Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1561 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

HPS keeps blowing

So, I'm using 500 watt HPS shop light for my veg setup. The problem is the light bulb keeps blowing. This is the third time during the last 2 weeks or so, and the second time in 2 days. I was wondering if anyone has experience with using these lights and if they have run into the same problem. I almost feel like I've got some kind of faulty housing that is somehow causing the bulbs to burn out. The grow I did before this I used the same type of light, and I don't recall ever having to replace the bulb... and that grow ran a very long time. (I kept the plant in veg state for a very long time to let it get huge)

I would think it's somehow related to overheating, I know these lights can get mega hot. And in fact, it looks to me that some of the glass/ceramic connector parts seem to be melting. The strange thing is that the lights blow in the morning (the last 2 days) when the lights are first coming on. I would think if it was heat related, the bulb would blow towards the end of the day when they've been running for 18 hours. Of course on that same note, maybe the bulb is degrading during the long day and when turned on the next morning, the stress on the bulb becomes fatal.

Any thoughts or ideas? I just got a bad ballast/housing unit? Or maybe I need to put a fan on the light itself to help cool things down?

Attachment 297562

Pic related: almost the exact model I'm using. Pic found on this board (although old) under indoor lighting.
    KeiserSozeh Reviewed by KeiserSozeh on . HPS keeps blowing So, I'm using 500 watt HPS shop light for my veg setup. The problem is the light bulb keeps blowing. This is the third time during the last 2 weeks or so, and the second time in 2 days. I was wondering if anyone has experience with using these lights and if they have run into the same problem. I almost feel like I've got some kind of faulty housing that is somehow causing the bulbs to burn out. The grow I did before this I used the same type of light, and I don't recall ever having to replace Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

HPS keeps blowing

Quote Originally Posted by KeiserSozeh
    I just got a bad ballast/housing unit? Or maybe I need to put a fan on the light
    Mega hot!! Betting on both - ballast can be bitches

HPS keeps blowing

Those shop lights use Halogen bulbs, not high pressure sodium bulbs.

HPS keeps blowing

You're right, thanks for the correction.

HPS keeps blowing

There ain't gonna be a ballast in that light fixture....It's a halogen shop light .....Maybe not the best light to use mainly because of the color rendering.....Halogens put out around 10,000 kelvin....Too much or to little usable color for growing....(You need around 2,600 to 6,500 kelvin) And they are way too hot to use very close to the plants.
    If you touch the glass halogen bulbs with your hands,the oils from your skin can rub off and cause hot spots on the bulb possibly causing premature burn out.Hope this helps some...........J

HPS keeps blowing

There ain't gonna be a ballast in that light fixture....It's a halogen shop light .....Maybe not the best light to use mainly because of the color rendering.....Halogens put out around 10,000 kelvin....Too much or to little usable color for growing....(You need around 2,600 to 6,500 kelvin) And they are way too hot to use very close to the plants.
    If you touch the glass halogen bulbs with your hands,the oils from your skin can rub off and cause hot spots on the bulb possibly causing premature burn out.Hope this helps some...........J

HPS keeps blowing

Gotcha, good call

HPS keeps blowing

I was hoping that Keiser was showing a similar fixture and that he does in fact have a ballast-igniter-capacitor starter.
    I certainly know about the halogen shop light they and the mercury do not use ballasts. Keiser said he's been replacing lamps so I figured that he would know if he has a unit with a ballast or not??? He mentioned the ballast.

HPS keeps blowing

I use these kind of lamps in my work and have repaired MANY of them..Tried them to grow with....Not much help unless you're trying to keep things warm......J