Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1643 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What do you think?

"Is putting a small weed plant in a big plant pot bad for it?"

Yes it is.
    That's why we go to all the trouble.
    It's also why we do the minimum impact transplant.

If the root ball is too small for the pot the soil can get waterlogged and go stagnant.
    Then the benefits of a large pot become detriments.
    They stunt, then die.

Not saying it can't be done, just that it is extremely difficult to do properly.
    I'm way too lazy to do it over, so I up-pot in 4 stages and even then water very carefully.
    1 pint, - 1 gallon - 3 gallons, - 5 gallons.

This summer, I'm trying for trees and have some 10 and 15 gallon bags waiting for the eager Sheila's.

Aloha,
    Weezard

2.   Advertisements

What do you think?

Judging by the above pics which were posted today: Dec-10-2013, 14:18, what size plant pot would be good for the next period of growth.

Regards,

anon12

What do you think?

Ditto everything Weezard said and I will add that keeping the pot/rootball size ratio fairly small forces the plant to use the resources in the soil. In extremely soft soils (like potting soils) the rootlets can grow very fast and when they stretch their absorption efficiency declines and they become weaker. Confining them forces the roots to mature and use the available nutrients completely. Once the root density becomes high, putting in a fresh zone of soil allows the plant to grow rapidly. After you have done this several times, you will have a plant with a root system that is very mature and dense. Just in time for flowering.:smokin:

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by anon12
    Judging by the above pics which were posted today: Dec-10-2013, 14:18, what size plant pot would be good for the next period of growth.

Regards,

anon12
    The next larger size of course.

You want a couple more inches for depth and at least an inch more in diameter.

If you have height restrictions, keep the pots squat, and increase the diameter.
    Cramping the tap root inhibits vertical growth.
    Wider pots, grow wider plants, and put a lot more feeder roots at the drip line.

I strongly advise you to take notes throughout the grow.
    Just the date, and what you did, to start.
    Take pictures and attach them to your notes.
    Or, the notes to the pictures, whatever works for ya.
    Next time, enter the date and your observations, then what you did next.

Hold a little root ball postmortem after harvest, and record what you see.
    Just quarter it with a long, sharp, knife and take some pictures.
    Then you can match your observations to your past actions, yah?

We all say; "I'll remember that!"
    Um, not if you have a successful grow you won't
    The reason I started posting on Cdot was to have a semi-coherent record for my own use.
    Found priceless mentoring from actual master growers.
    Then discovered the archives! (1st link in my sig.)
    Nevah have to buy another grow-book.
    The master growers have their notes posted in the archives already.
    Free for the reading!

Your own notes will be the best possible tutorial for growing that particular "strain" again.
    (Did I mention that different "strains" have different preferences?)
    But to answer any cannabis question you can imagine, just click on, "everyt'ing".

Enough pontificating from me though.
    Truth be told, I'm a rank amateur with 2, black, thumbs.

Aloha,
    Weeze

What do you think?

'I strongly advise you to take notes throughout the grow.'

I've been doing that since the beginning of the grow with pictures as well. Its all very extensive.

What do you think?

I'm getting a bigger box (about 5ft tall) so i will have plenty of room to grow this little gem. I don't want to restrict the plant as adding a shallower plant pot with a wider diameter can only go so far in a small box. I think the solution is simply to get a bigger box which is what i have done.

Hopefully if it arrives tomorrow then i can re-pot my plant and also do some other changes such as change the light bulb to a bigger one with a higher wattage (325 watts with a Colour Temperature of 6500K) until its time for flowering, then i will consider switching the bulb to a warm white or soft white bulb with a colour temperature of 2700k (because thats what i reas is best for flowering) not sure what the best wattage for flowering a single plant with a single bulb is though.

Need to think about a reflective material for inside of the box (all i have is tin foil so i may have to spend some more cash on a better alternative)

Got a Ph tester in the mail also seeing as my plants lower leaves are turning yellow and dying. (Im guessing its the nutrient issue mentioned at the top of this thread)

What do you think?

Grow Box Update:

Old Grow Box vs New grow box:

What do you think?

What do you think?

Re-potted plant from this:

Attachment 296672

Attachment 296671

To this:

Attachment 296675

What do you think?

Fan which i've been using for ventilation: