Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1578 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question About Cannabis Names

I know that certain strains are very dominate and show a lot of certain traits that can tell us a lot of different things, such as height, strength, potency,etc..but my question is....where the hell do they come up with this shit?! With all the "organic hybrid crossbowflex bubba skunk purple kushes" that are out there...does a name really MEAN shit?

Now it's story time...I had a friend I grew up with, let's call him Mike...and Mike's parents grew Cannabis. Mike's parents grew AMAZING cannabis.
    One day while hanging out we smoked several different strains of his parents buds, all of which just got us a little more stuck on the couch. After about the 3rd or 4th bowl I finally asked...."well what's this one called?"

Mike sat back and looked at me, slightly stoned and simply said.."Ummm...I don't know? Good weed?"

Ever since that moment the whole name game was somewhat of a joke to me. Don't get me wrong now, I know names are a good way of identifying the pros/cons of the pot you smoke (especially for the medical users) but where's the line?

A name is a name, Good weed is all that I want.

Sorry for the rant and rave...may have had a little too much good weed tonight :thumbsup:

Happy Growing Y'all.

P.S. All my bag seed grows from this point on shall be named Gweed...or Mike, haven't decided yet.
    jsengbusch88 Reviewed by jsengbusch88 on . Question About Cannabis Names I know that certain strains are very dominate and show a lot of certain traits that can tell us a lot of different things, such as height, strength, potency,etc..but my question is....where the hell do they come up with this shit?! With all the "organic hybrid crossbowflex bubba skunk purple kushes" that are out there...does a name really MEAN shit? Now it's story time...I had a friend I grew up with, let's call him Mike...and Mike's parents grew Cannabis. Mike's parents grew AMAZING Rating: 5
    Happy Growing :thumbsup:

2.   Advertisements

I've heard this opinion for years... Some people think it's stupid to have names and tell me, pot is pot. But the truth is, when you're buying from trustworthy sources the names mean everything. You know what to expect in terms of potency, flavor effect. Some of us realize big differences in the strains. Also when purchasing seed or cuttings it's good to know how long it takes to grow, how it likes to be tended and what the finished product will be like. If there were no names it would be like all the bottles of wine or beer being unlabeled on the shelves. Huh? Beer is just beer? Brown booze is booze? Scotch, bourbon, rye, all the same?
    The names often do tell us where the genetics originated. There are now many more strains for good reason. Cannabis has been very popular and people have been working with it for years now. Yes. sometimes the names are silly sounding and sometimes they are not accurate but to think we would prefer 'pot is pot' and beer is beer is missing the point.

There are good breeders of marijuana plants and there are what you may call experts who have devoted their time, energy and money to produce hybrid strains of weed. The experts do it scientifically (or so they say ) to make sure they can come up with an ideal hybrid and when successful, they give it a name to differentiate from the other strains out there. It is also for commercial or marketing purposes I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jsengbusch88
    I know that certain strains are very dominate and show a lot of certain traits that can tell us a lot of different things, such as height, strength, potency,etc..but my question is....where the hell do they come up with this shit?!
    Haha, one of the best names I've come across lately... "Peristinkle". I can't recall the genetics, but the bud is purple tinted and VERY frosty with a mild skunk aroma. Nice smoke. (definitely some Querkle in it)

Haha that's what I'm sayin! My buddy used to get Bubble Gum...but it was marked as BG. He just assumed it stood for Bubble Guts lol He's a goofy dude obviously.
    Happy Growing :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by jsengbusch88
    Haha that's what I'm sayin! My buddy used to get Bubble Gum...but it was marked as BG. He just assumed it stood for Bubble Guts lol He's a goofy dude obviously.

That's funny as shit man!

I was married to a trucker for a while & used to go on the road with him occasionally. HATED the smell of diesel fumes! Nasty! So when the diesels first came out, I thought Oh hell no! I'm not smoking anything like that! Then a friend smoked with me & told me (when we were done) that it was diesel. I loved it! Tasted NOTHING like diesel fumes & is one of my favorites. I'm glad strains have names for the same reasons Shovel pointed out, but I do agree they can sometimes be deceiving!

Names allow us the luxury of avoidance.

Been thinking about this thread, & thinking names should be even more descriptive. When I get up in the morning, stiff & achey from arthritis, I want to reach for some pot that will not only ease my pain, but energize me & help me navigate my day. So I think I'll get several strains that fit that description, do a little breeding, & once the strain is stabilized, name it UPPITY UP. Being an insomniac & having night pain, before bedtime, I want an herb that will relax me into a puddle of jello. So I think I'll gather some strains that knocks your ass in the grass with a heavy couch-lock buzz, breed till I get it right, stabilize, & name it DOWN TO THE GROUND! Now that's descriptive naming! Silly? Yeah, but the best names are already taken: MORNING THUNDER & SLEEPY TIME (damned you Celestial Tea company)!

Ok, while I know this does read like a joke, breeding these two strains is something I've been considering for a while now, & for the very reasons listed. But I would actually come up with names a little more dignified, but still descriptive. Hummm..... maybe some medical dispensaries would be interested....

~~~ PEACE! ~~~

Excellent idea.

I do something similar.
    Whatever the original name was, is abbreviated on the label.
    That indicates, taste, smell, color, and potency.

But the large type on the label highlights uses and side effects. (Dreamy, euphoric, git-er-done, light's out, etc)
    The first character is an arrow that points up, down, or sideways.

I stagger my harvests, and early WW is very different from late harvest WW.
    And Gainesville Green has an extremely wide range of effects depending on time of harvest.

When I make oil, I make day oil and night oil.
    Real uppity, Sativa kine becomes day oil.
    Indica thumper for the nights.

Wish I had the capacity to make 12 different flavors of oil, but, legal, I must be.

Been talking to a couple local growers and we may coordinate what strains we grow and then do an exchange so that we all have more variety.

I like the way you think CB.
    Keep it up.

Aloha,
    Weeze

I was checking out this breeder Crop King Seeds and they also have unique names for their strains. One is named Rogue Thunder. Anybody got any idea about this strain?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast