they make a huge difference.

They say they're a little tricky to pot up until you get the hang of it, but well worth it. As the roots reach the holes, they're air-pruned & the damage stimulates the plant to put out more roots. It's also supposed to give you a better root growth pattern rather than a tangled root ball.

I've also read reviews where people say they're no better than grow bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhandle
    not possible to transplant from realistically. These are for the final location.

Howzit Shove?

Have to disagree on that.
    I looked into them and they are just as easy to un-wrap as they are to assemble.
    That, and since there's less "circling" they love to be root pruned, so transplanting is a piece of cake.

It's the bags that I think of as their ready for harvest house.

You almost have to cut them to up pot.
    So it's mo' better to Stack them, cut around the base, and snatch the bottom out like a tablecloth trick.
    If you're gonna wreck a bag anyway.

The bags are mo' betta for me though.
    I flower outdoors.
    The thought of a thousand points of entry for Fungus Gnats just makes me shudder!
    With the bags, I can cover the surface with dryer sheets and not even have weep holes to worry about.

No quote me though, this is my first bag grow.
    If it's stellar, I'll buy a bolt of that fabric and roll my own!
    I can sew, and I'm very, um, frugal.

For good, first hand info, google "air pot grow log".
    Makes ya wanna try 'em.

Aloha,
    Weeze

weezard had a good point - if you have any problems with fungus gnats, you might not like them - again from what I've read.

seems like most people either love the air pots or hate them - kind of like everything else.

That was my initial impression, too!

Think I got the first one about a year ago. They work well, I suppose, just not for my schedule...

I grow in soil, and am used to watering every other day. The air-pots dry out too quickly on the perimeter, IMO.
    In order to use them effectively, I would have to water differently. (at least daily) One day would be a good soaking, the following day would be to water around the edge, very slowly, to try to wet the edge. Otherwise, it gets dry as a bone. Too dry! If they get too dry, the soil available to the roots is restricted. (What's the point of a 3 gallon pot, where only 2.5 gallons are usable?)
    And the watering kinda sucks, too. They tend to weep a good bit, especially if they've gotten too dry.
    IMO, they are better suited to hydro, where they would get wet several times a day.

I prefer the Smart-Pots to finish in. They don't dry out as rapidly, and the root systems are comparable.
    Only use the smallest Air-Pots, now. They are great for getting the root system started, and up-potting is a breeze. :thumbsup:

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Weezard

Howzit Shove?

Have to disagree on that.
    I looked into them and they are just as easy to un-wrap as they are to assemble.
    Weez. The pots I've seen are solid one piece plastic. One product is call 'gorilla pots' another is Botanicare "Hercules" pots. I'm not sure about the DIY materials but are they more like a grow bag or are they made of hard plastic like a regular pot but with slits and corrugated sides? I've never used them myself so you are probably correct. It may be possible to get the plant and soil out of the pot. But having to cut one open would not be good. They aren't as cheap as grow bags

Weez. The pots I've seen are solid one piece plastic. One product is call 'gorilla pots' another is Botanicare "Hercules" pots. I'm not sure about the DIY materials but are they more like a grow bag or are they made of hard plastic like a regular pot but with slits and corrugated sides? I've never used them myself so you are probably correct. It may be possible to get the plant and soil out of the pot. But having to cut one open would not be good. They aren't as cheap as grow bags
    I've seen the solid ones you mention.
    The Air-Pot version consists of a round disc for the bottom, which establishes the diameter of the pot. The side is a flat piece, that wraps the bottom, and is secured with two thumb-screws. Twist out the screws, and the sides come right off. :thumbsup:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast