Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1761 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Soldiers Co OP Led Test grow

Quote Originally Posted by tlranger
    Might stop feeding and babying them for a while, now. Like you said, it's a natural process
    Personally,although i do grow organic with no chemicals, but I feed compost tea up till the last week or two. While yea, don't stress if u get the yellow fade and its a good indicator the plant is nearing the end, but I don't care to make the plant want nutes and not have them. The science behind the fade is the plant is making every last ditch effort to get pollinated. so it pulls all available nutes from soil/and then from the plant. Nice healthy plants make nice healthy dense buds is the bottom line.

2.   Advertisements

Might stop feeding and babying them for a while, now. Like you said, it's a natural process
    I haven't fed them for 10 days now. That's why I'm surprised they're still so green. Just based on what others have said I expected them to start showing signs of deficiency. As I have never grown before, I'm simply following what most here have advised which is to stop feeding a couple of weeks before harvest. The reasons for this still puzzle me a bit, but I'm trusting the other more experienced growers.

Personally,although i do grow organic with no chemicals, but I feed compost tea up till the last week or two. While yea, don't stress if u get the yellow fade and its a good indicator the plant is nearing the end, but I don't care to make the plant want nutes and not have them. The science behind the fade is the plant is making every last ditch effort to get pollinated. so it pulls all available nutes from soil/and then from the plant. Nice healthy plants make nice healthy dense buds is the bottom line.
    This makes sense to me, and I've never been comfortable with this notion of starving the plant during flower. I understand that many believe the nutes adversely affect flavor, but I've come across others who say this is rubbish. I've gone ahead with this protocol because many experienced growers have advised me to do it. next time around I'm going to do a sided by side comparison of feed vs no feed on two identical plants and see what the real difference is or isn't in the final product.

It's interesting to note the type of lighting appears to have an affect on the chlorosis process. My T5 plants yellowed early, the HPS one's didn't until 6+ weeks in.
    Same strain, same age, same nutes....but WAY earlier for the T5's.

that also is common sense to think about. Leaves are solar panels basically...the more light they get the more energy the get thus the more energy they have to function.

One other reason many people stop nutes way to early to is because they are running synthetic nutes/chemical nutes which leave a nasty taste in the plant which they have to flush that out. IDK if you can tell from my tone, but I much prefer organics. I used to use the typical hydro line up shoved down the cannabis community and spent hundreds per cycle on snake oils and bud hardeners and flavor enhancers and overdrive all that shit, and after switching to super soil and compost tea and I will never go back. The smell and taste and health of the plant cannot even be compared. Most strains respond VERY well to organics, and once you get it figured out, is very sustainable especially if you have a back yard to compost in. Yo do have to change your understanding of how things work if you want to special tailor your supersoil. I started out using TGAs super soil recipe, and have gradually changed things to make it work better for me.

Ah, yes I remember catbuds telling me the same thing. I used Foxfarm nutes exclusively. I'm not clear on whether these fall into the "synthetic" or "organic" classification, though most people seem to consider them organic. I'm still feeding my flowering plants molasses, and that does supply Iron and Magnesium in addition to the sugars. Catbuds told me that with the Foxfarm nutes flushing really wasn't necessary but that I should gradually cut back on all the added fertilizers as harvest time approaches.

Papapayne next time around I want to work on making my own soil. I'll undoubtedly be peppering you with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromophore
    This makes sense to me, and I've never been comfortable with this notion of starving the plant during flower. I understand that many believe the nutes adversely affect flavor, but I've come across others who say this is rubbish. I've gone ahead with this protocol because many experienced growers have advised me to do it. next time around I'm going to do a sided by side comparison of feed vs no feed on two identical plants and see what the real difference is or isn't in the final product.

I can tell you hands down with a certainty chemical nutes vs organic living soil fed compost tea MAJORLY changes the taste and flavor and smell. If you look at the top growers hitting 25+ % thc and the legit growers making medicine (read: Not a commerical grow with profit being the bottom line) the majority of them are using super soil and feeding compost tea. Most the clubs wont ever put hydro grown bud as the true "top shelf" bud. Don't get me wrong, you can and people do grow great knockout fire bud hydro and with synthetics and when flushed right it tastes good.

So, do you consider the Foxfarm nutes to be synthetic? I used them only during flower, and at half strength.

Just. :twocents: but if their green and growing good I don't believe your starving them. Some take longer than others.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast