Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1698 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

DWC-Bucket-System-Grow my equipment and questions

"For soil growing and new growers I usually suggest they keep it very simple, which means a potting soil grow and in the US foxfarm and roots brand soils are widely sold with good success. To raise the fert level some, I usually suggest that these people use powder ferts like foxfarm's fruit and flower, just one half cup of fert for every two gallons (4 liters) of potting soil. Then you just add water when the soil dries out. It doesn't get easier. you can do what you want and the hydro idea is fine but maybe play with it some using other seeds, like tomatoes if you want. The soil grow will just take longer. also, please avoid using "faggot" here. thanks."

That is excellent advice!

Sorry about typing coco.

Forgot you were DWC,
    With the title, right in front of me.
    I blame good meds. :stoned:

The advice still stands though, especially the never let it dry out bit, yah?

Did DWC for a couple seasons, but found the air pump and bubbling noises to be increasingly annoying.
    All night long.

Coco is kinda of a solid state hydro, but still gave too much yield, so I went to Sunshine mix #4.
    That cut the yield in half and helped me stay legal until RSO needs sent me back to coco.

Had I had PP's advice, and the budget for large amounts of good soil like FF, I'd probably be in soil.

Aloha,
    Weeze
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

2.   Advertisements

Typo in my post above - 2 gallon of soil is equal to about 8 liters.
    Interesting that weeze likes the powder fert use as he's the first to say so. I've been talking about that here in plant problems for years. People used to think I was full of it but that was the group of years ago that insisted root rot was the source of all problems.
    weeze, you meant "dry out" right? not "never dry out." you want the soil to dry because that's the only way that oxygen gets to the root zone. this needs to happen. It's why you put air pumps in a dwc grow or use sprayers in an aeroponic grow. Need that oxygen to the root zone.
    The powder ferts are great for growers that don't know how to hydro too well or just want a "water and forget it" approach. There are other brands for this like dr. earth and whitney farms.
    Here's a site that has a lot of great info. Marijuana Nutrient Problems

?? How is hydro cheaper than dirt, all hydro growers seem to have a long need to buy list?

PP said:"weeze, you meant "dry out" right? not "never dry out." you want the soil to dry because that's the only way that oxygen gets to the root zone. this needs to happen."

Nope, meant exactly that.
    Why?
    Because coco is not soil.

Letting soil get a bit dry is OK.
    This is not the case with coco.
    Different media, different rules

Because of it's structure, it can still let the roots breath when it's quite wet.
    That's why I call it "solid state hydro."
    Letting it dry out as much as soil can kill your plants!
    (Just like hydro)

And it wants different nutes than soil.
    Should have all the trace elements, not just the big 5, and a lower PH.
    Been using Dynagrow, (a liquid fert), but it tends to precipitate over time, so I recently switched to H&G -coco.

"If you are not part of the solution, you are a precipitate."

Dunno what you mean about "powder ferts"
    Elucidate, please.

Aloha,
    Weeze

[QUOTE=Growlie

The problem is that I don't want to pay for thousands of seeds to get a harvest like I would get with a hydro one. [/QUOTE]

How many acres are you planting? :jointsmile: :what:

Thanks for all your replys.

I thought long time about using DWC or soil. And my final thought was - if I make a mistake now - I would make it later either. Even if I start after soil with DWC - I still have no experience with it.

I also think that my 2 month free time is a nice time to begin learning how to deal with DWC. After wednesday im done with my finals and I think I'll start next weekend germinating the seeds.

tlranger that was a bit exaggerated haha but there wasn't just the seedcostsargument not to use the soilmethod. polishpollack thank you for the pH tip will remember it when preparing the water .

I'll be watching your time framing with interest. :jointsmile: go get em. :thumbsup:

tlranger, did I say hydro was cheaper? If so, my bad, I know it's not necessarily cheaper.

Weezard, "solid state hydro," pretty funny. don't know it, never did it, didn't realize it... on the oxygen, that is.
    Powder ferts are the ones that used to come in boxes, but the companies that make this stuff have all pretty much switched to ziplock style bags. The brand names foxfarm, whitney farms, and dr. earth are examples, and are useful in potting soil as they are designed for indoor and container growing as they contain the bacteria and fungi necessary to break molecules down and assist roots with nutrient uptake. These are ferts that are in powder form, not crystal or liquid. They are usually 100% organic or close to it, as they pretty much have to be because chemical ferts will kill the beneficial bacteria that are placed in the fert to begin with.

Growlie, not bashing your choice to use DWC. It's a good method. It's easy when you understand a few critical details to watch over. best of luck.

Just curious, do you think it's okay to just water your supersoil plants with water from your DWC? I've been keeping a separate bucket going with distilled water and oxygenating it with a pump and airstone and using THAT to water my plants, only letting them dry about twice a week. I go light on nutes rather than heavy and I seem to be doing okay. I think learning how the plants tend to behave and solving problems makes you a better grower, there are things you'd never learn taking a purely academic approach.
    All posted content is for novelty purposes only, all images and descriptions are duplicates from various sources and are not original content, and I take no liability for them.

Hai,

here's a short update for those who wants to know.

UPDATE:

As above-mentioned did I plant the seed on Saturday (18.01). After 4 Days the seed sprout out of the rockwool. Today after 10 days there are 2 characteristic cannabis leafs which started to turn yellow at the tips tonight. I just flushed everything with pH-balanced-water. Now I'll continue monitoring it if it spreads or not.

To be continued.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast