Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1691 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

My GrowRoom - 10x Dutch Dragon - Paradise Seeds

And to add to OMB's story, I recently took cuttings from tops of the plants, domed, humidity and all that, and 2 of the 5 cuttings have already died. I'm going with twigs from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by Chromophore
    And to add to OMB's story, I recently took cuttings from tops of the plants, domed, humidity and all that, and 2 of the 5 cuttings have already died. I'm going with twigs from now on!
    There is some logic to it.

The terminal bud produces Auxins.
    Auxins retard the growth of the lower branches, giving Cannabis a pine tree shape.

Topping a plant removes the main Auxin source and allows the lower branches to grow.
    It's a survival thing.

I had slow rooting from lower branch cuttings, so went and did some reading, (can ya tell)

Given the Auxin information, it becomes obvious that topping, or fimming should be done several hours before taking cuttings from lower branches .
    When Auxin levels drop, they start a growth spurt, and I have had roots in three days!

The growth spurt needs water though, and without roots, the cuttings will be very stressed trying to transpire.
    We can mitigate that by keeping the light very low, (instead of chopping off half the leaf mass), until the water roots pop out.
    Then, kick the light up a notch and watch them take off!

Works so well, I quit using rootone, etc.
    Just hack 'em off with a rusty razor and plop em in a beer bottle full of tap water.

If it allows for lazy, I like it.
    If it allows for cheap, I love it!

Because sometimes, "Half-assed is more than good enough." (Our State motto, according to Weeze)

Aloha,
    Wee,

Excellent Weezard and it made me start thinking about Auxins and I recall that excessive amounts of Auxins, especially IAA (which is basically what "rootone" is) inhibit root elongation, but stimulate root production. So, you get initiation of a cluster of many tiny roots initially, rather than actively elongating forms. So its probably a good idea to flush the medium your in once adventitious roots initiate. This would also explain why your method works best, because the plant is directing the proper Auxins to the proper places. Even with my Salvia I have better luck just rooting in water than using rooting hormone and rockwool and all that fuss. I get lots of long roots. I also hate this idea of cutting the leaves in half. I've done it and had success, but why on Earth do we want to add yet ANOTHER stress to what this poor little cutting must endure. Humidity up, light down, leaves ok.

Indeed!
    Then, when the cuttings need energy the most, those half a leaf babes are way behind in both stored, and light-generated, energy, yah?
    I'm jus' sayin' no throw away what will be useful later.

Aloha, y'all

Wee
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

5.   Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345