Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1649 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hybrid genetics breeding question

so the male plant pollenates the female plant.... so my question to create a hybrid would it go something like this :

have male plant of blueberry dream strain and have female plant of girl scout cookie ... when the male pollenates the female her offspring would be a cross of the two correct ?? just curious as I am wanting to get ready for next spring I thought about growing out a male and a female this winter and collecting the new seeds to plant next spring ..... but hell if that is not how its done then I don't want to waste my time on a male plant .. know what I mean ?
    Da_Toker Reviewed by Da_Toker on . hybrid genetics breeding question so the male plant pollenates the female plant.... so my question to create a hybrid would it go something like this : have male plant of blueberry dream strain and have female plant of girl scout cookie ... when the male pollenates the female her offspring would be a cross of the two correct ?? just curious as I am wanting to get ready for next spring I thought about growing out a male and a female this winter and collecting the new seeds to plant next spring ..... but hell if that is not Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

You got the basics, kinda late to start now for this spring, viable seeds take longer that smokable bud. But pollen is very saveable stuff, collect and save on foil, store in cold. Pollinate with a paint brush, be the bee.

And the male can be somewhere else

I have some questions for you on this Ranger if you don't mind…..
    I have made seeds by keeping the male in flower long enough to put a female with them for a few days- and then put the little lady back in flower, she didn't take any longer and I actually got viable seeds very quick, within 3 months- i know because I had 100% germination on em

But what I want to become an expert at is saving that pollen, got a beautiful little pedigree here I want to save before I get those roots and for some reason this intimidate the hell out of me….wierd huh?

So to collect the pollen I just let it bloom on out, then gently 'tap' the pollen into foil, fold it up and freeze it - right? How cold? I also read to take several 'envelopes' because once you thaw it out you cannot re freeze it?

Does this have any effect on genetics when you freeze the pollen- I have no problem keeping a daddy if it does….

Thanks Ranger!!!!!! And Thank-you DaToker for bringing it up I have been meaning to ask about this…..

Ok, give it a try, first I'm no expert at this and my knowledge is pretty old(like me). Worked with producing hybrid and varieties of various crops at state unive5rsity. But working with our favorite came while working with old man who aspired to be seed man and breeding expert. I was growing bud with him but like your talking he was always experimenting.

After planting seed run, and growing thru veg(maybe 6 weeks), then start the bloom cycle. Males always seem to come first. Got pretty good at spotting them early, long ago. I would pull off the table and set aside and concentrate on the girls.

Mellow would look at these males, and strictly based on morphology(looks), pick 2 he liked best. Take these two inside the house. Where he had set up a large tote that was lined with foil and lighted by bank of t5's. The foil would be cross wise so their would be maybe four pieces. He would take the plants and lay them down in the tote, pot on each end and tops toward middle. Then bloom them, think he would shake or tap them, didn't take very long for the foil under the plants to be covered by yellow/tan powder. Then plants would go and the foil folded packets. most would go into freezer, in a regular filing system that contained other pollen and seeds, all labeled and stored.

Then would bring one packet out to grow room and paint a few buds on a chosen female. Did this very early and seeds were located in the base of the bud. Would let this female go as long as possible, last to be picked. Your three month time frame sounds about right. Ones harvested at two months for bud seemed to have white, immature seeds. But the later pick showed good looking seeds. The pollen seemed to spread through the grow some, but not bad. The painted buds yielded several seeds.

In this first indoor grow with him, grew ak47 - which was breed back to itself, and crossed with my Canadian medical(a clone taken over). All looked good. Next grow with him got busted so don't know how the seeds turned out! Saw him later and still had his file going so think there was some storage life, he bragged but bragged on all his. He would take all his vacations to British Columbia and send home samples.

Gave him some cali bud, he said it was to strong for him, but wanted some seeds to do a cross, and at some point is willing me some of his collection, but not yet!!

Very similar to what I do. I just use white paper, then fold down the middle & funnel the collected pollen into a film canister, vitamin or prescription bottle, tape around the edge of lid to seal, lable date & strain & pop into freezer. The one thing to keep in mind is moisture kills pollen, so when ready to use, let the container sit out & reach room temp before opening to prevent condensation from getting the pollen. I too have been told you can't refreeze, so I would reseal container & put in fridg & use it up within a month, tossing it out after that. Back in the 70's & 80's, I used to give a few friends pollen, & they said it was still good after 3 months in fridg, but to be sure, I still just toss after one. I found swapping pollen more conductive than trading seeds. Cuts out one whole generation of growing to get a good male!

P.S. just remember to let sit till room temp before opening, even coming out of fridg.

P.S.#2 When I pollinate lower buds, I harvest the top when buds are ripe, leaving the lower to finish the seeds till they're so ripe they fall out with just a gentle touch. Imedietly after harvesting the top cola/ buds, I give a shot of bloom food to fatten up the seeds.

Oh yeah, don't forget to let sit till room temp before opening even when coming out of fridg.
    -- On the seed thing. Pollinate lower buds? Harvest the unseeded top when ripe, leaving seeded buds to ripen seeds untill they fall out when you shake over a pillow case or whatever, feeding a bloom food as soon as you harvest tops. Helps fatten up the seeds & gives them energy to store for germination & pushing up out of the soil. Many people don't think about feeding the seeds while still on the mother plant, but it helps.

ok here is something further to wonder about ...

so collecting pollen ... would one be able to collect pollen from two or three different male plants of different strains and then combine all pollen to pollenate a female..

do you think the product would be a combination of the different males or what ever ones pollens was strongest to pollenate ??

Pollen is like sperm, the one that makes it, give the seed its genetic info. The rest are them shut out. But each seed gets a different piece of pollen so there are genetic variation. Each seed slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by tlranger
    Pollen is like sperm, the one that makes it.
    lol I was going to reference that, but wasn't sure how sperm talk would go over on the forums community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast