Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1719 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Can I use ground nugs to make cannaoil?

I'm seeing that some of the local dispensaries have "ground nugs" for like $84/ounce.

What are they, and can I use them in place of buds (which I break up anyway) in the cannaoil I make? Are there disadvantages to using ground nugs vs. broken up buds, like are the nugs less potent?

I have a very low tolerance (2 grams of bud infused into 8 tablespoons of oil lasts me several weeks), and I think the CBD (vs. THC) is what's most helpful for my pain, if that's pertinent info.

I'm a relative newbie who's just trying to learn and find cost-effective ways to make the medicine that helps me so much!

Thanks in advance!
    EJB Reviewed by EJB on . Can I use ground nugs to make cannaoil? I'm seeing that some of the local dispensaries have "ground nugs" for like $84/ounce. What are they, and can I use them in place of buds (which I break up anyway) in the cannaoil I make? Are there disadvantages to using ground nugs vs. broken up buds, like are the nugs less potent? I have a very low tolerance (2 grams of bud infused into 8 tablespoons of oil lasts me several weeks), and I think the CBD (vs. THC) is what's most helpful for my pain, if that's pertinent info. I'm a Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Ground up bud is exactly what it sounds like - ground up bud. Most smokers will never buy ground nugs (a.k.a. "shake"). It's almost impossible to determine the quality, strain, and potency of the nug. In short, you have no idea what you're really paying money for - it could just be mostly ground up leaves and stems.

However, it IS cheaper. And considering that you have a very low tolerance and are planning on just using it for edibles, I would give it a try. If you don't like it, just stick with breaking up your own bud that you KNOW is quality!

Hope this helps. Stay high, man!

Quote Originally Posted by StonerThings
    Ground up bud is exactly what it sounds like - ground up bud. Most smokers will never buy ground nugs (a.k.a. "shake"). It's almost impossible to determine the quality, strain, and potency of the nug. In short, you have no idea what you're really paying money for - it could just be mostly ground up leaves and stems.

However, it IS cheaper. And considering that you have a very low tolerance and are planning on just using it for edibles, I would give it a try. If you don't like it, just stick with breaking up your own bud that you KNOW is quality!

Hope this helps. Stay high, man!
    Thanks for the reply! I did get some yesterday, and because the dispensary tests all of its products, I know the THC and CBD levels. 8% THC is fine for me (I'm actually not looking to get high at all, just for pain relief and sleep), so I bought an ounce of the nugs to make a less expensive oil, as well as an ounce of 9% THC/9% CBD bud to make a high-CBD oil. I should be good for quite sometime now, and will continue to use this dispensary just because they do have a lab on-site and test all of their medicines.

Quote Originally Posted by EJB
    Thanks for the reply! I did get some yesterday, and because the dispensary tests all of its products, I know the THC and CBD levels. 8% THC is fine for me (I'm actually not looking to get high at all, just for pain relief and sleep), so I bought an ounce of the nugs to make a less expensive oil, as well as an ounce of 9% THC/9% CBD bud to make a high-CBD oil. I should be good for quite sometime now, and will continue to use this dispensary just because they do have a lab on-site and test all of their medicines.
    Great, man I'm glad you figured things out! Let me know how it works for you once you start using the oils on a regular basis.