Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1623 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

What is this in my alcohol extract?

When I make RSO, I do so using 99% Iso alcohol.

When I do th4e first rough filtering of the oil/alcohol mixture, I'm left with a sandy appearing stuff at the bottom of the unfiltered alcohol.

What is this sandlike substance? and should I be doing something with it?

Thanks
    abekl Reviewed by abekl on . What is this in my alcohol extract? When I make RSO, I do so using 99% Iso alcohol. When I do th4e first rough filtering of the oil/alcohol mixture, I'm left with a sandy appearing stuff at the bottom of the unfiltered alcohol. What is this sandlike substance? and should I be doing something with it? Thanks Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by abekl
    When I make RSO, I do so using 99% Iso alcohol.

When I do th4e first rough filtering of the oil/alcohol mixture, I'm left with a sandy appearing stuff at the bottom of the unfiltered alcohol.

What is this sandlike substance? and should I be doing something with it?

Thanks
    The sand like substance is the stuff you do not want in your oil. What exactly it is specifically, I am not sure. It is good that you let it sit and allowed gravity do some of the filtering for you.

Filter it back and fourth a couple of times from bowl to bowl allowing the sand like substance to sink to the bottom before running through the filter so it does not clog the filter up too badly.

What should you be doing with it? As far as I know, dispose of it. It is the trash of the plant as far as I am concerned. It is the stuff you want to filter out before making the oil, it is not THC.

My opinion anyway.

I agree with GG.
    That's airborne grit.
    If you give the buds a quick H2O2/H2O wash and then dry before processing, you will see almost none.
    And the filtering will go much faster as a result.

Aloha,
    Weezard
    Everyt\'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html:thumbsup:

Plants do things for a reason..they don\'t just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound :clap:

\"It ain\'t what you don\'t know that gets you into trouble. It\'s what you know for sure that just ain\'t so.\"
    - Mark Twain

\"http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/\"
    Mythbuster! Thanks to- Rusty Trichome

I gotta agree, sounds like sediments. Could even be dangerous depending on your processing techniques. Recommend caution