Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1646 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

THC Bomb entering flowering stage; may need help.

thanks for weighing in, Weezard.

I had hoped you would.

strangely, I don't think there are junk yards as such here either, but it's a reasonable thought. but I'm not sure about light baffles and I don't have a light meter, per se.

what I can say is the first (F1) crop of this hybrid was grown on the patio but I convinced myself that the lack of dark was one of the issues. that crop never got to full ripeness and I began thinking there was a death gene spiced into this hybrid and that was reinforced by the second attempt which also died before it finished.

the original crop was mercilessly attached by bugs and ended up dying from fusarium. ( I came to realize that later ) I'm unsure what caused the second crop to fail but it could have been heat.

in any case you're NOT recommending I switch to all T-5 or removing the HPS in favor of the 6700K CFL's, right?

that would have been a quick fix.

damn the luck.

I have found growing pot to always be a little more expensive than I want, but it always beats paying street prices. An old wise one told me that. You have a very nice grow spot developed already, a new door installed with circulation fans top and bottom, and exhaust vent for hps cooling tube seems like money well spent. Moving the ballast out is a big plus.
    Light baffles are pretty straight forward, light travels in straight lines. Air can turn a corner.
    Switching light timing in the middle of a grow does not work for me. Might as well have a timer f#ck up. I do run at night 9-9 because of heat and to balance the usage load. Many power companies have an additional charges for high demand. Watering your patio at night might work well.
    Last on the list, switching to a dimmer light at the end of a grow works for me, think in simulates the fall season.

??? If neighbors might see the light, might they also see pot growing on the patio?

"in any case you're NOT recommending I switch to all T-5 or removing the HPS in favor of the 6700K CFL's, right?

that would have been a quick fix.

damn the luck."

Um, no, but I wouldn't rule it out.

If I was recommending lights for low heat, it would be LEDs.
    No contest!

Even a brand new door is cheaper than LEDs.

And like the Ranger said, light baffles are easy.

Food for thought.

Aloha,
    Weeze

4.   Advertisements

thanks for your input, tlranger.

when I grow on the patio, it is, or can be, visible to neighbors on either side. if they grow too tall, they are visible to anyone on the street. I don't let them do that. the neighbor to my south has seen previous attempts and says nothing, but my landlady is on my north. I put up opaque plastic to help keep her nosiness down to a minimum.

after this crop is finished, I plan on having some local bag seed sativas out there this year, again, but I plan on a horizontal grow. they take way too long under the lights, so outside is superior for them.

the present visible light is reflected but the glow is palpable and could pique unwelcomed curiosity, so I try to avoid it by closing the door before sunset.

the door into that room is in need of replacement, so Weezard's idea is workable. I have no idea how much a new door will cost, but I suspect it'll have to be a new door as I'm very doubtful I can find a used one. the current door is hollow core which could make fan installations more difficult, so maybe it'll take two doors. and since my only transportation is a small motorcycle...............they'll deliver, I'm sure.

as to the lowering of light, my last trip to the store revealed some 250W HPS but there were no other specs on the package and I didn't buy. luckily, I guess, my fixture accepts anything from 250-400 and both MH and HPS. that could be worth a shot, though I'm dubious.

in any case, the concensus seems to NOT be toward more T-5's or my CFL's. shame, that.

my current electric bill almost matches my rent, another reason I'm avoiding installing an A/C unit up there - which is well outside my budget anyway. so far as I know, there are no discounts for running the lights at night. too complicated for the locals and their 19th century electric meters and grid.

thanks, again, for the input!

the available LED lights here are Chinese. hell, most of what's available here is Chinese.

from what I've read on line, the Chinese LED's are notoriously unreliable plus expensive. I wasn't going there.

no doubt a new door would be far cheaper than LED's. in talking with the wife tonight, we can shop for a new door but not install it until we decide to move and this is likely to be my last home. I'm not getting any younger.

we also discussed the possibility of installing an A/C unit up there; the question then is, do you still think I need to destroy, I mean adapt, the door with inlet and outlet fans? that would mean the A/C would never shut off and drive the electric bill through the roof.

ultimately, that may be the only real answer but the costs put me off.

On ac units, have seen some very small portable units. Have ducting s that reminds me of large dryer tubing. Don't know how expensive to run, this go - till you decided, especially if you have some t-5s. I would probably start there. To finish the run.

those window installations are no longer available, it seems. they are not terribly expensive to operate, as I recall, but since I can't find one.............

the newer units are possibly even cheaper to run, but there would be no air exchange.

I'm encouraged that you think switching to T-5's could be a way to go. I'm not getting a lot of support on that, though.

in the next couple of days, I'll post pictures of the HPS fixture I'm using. I don't think it's adaptable to running a 'cool tube'. it's an outdoor spot light.

adding a top T-5 light (and killing the HPS) would cool the room off incredibly, but I'll load those up with warm light bulbs, I think.

portable A/C units make no sense to me, besides being more expensive than installed units. they've got to dissapate heat back into the same room they are trying to cool. that seems self-defeating.

Sunday is a day with the wife (tomorrow) but Monday, after taking and posting pictures, I'll see if I can bastardize my back up fixture and move that ballast to outside the room. I've put off that option as long lengths of wire decrease amperage to the unit. to relocate the ballast, it will require it to be moved some 6-10 meters and I'm not sure what the effect will be. I'm also skeptical if it will really make any difference to the temps in the room.

no matter what, I appreciate your attention to my issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Farang
    portable A/C units make no sense to me, besides being more expensive than installed units. they've got to dissapate heat back into the same room they are trying to cool. that seems self-defeating.
    Ones I had seen, one of the dryer style flexable tubes ran to an exterior window to vent hot air out side.

ah. well that makes sense. the ones I've seen here don't talk about that feature.

here is my 'extra' lamp. I've decided I can simply use this unit as the external ballast rather than cannibalize it. so now I'm off to the wire store.Attachment 298216Attachment 298217

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234