Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1732 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Skunk Smell- Your plant is trying to tell you something

I have been doing a lot of research on plants in general- I read that the plant releasing a strong odor is the plants way of actually communicating with you.
    I started paying attention to this- and it seems to be true.
    Ever noticed how some days are smelly, even in veg and others aren't so bad? When the odor is at it's height I found conditions that normally aren't what plants want- either wet feet, too dry or once I even found mites by looking closer because the smell was so intense. After fixing the maladies I found the smell back off a bit- til next time they wanted to let me know something was up.
    Smell is also a way that plants communicate with each other. By emitting a strong odor they are able to let plants around them know about pests, conditions and when they are ready to re-produce.Plants number one goal is to live and re-produce and when we do not allow the females to be pollinated- they emit that oh so sweet odor- trying to find the male..

So I tried an experiement with a small seeded cutting - and guess what- it only had a high odor when it was dry or had mites.Maybe we are going about this the wrong way when we add carbon filters - by removing the smell we cannot 'hear' or smell what our plants are trying to tell usā?¦.
    crystaliscious Reviewed by crystaliscious on . Skunk Smell- Your plant is trying to tell you something I have been doing a lot of research on plants in general- I read that the plant releasing a strong odor is the plants way of actually communicating with you. I started paying attention to this- and it seems to be true. Ever noticed how some days are smelly, even in veg and others aren't so bad? When the odor is at it's height I found conditions that normally aren't what plants want- either wet feet, too dry or once I even found mites by looking closer because the smell was so intense. After Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

i like the theory! nice work. iv found this to be true now that you mention it. i took my carbon filter out and re directed it to outside my room. now i can run my co2

So I now have a log book - smells and what they seem to mean.

just 3 so far but distinctly different - I know it's a little 'out there" but hey I believe these plants talk with smell!

ok so there is this skunk heavy smell- the kind that get;s in your nose and it's tough to get out- not quite like fresh roadkill but about a week out - after checking them they were thirsty- watered and the smell is gone…

There is this beautiful fresh green smell with a slight hint of musk - Comes right after fresh water ( distilled not tap…I really did NOT smell it after using tap) They are saying thank-you.

and this almost 'crispy burned smell' not like leaves burning- just a smoky smell in the air- they are cold….temps we too low with the cold snap coming through….

I will keep adding- going to test this on other fragrant herbs too- although I already know a few that respond with smell ( patchouli, tulsi and chammomile all respond with smell)

Learning a new language huh?

Yay I have a new smell!!!!
    Spicy, green almost sweet….. noticed by myself and my partner within minutes of my morning greeting to the little ladies " Good morning! Today is feedin day!'

so hunger or anticipation…..lol I hope I never get committed for some of my crazy ideas- but i guess they would feed me and keep me warm huh? LOL