Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1682 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

homemade cfl light - reflector?

Okâ?¦.so I got myself an extension cord, a few adaptors, including socket to outlet adaptors.
    I have taken a 4 way electrical connector and added 3 socket to adapter connectors, then used cfl bulbs that together = 9600 lumens.
    I wrapped the base with electrical tape and it hangs horizontally, I saw a disposable turkey baster at the store and wondered if I could use that as a reflector. I keep reading that foil is no good for the uneven reflection it gives- is there any other really cheap way to do this. IT's about seeing how cheap it can be done rather than seeing what is the best equipment.
    I have other lights - it was more fun making this one thoughâ?¦
    Oh and it works!
    I was quite proud of myself for my engineeringâ?¦
    crystaliscious Reviewed by crystaliscious on . homemade cfl light - reflector? Okâ?¦.so I got myself an extension cord, a few adaptors, including socket to outlet adaptors. I have taken a 4 way electrical connector and added 3 socket to adapter connectors, then used cfl bulbs that together = 9600 lumens. I wrapped the base with electrical tape and it hangs horizontally, I saw a disposable turkey baster at the store and wondered if I could use that as a reflector. I keep reading that foil is no good for the uneven reflection it gives- is there any other really cheap way Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

If you go to the "family" hardware store, such as Lowe's or Home Depot, and check out the ducting section, you can find small sheets of flat, shiny, thin, sheet metal that is easily bendable/cuttable that you could fasten into a reflector. I see it at like $3-4 per sheet.

Yeah, its called flashing. I found it cheaper at a mom& pops (family owned, 3rd gen) than the prices at 'chain store' hardware stores. I've actually found many things cheaper but higher quality in these little hardwares. Hope you have a store like this near you. They're really great for people like us DIY-ers! Once they get to know your face, customer service feels like family. At my fav little store, they take me into their private kitchen for coffee & to see the kittens! Becoming friends with the hardware store owners, & the guy who owns my grow store was the best thing I could have done!

I use a roll of thin sheet metal (any hardware store sells it), comes in different grades & thickness. this gives you tons. I also use some for walls & shielding
    its very flexible and you can shape it pretty much into anything.
    8-12 bucks for a roll, I cut about 4 strips from 1 roll as the size you see here in the pic

Yep! That's 'flashing'. You can make so many things with it. You're only limited by your imagination! (I make wind chimes with it, roofs for bird feeders & birdhouses, cut out leaves & flowers to soder (spelling) onto trellises. It's unlimited!) Stuff can be your best friend in the grow room. I've made light switch plates from it, just to make them easier to find in very dim light.
    -- Nice reflector! Functional & under $5.00 !

Off to honey - do hardware! Taking cookies - maybe they will have coffee!

Hope the cookies are good ones and you can still remember why your there!!

Ha-Ha! Decided to stop by Essex on the way- got a 6 ft. tent for $12.00 and saweet 8 bulb t5 for $80.00!

AND drum roll please…..

A FREE REFLECTOR! a hydrofarm light was broken- they just gave me the reflector…

Quote Originally Posted by crystaliscious
    Ha-Ha! Decided to stop by Essex on the way- got a 6 ft. tent for $12.00 and saweet 8 bulb t5 for $80.00!

AND drum roll please…..

A FREE REFLECTOR! a hydrofarm light was broken- they just gave me the reflector…
    Wow, what a score! :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by crystaliscious

AND drum roll please…..

What did you do wink at him sweetly.