Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1676 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Toy Box Grow

Whats up fellow knowledge seekers,

Its been a while since my last grow. I have started up a teeny tiny soil grow consisting of (1) (?Unknown?) seed I planted about 5 weeks ago. The grow space is a Toy Box that I bought for $20 on CL, the space is 2' x 2' x 50".

I bought a (3) Bulb "Vanity Light" from my local home improvement store. From my last grow I am also using a 4ft, (4) Bulb, fluorescent fixture. The vanity light has red spectrum cfl's and the 4 footer has blue spec.

I just changed the light cycle to 12/12, 2 days ago. I am using "Technaflora" Nutrients at 1/2 of their recommended dosages. I use half dose to reduce the risk of "Nutrient Lock-out"

The plant is about 26" tall, FIM'd once, and now has 3 tops. Its in a small 8" pot. I know its small but I am limited with vertical space. Lol! The soil is Fertilome Ultimate and is a really nice soil for the price.

Here's a few pics, Enjoy!

Attachment 297278

Attachment 297279
    ThePinkJina Reviewed by ThePinkJina on . Toy Box Grow Whats up fellow knowledge seekers, Its been a while since my last grow. I have started up a teeny tiny soil grow consisting of (1) (?Unknown?) seed I planted about 5 weeks ago. The grow space is a Toy Box that I bought for $20 on CL, the space is 2' x 2' x 50". I bought a (3) Bulb "Vanity Light" from my local home improvement store. From my last grow I am also using a 4ft, (4) Bulb, fluorescent fixture. The vanity light has red spectrum cfl's and the 4 footer has blue spec. I just Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Toy Box Grow

Hey PinkJina nice, clean setup. Maybe you could throw a reflector over those top CFL lights to direct that light straight down onto your plant, I bet it would be really good for her. I just switched to 12/12 on my first grow and I am really noticing some strong smells during certain times of the day and I looove it!

Toy Box Grow

That's a cool little grow cabinet you've got. A toy box? Different!

Toy Box Grow

Quote Originally Posted by d00g
    Maybe you could throw a reflector over those top Cfl lights to direct that light straight down onto your plant,
    Good idea, I have a reflector from my HID grow lights, "I'd love to use em, but the amount of heat confined in that small space would murder my baby" but I can rig the reflector to work with the vanity light.

What other suggestions/questions does the community have for me?

Toy Box Grow

UPDATE:

Pics are dated, so you'll know the time between. I need to find a good exhaust fan for cheap and get it hooked up. My temps are getting into the mid 90's. I switched out the lower wattage bulbs for 100w Red Spec CFL's. I leave the door to the cab cracked for fresh and cooler air flow. With the door cracked it gets down to 81. I have 2, 75 cfm, PC fans I was thinking about putting on top of the cab to exhaust the hot air?

I am planning on buying 2 more vanity lights to throw on the 2 side walls, $10/ea.

Also having a slight issue with Fungus Gnats. I need to find a good cheap remedy to rid my soil of these little devils. I've heard, mosquito dunks, neem drench, hydro-peroxide, 1 - 2" of sterile sand on top soil, Nematodes, which I HEARD IS THE BEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE, and a few other suggestions. I'm worried the larvae are going to destroy my root system. I only see 3 or 4 flying around occasionally, I really want to stop the larvae and eggs. The adults I can nab up using sticky traps.

Ideas, suggestions, opinions, comments.. Are all welcome and encouraged! I am knowledgeable and will return the favor when possible.

Attachment 297488Attachment 297489Attachment 297490

Toy Box Grow

It's all connected...

The issues you have with heat and pests all relate to poor airflow. I suspect you will find, as a I have, that a robust air circulation system that keeps your temps in the upper 70s, low 80s max, will also remedy the favorable conditions for fungus gnats, spider mites, various noxious spores... Are you monitoring humidity as well?

Yeah, experiment with some fans and air flow for sure. Now that you have pests, they are likely here to stay. Much harder to get rid of than prevent. You might address airflow, try your best, and then between your grows, make sure you clean your garden to the max with rubbing alcohol, bleach, etc., and let it go bone dry for a week or two. Start over with fresh air, and those little fuckers won't come around no more.

Toy Box Grow

Well its been a month since I posted last, but Its good to say I have been problem free for 3 weeks now, no pests, heat, or sicknesses. Slow growing, but thats because I am using CFL's. I dont have the space to setup my HID's. Ill take pics and post em in a few days.