Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1676 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice on my next grow

Getting ready to start my next grow but I want to improve some things. I grew hempy buckets last time but I want to add a drip system so I don't have to hand water so much. Basically I want to have a res with a pump and an air stone and use that to water the buckets. Would I be better off just making an rdwc and losing the hempy buckets? All advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    SSDIPainGuy Reviewed by SSDIPainGuy on . Advice on my next grow Getting ready to start my next grow but I want to improve some things. I grew hempy buckets last time but I want to add a drip system so I don't have to hand water so much. Basically I want to have a res with a pump and an air stone and use that to water the buckets. Would I be better off just making an rdwc and losing the hempy buckets? All advice is greatly appreciated, thanks! Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Advice on my next grow

Sounds like you need to look into bubbleponics, well I guess it would depend on how much space you have, RDWC would take up a bit of room.

taken from the Deep water Culture Wikki.--> The term "Bubbleponics" describes a top-fed deep water culture hydroponic system. Basically, the water is pumped from the reservoir up to the top of the roots (top feeding). The water is released over the plant's roots and then runs back into the reservoir below in a constantly recirculating system. As with traditional deep water culture, there is an airstone in the reservoir to help add oxygen to the water. Both the airstone and the water pump run 24 hours a day.

Advice on my next grow

Hey there, I made my own last time I grew hydro. I used 5 gallon buckets with netted pots, a cheap water pump from the garden or fish section, a small drip irrigation kit, and some tubing from the sprinkler section. Used my brain and just went at it. I had 6 large plants and needed a pump that could handle that volume of water. It all depends on how big you go. Just search the web for advice and diagrams.

Good Luck! and Happy Growing

Advice on my next grow

I picked up a sweet 18 gallon black recycling tote from Wal-Mart for $10, very sturdy and it has a portion of the lid that flips up so I can see the roots. I'm laying out the design on paper so I can see exactly what I need. Amazon has great prices on pumps, water and air. I want to use drip rings but would I be better off using a drip nozzle that I can place right at the base of the plant? Thanks guys

Advice on my next grow

You can set up a drip, but depending on how much you can care for the plants, it may not be necessary. I'm thinking just bubble bucket, keeping the water level high so the roots are covered with plenty of air being pumped into the water. You'll have to hand water at first, until the roots start getting down into the water/nute mix. Just dip a cup into the water mix, then pour it from the top, down the roots. Do this until the roots are making their way into the water. You would probably have to do this 3-4 times a day to ensure the roots stay wet. If you can do that, you might try just dwc because it's the simplest way to hydro. reservoir is fine but if something goes wrong with the fert mix, all the plants are affected. individual dwc, in my opinion, is a better way to hydro. If you must use drip, you could consider putting one bucket inside the other, with holes drilled at the bottom of the inside bucket and the water pump placed inside the outer bucket with tubing running up to the top. That would be cool too as it would make for individual dwc grows, preventing the fert mix from being shared by all plants. The problem with these ideas is that you have to spend the money or more air or water pumps if you are growing more than one plant. If you really want to reservoir, you can build one for much cheaper than what they are sold for.

Advice on my next grow

What did you decide to do?

Advice on my next grow

Sorry, been tied up with school (adult student) I am going the bubbleponic route, one tote, 2 plants, not a recirculating system. I'm going for a perpetual harvest setup so in 4 weeks I'll get another tote, create another complete setup so all systems are independent. One pump with an air intake so air is mixing with the water, an air pump with two air stones, 15gal tote with 2 net pots. I think it's a legit setup. Thoughts?

Advice on my next grow

Sounds good. if you used a drip system, you've have to buy or build the plumbing necessary and while this may not sound bad, it makes things more difficult. Why do that when you can bubble? The problem with using large totes is that they tend to require a lot of water, but you may not mind that so much. Just remember that dwc grows kick ass when done right so don't put this in a small space because even two plants can overgrow a large closet. If you want to try the plumbing route later, this will give you time to design and build. However, if bubbling works, don't change it. Now you consider your ferts. you'll probably want to get a pH/ppm meter if you don't have one yet. pricey, but worth it.

Advice on my next grow

I'm confused, you said why do the plumbing when I can bubble, what does that mean? I thought the system I built is a bubbleponic system. The pump sends water up to the base of the plant so nutrient rich, DO rich water trickles down over the roots. The water level is about a foot below the bottom of the net pot so the roots get the o2 and the res water?

Advice on my next grow

I don't trust hose clamps used on plastic couplings. My ex came along & over tightened the hose clamps on my ebb & flow system (back in the 80's) & caused a flood in the attic because he cracked the coupling. Straight up DWC is the most reliable type of hydro with the least amount of problems. One plant per bucket so if something goes wrong, you don't have issues with ALL the plants. Have you ever grown is soil? If you haven't & want to try something different, try organic potting mixes. Just one or 2 plants beside your hydro. As long as you don't over feed & cause nute burn, its basically more forgiving & CHEAPER.
    -- BTW, where the heck you been? I thought we lost you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast