Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1729 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ravaged by fungus gnats???

@Chromophore, Thanks, I appreciate any input. The soil I'm using drains fairly well. These things really became a problem when the temperatures and humidity dropped. I'm running a space heater in my veg room and the the soil dries fast. The plants will droop and sag in 36 hours after being watered if they don't get watered again. So they were getting watered about every 24 hours which, I guess, created an optimum environment for the gnats. I'm not sure how to get around that now other than by keeping the pots full of nematodes.

2.   Advertisements

I've been reading up on the best ways to get rid of these little devils as well as 200 other garden pests.

Heterorhabditis Bacteriophora also known as Beneficial Nematodes (Steinernema Feltiae) are microscopic warriors that kill soil borne pests such as flea larvae, spidermites, fungus gnat, weevils, grubs, rootworms, cutworms, and many more. These Nematodes search, find, and kill pests living in the soil. They are extremely effective, and will reproduce and spread to provide you with long lasting organic pest control. Safe for plants, pets, and people. May be applied in a mulch, with garden sprayer or watering can. Unlike other beneficial nematodes, the Steinernema Feltiae only needs to be applied every 12 - 18 months.

It sounds like the best and most natural way to rid the garden of annoying bug type pests.

Has anyone tried this?

The ones I'm using are the Steinernema Feltiae. I've used them along with the mosquito dunks which I crumbled and put in the soil. I also put two dunks in a five gallon bucket and have been using it to water with since. I watered with the nematodes 10 or 11 days ago for the first time and I've pretty much explained above what I've done since and right now I don't see a single gnat flying around anymore. There was practically a cloud of them 10 days ago. So I can't say for sure it was the nematodes or the dunks but both of them together have been extremely effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuel714
    How long do them in water? Scott's is decent but it is fairly cheap and may be where they came from. I've been doing this for a year now and have probably had the gnats for three months. So it hasn't always been a problem. I'm sold on Nematodes and mosquito dunks and will continue to use both as a preventive measure. I just repotted several plants and a few of them just had NOTHING left for roots. No wonder they're looking so bad.
    I'll assume the water question was for me. It varies actually. I have 2 unknown strains, and each one reacted differently. The shorter of the two strains seemed to root pretty quick, I'd say within 7 days, the other, taller one took almost 2 weeks.... that is if I am remembering correctly. There were some other things that seemed to effect how long it took also. When I started with these two clones, for instance, I put them both in clear containers. I'm finding that tends to slow things down because once I figured out the root system needed darkness and added a cloth over the clear container, roots popped with 48 hours. Since then, I've tried a couple other things. I have one that's in a bottle that has been covered with black tape to provide darkness, I have another that is in a colored bottle that provides some shade and some light, and then I tried some straight into soil with rooting hormone. I saw "Saving Grace" once again, and there's a scene in there when they are cloning and they go straight to soil with the rooting hormone. Out of all of these trials, the straight to soil performed the worst, by far. I lost 2 clones in the process and although some of that was due to me not using a humidity dome I'm still finding I like the water only method the best - going that way I have yet to lose anything. Everything I'm doing is for personal use, and I'm more concerned with quality than time or quantity for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I still want a nice harvest but with the crap smoke we have around here, I'd rather have more potent than just more.

Here's a couple of pics of what I have going on. The first two are pictures of the clones, which are in my flower room now. The third pic is of the clone in the colored bottle, and the last pic is the root system starting on the one that is in the bottle with black tape for complete darkness.

Attachment 297410Attachment 297411Attachment 297412Attachment 297413

Now, if you look at picture three, you'll see a bunch of white dots on the stem. These are actually the beginnings of the root system, and there are a couple of small roots. Picture number four shows a little of the same, but this time the roots have developed a little more. You can literally see the difference the dark has for root development, even though both are still rooting. These were both put into the water the at the same time, BTW. Picture number four with the small roots is off to a good start. For my personal tastes, the roots are still a little small, so I'll let that stay in the water a couple more days until most of the roots reach about 2" and have a nice, thick root ball.

The clones in pictures number one and two were started this way, and they seem to be doing great. A couple people have advised that I am perhaps keeping them in the veg cycle a little more than needed.... I let them stay in the veg room about a month after they were in soil so they would get nice and tall. They did, with one being around 3 ft and the other closer to 4. I was under the impression that once they hit flower they would stop getting taller and just bud out but alas, that was incorrect, so my flower closet is overflowing atm. Hey, more bud though, right?

Yeah, the question was for you. Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about putting my clones in water for a while now. It looks like it will be a while before I have anything to clone again now though. I had a hermie late last spring that I caught way to late. I was really bummed about it for a while at the time although it didn't turn out to be nearly as devastating as I thought it was going to. It did provide me with a good assortment of seeds. I'm grateful for that now. It looks like you take much larger cuttings than I normally do. I usually put mine in the jiffy pellets and wait till I see roots coming out before I put the whole thing in soil. It has been taking longer and longer for the roots to appear and I've been losing over 50 percent of my clones lately (as opposed to 0 to 1 or 2 percent normally). I assume the gnats are the culprit for that now.

It looks like you take much larger cuttings than I normally do.
    Heh heh, yeah. I seem to have a problem(?) with my plants actually being too big. I related a story in another post about one of the first grows I did where the darned thing got to be about 13 feet tall. At the time, I was all for it thinking, well I do have the space (large walk-in closet), and the more plant the more bud, right? So I bent and twisted that thing all the way around the room until it was just a solid mass of plant covering all four walls. That would have probably been a great harvest had I not gotten over paranoid about all the helicopters flying by and chopped her down too early. I guess that's what I get though for living within 2 miles of an international airport and not performing my due diligence about how FLIR actually works, or the fact that one single plant, no matter how big, is still not worthy of prison time (normally). Oh well, those were different, more prohibitive times.

Since then I've learned about cloning and being able to keep the plants quite a bit shorter. (I'm bordering on close to 5' on the biggest now) Still, when I take the cuttings, I normally lop off a good sized top piece and root that - which helps stunt the height. There's a pretty decent video on YouTube called "I grow chronic". My old roommate gave me a copy of it on DVD and most of what I've learned has come from that, up until I found this site.

As of right now, I'm actually torn between staying with mother-clone and moving to just the auto flowers. Since I don't know what strains I have in mother-clone I'm just having to wait until the first harvest to test things out and see what I want to keep. One plant looks really great, and the other seems to be a great producer although slower growing. I may end up budding out the mothers and cloning from the clones just to keep stock if they are good, or perhaps killing off one of the strains if it under-performs after harvest. The reason I'm torn about going to the auto flowers, is they seem to be much easier to grow and maintain versus the mother-clone process. If I could just put fresh seed into the ground every 90 days or so and come away with enough to last me 90 days with minimal space (no need for veg and flower rooms) and have some killer smoke, that seems like the best way to go. If you're up at 150 clones though, you're probably looking for more than just personal. At any rate, the latest seeds I started were some dark devil and black cream that I ordered from overseas. I was actually quite worried about that whole process since this was the first time I had ever ordered seeds. I was very happy with the way things turned out though. If you're looking to get some great seed stock, it's an option definitely worth considering although I would break up large orders into several shipments going to different addresses and none of them at the grow location. I detailed my ordering experience here at: http://boards.cannabis.com/rhino-can...ng-online.html if you're curious about the process.

The ones I'm using are the Steinernema Feltiae. I've used them along with the mosquito dunks which I crumbled and put in the soil. I also put two dunks in a five gallon bucket and have been using it to water with since.
    Question, where did you get them from, local or online?

@ThePinkJina, I got them on ebay. Dr Pye's Scanmask...There's videos on youtube on how to use them. I did not spray them on though. I just watered with them. @Keiser, I've never heard of either of those strains, let me know how they turn out. I got my seeds from BC. I started out with 4 different strains. They were all OK. I didn't pay much for them though and all in all I was real happy with the service I got from those guys. 150 plants is a lot for me, probably 2/3 were clones and 1/3 were seedlings. Like I said, I had just had a big come up in seeds. I was getting a lot of stunted growth and on top of that I had had my veg and flowering room together for a little while when summer ended. Its a big room and I had it sectioned off so I thought I would be ok but what happened was that my flowering plants got too much light (it wasn't much) and went back into vegetative growth. (another rookie mistake) So I'm kind of backed up. I try to keep it to where I'm harvesting something every week or two and I ended up going a good six weeks with nothing so being the neurotic I am I overcompensated and planted and cloned a lot more than I usually would.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12