Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1684 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Hydroponic Setup: Advice

Hi-

Growing with hydroponics is very new for me, but I'm looking for a few expert opinions on setup and any recommendations from what I have learned so far.

I currently have my seeds germinating in my 10 gal hydroponic using rockwool and Hydroton. (I've been spraying them without ph testing or adding neuts. (I know! Not to wet or I will rot the roots.) However, a lot of websites and forums have mentioned this is the advance way and a better way would be using a heating pad. So, I purchased a heating pad and currently have them in there until the roots pop out of the Rockwool. Then i'll transfer them to my 10GAL hydroponic using net pots and Hydroton along with my pump and airstone. At this time I'll start adding 1/4 neuts of the General Hydroponics- FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicro. I'll continue to increase the neuts and do a flush ever 2 weeks.

Is there anything in here people would/wouldn't recommend doing?

Also, one thing I'm a bit puzzled on is the roots getting access to the water. Most people on the internet mention not having to refill the reservoir until it's empty.... Then refill, add neuts, and test ph lvl. But how will the water reach the plastic net cups? (Does the Airstone cause the reservoir to become moist?)

Thanks for the help!
    n3mp0 Reviewed by n3mp0 on . Hydroponic Setup: Advice Hi- Growing with hydroponics is very new for me, but I'm looking for a few expert opinions on setup and any recommendations from what I have learned so far. I currently have my seeds germinating in my 10 gal hydroponic using rockwool and Hydroton. (I've been spraying them without ph testing or adding neuts. (I know! Not to wet or I will rot the roots.) However, a lot of websites and forums have mentioned this is the advance way and a better way would be using a heating pad. So, I Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

When you ask "does the air stone cause the reservoir to become moist?" do you mean the net pot/hydroton/rockwool? If so the answer is: not really. You have to flood the containers up to the level that will cover the roots. Until the roots are long enough, you can dip a cup into the reservoir and pour the mix on to the rock wool. Thus the roots will stay wet and grow until they reach the nute mix in the bucket. The level of the mix should be about as high as necessary to reach the bottom of the net pot. Whoever said let the reservoir go empty was being foolish. You really should get a pH/ppm meter and maintain a fairly full, level mix in the reservoir. You should check pH and ppm fairly frequently, perhaps daily or twice a day or more if you can. Don't let the reservoir go empty before you fill it. There will be ph/ppm changes every day that you should keep an eye on and maintain a level that is largely the same every day, to ensure that the pH/ppm values are where they should be. You also need a fan to push air around and blow on the plants to strengthen the stems, and get the humidity out of the area. I'm not sure that flushing is such a good idea. It might be better to just maintain an adequate pH/ppm level. I know people have a thing for flushing but I don't understand why. I is useful when too much fert is given, but other than that I wouldn't make it part of the regimen. If you discover a problem like roots becoming brown, then you'll have a problem like pythium or algae which will require thorough cleaning of all the equipment and that really sucks. 1/4 strength migh be okay for a short while, but you probably should focus more on the pH/ppm values, like pH of 6.0 and ppm of 500 and go up in ppm value as time goes on, usually to 1000-1200 or so as plants grow. Hope this helps. Frankly, I think DWC is easier but best of luck.

PP get squirrel ish off of that smoke??