Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1644 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

First grow (box), high temperature problems

Hi all,

This is my first grow and my first grow box. I bought this grow box set up the way it was and I will obviously need to make a few changes here and there for my arrangement. Here is the box itself:
    Attachment 296949
    Attachment 296950
    Attachment 296951
    Attachment 296952

There is an intake at the bottom and out-take at the top. Both are the same fan just pointed in different directions. They seem to be very quiet but also very low power (not enough to keep the heat down). I've tried to do some searching to figure out my heat problem, both on here and other websites. My thermometer records temperatures ranging from 85 degrees to 91 degrees which is much too hot. The area that I keep the box in is usually anywhere from 73 degrees to 77 degrees so it shouldn't be reaching temperatures that high. The only time I am able to get the optimal temperature is to leave the cabinet open, which is only a temporary fix while I look for a more permanent solution.

I am guessing what I need is better air flow to keep the temps down. Any recommendations for what I should do based on my current setup? I'm thinking more powerful fans. Any recommendations for those? Also, anything else I can do to improve the grow box. This is a hydroponic box, although currently just using it as a place for a soil plant to grow. The plant became stretched for light before I put it in the box - It seems to have plenty of light now though. Any recommendations for getting it to stand on its own again as well? I put a little toothpick-like object in for it to lean on for the time being.

Thanks for the help!
    newdope Reviewed by newdope on . First grow (box), high temperature problems Hi all, This is my first grow and my first grow box. I bought this grow box set up the way it was and I will obviously need to make a few changes here and there for my arrangement. Here is the box itself: 296949 296950 296951 296952 There is an intake at the bottom and out-take at the top. Both are the same fan just pointed in different directions. They seem to be very quiet but also very low power (not enough to keep the heat down). I've tried to do some searching to figure out my Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

welcome new dope. Merry Xmas.

Photos should've been at the proper orientation; seems like that changed during the upload process on this site. They're fine on my computer and phone. Merry Christmas to you too!

Hey newdope, Merry Christmas. Because your heat is not WAY too high, only a few degrees, it seems like your fan-change idea might be the way to go. I would look up the fan models that are currently installed on that box online to find out what the CFM number is for those fans. Then, you can just purchase fans with a higher CFM number, which will move more air. Even if you do that you will still have to monitor the temp and humidity. How tall is that total cabinet? Will you be going all the way to harvest in there? The pictures make it look too small for a total grow, but maybe that's just the pics.

I have the same setup, for the most part, My cab is 24"x 24"x 50". I have a vanity light bar from my local home improvement store (3 Bulb) That I hung from the top, and I also have a 4 Bulb, 4ft, tube floro that I attached to the back wall. I will start a thread for you guys to check out.

But anyway, Keep the intake hole and use the fan from it to add to the exhaust. Make another hole at the top about 3-6 inches to the opposite side and mount it as exhaust. To keep dirt and light from getting in thru the intake, I use a dryer sheet to keep dust and dirt out and a piece of foil or dark plastic on the inside that would act as a flap that opens while the exhaust is on and will fall as the exhaust turns off, usually when the light goes out or shortly after, on a separate timer.

the cfls wont cause too much heat, so the 2 PC fans should be adequate. You may need another intake vent, but that's easy. Also, if the temps don't drop, try getting rid of the Mylar/foil shiny stuff and paint the walls a satin white. White is extremely reflective and also deflects heat. metals or shiny mirror like surfaces retain heat. Think of foil and how it helps retain heat and cook your food. Its essentially doing the same to your plant.

Lemme know,

Panaflo fans for PC builds move shit tons of air, but they're loud. Cheap. A tool for your arsenal.