Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1678 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

NEW GROWER - MANY QUESTIONS!

Thanks for that, some things you have to be native to understand!

Now, what else should I be worried, if not of the authorities? I know outside you can have thieves but inside... I guess family is still an issue. I certainly don't want them to know anything. That's why I can only visit my plants when family is either out or asleep. I also take care not to tell anyone, best friend or gf, not yet anyway. One month left... will know if it was worth the risk! Thanks!

Always worry about the authorities, good luck with keeping the family in the dark, smell may become an issue. The extreme example I know of, a bunker grow, the guy was very careful. Kids being kids had found out suspected something. During moment of excitement, or just trying to impress someone, one let it slip. Game over.

My strategy has been, honesty with the family. But they need to be aware of the extreme risk, they are part of the eguation. But tell them what could happen if their not on board.

Friends get tough, when you bring out the stash. Never bring out much, have your story ready and stay with it. This part of growing is tough, when you do something well you want to share or brag. It's kinda a lonely game.

Sorry about your friend. I've heard similar stories here & keep my mouth shut. I wish I could be frank with my family but they would not take it. I hate hiding something from them but you know, if it goes bad, they're safer not knowing. Attic is out of reach, brothers are too young and parents too old to jump and lift themselves.

About the smell, how worst will it get during flower? It's a room within a room is it possible to pass 2 walls? I don't think they ever smelled weed in their life, but yes it might get them suspicious. Thanks!

Your brothers must not be walking yet? Good pot has a very strong smell!!

Sabina I am finding out right now just how powerful the smell is. My grow rooms are "rooms within room" in a far corner of my basement. They are nearly airtight, and I exhaust the inside air through a rather large carbon filter. During veg I hardly noticed anything, but I'm now in my 9th week of flowering, and the filter no longer can remove it all. My basement smells heavy and sweet, not exactly what you would think of as "weed", but definitely funky. I'm now noticing it about half way down the stairs to the basement. It's taking over! And just wait till it's all out of the grow room and hanging to dry! Lucky for me, my grow is legal, but if it wasn't I'd be very concerned.

6.   Advertisements

Hi ranger and Chromo, thanks for your input! Brothers can walk but the attic door is on the ceiling out of reach no stairs or windows... and they're too busy playing PS or whatever. About the smell, it's a very stressful issue, believe me. Do you think I might get a better chance being in an attic vs basement? I'm thinking air (smell too) is moving up and not down so maybe I won't be having so much in the house. What do you think? Thanks guys.

Oh almost forgot... Having my first gnats, last week it was 1 or 2, now it's about 5-10 of them. Every time I spray or water they start flying around and I try to kill as many as possible. I was thinking of a homemade trap, (water+hand soap), and similar stuff I read, do you think I should go for something stronger? Thanks!

Those little brothers will be like mice, you cannot keep them out of anywhere. :rastabanna:

Gnats coming from soil, watch you roots, Weez uses dryer sheets to cover, sounds reasonable to me. I use the yellow sticky trap for the flyers

Sabina I grow in the basement and the smell reached a little up the stairway but seems to have stopped there. It probably depends on airflow patterns in your house, which to some extent will be determined by the degree of temperature inversion between upper and lower. If I had an attic that was useable I would probably put it there, though in my climate the heat would be a problem. Using a couple of good quality carbon filters would probably do it. I know many people swear by ozone generators, but I personally have no experience with them. When I re-design my rooms I am going to beef up my smell control.

Fungus gnats aren't really a probelem unless their population gets out of control. Seeing them indicates wet soil, so make sure you have good drainage and aren't watering when the soil is still wet. The larvae love wet soil. Get yourself a good quality soil moisture meter (cheap ones are very inaccurate) until you start to get an intuitive feel for when it's time to water. I use the pot-lift method, but it took a while before I got it down. Two simple treatments for gnats are blue or yellow sticky cards, which you can get through Amazon or any greenhouse/grow retailer. Just pin them near the soil horizon and those damn gnats fly right into them and become glued to their fate. Also layering sand or gravel on top of the soil makes it hard for the emerging adults to free themselves. Proper watering is the real key though.

Hi guys, I looked into dryer sheets and unfortunately they are not anywhere in the market. Seems like it never was a popular product in my country. Instead I made a trap as follows: 3 parts apple cider vinegar, 1 part water, few drops of dish soap (lemon aroma), poured the mix in a jar and drilled a couple of holes on the lid. Got 4 of them!

I use that method for watering too. I know I'm not experienced so I have a similar pot close, without a plant and watered. So I compare the two. Sometimes I stick a finger and feel the humidity. I will get the moisture meter anyway, thanks! I think I'll get the glue tapes, too! About the sand, I should find sterile sand, don't know where I could get that around here though. Thank you very much ranger and chromo!

Still no roots on my clones, it's 7th day. I opened the dome yesterday about 1 inch. Some clones have yellow leaves now. Will keep you updated, thanks for your interest! Have a nice day!

How about checking on line? Your clones can be using stored energy to get started, it's not over till the fat lady sings.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456