Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1573 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Seed Bank Question

Hopefully I have the proper area to ask this question.

I feel the urge lately for some real strong skunk. The kind of skunk
    that smells like you ran 1 over in your car, I remember stuff like this but
    havent grown it in awhile.

Which is the best bank to get Super Skunk or Skunk #1

Thanks!

H215
    Humboldt215 Reviewed by Humboldt215 on . Seed Bank Question Hopefully I have the proper area to ask this question. I feel the urge lately for some real strong skunk. The kind of skunk that smells like you ran 1 over in your car, I remember stuff like this but havent grown it in awhile. Which is the best bank to get Super Skunk or Skunk #1 Thanks! Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

Seed Bank Question

The stink is gone from 99% of the skunk offerings. I've heard of very few real dealio stinkin' skunks. Good luck.

Seed Bank Question

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt215
    I feel the urge lately for some real strong skunk. The kind of skunk
    that smells like you ran 1 over in your car, I remember stuff like this but
    havent grown it in awhile.

Which is the best bank to get Super Skunk or Skunk #1
    I don't know about the above mentioned strains, but Reserva Privada R.K.S. is a pretty danged smelly skunk, closest I've come across to the old-school skunk. :jointsmile:

Seed Bank Question

Man, there are some really smelly Skunk out there but does the strong smell really contribute to the expected potency of MJ buds? In some cases they don't.

Seed Bank Question

FYI, Super Skunk isn't skunky in the least.

Seed Bank Question

Quote Originally Posted by EvilCartman
    I don't know about the above mentioned strains, but Reserva Privada R.K.S. is a pretty danged smelly skunk, closest I've come across to the old-school skunk. :jointsmile:

Was reading the history of skunk just last night, & you've now idea just how right you are. Road kill was the original. Then they threw in some Acapulco gold in the the mix to sweeten it up, some called this sweet skunk, but that was the begining of sk#1. Then your other skunks came into being when they'd kick a little afghani back into it, & yada yada yada, it's nolonger skunk imo. So if you can get your hands on RKS, keep that seed stock going, ya know? Perpetuate the species. (But beware of the odor!)

P.S. some was adding sativas for the purpose of cutting down the odor.

Seed Bank Question

Thanks for this info. Sure is Helpful. When one strain gets to be popular, other breeders especially smaller ones perhaps will try to come up with their own version to ride on the popularity? It is best to stay with the original then.

Seed Bank Question

You know its one thing to add the genetics to another strain to improve it, but when you try to add weaker genes to an already potent variety, all you're doing is diluting the gene pool. I see this happening to kush, northern lights & afghani too. Breed with it? Sure. But don't let the original get lost in the confusion. Thats kinda my pet peeve. Loosing the original.

Northern lights kicked ass. #'s 1-5 can't hold the original a light to go by imo.

Seed Bank Question

Possibly the reason why some say there are breeders of strains that prefer breeding from the same family of strains to lock the genes. But as I understand from what I read somewhere, in-breeding can also result in abnormalities and different phenos showing so the breeder need to be really scientific in the approach and cull unwanted hybrids.

Seed Bank Question

Yes & no. Let compare it to dog breeding. Inbreeding is mother to son, father to daughter, brother to sister. Line breeding is cousins, aunt to nephew, uncle to niece. (Lets just say the breed is chihuahuas). Lets say there's a genetic marker on # 14 of a dna strand for 'rage' (a loosley used term for k-nine insanity leaning toward viscousness). It may be dormant, just hanging out there on marker 14 till something comes along & triggers it. In breed, or even closely line breed for a few generations, & BANG! there it is, fully activated & you now have bred a viscous line. Line breeding to more distant relatives (2nd cousins, great aunt etc etc), dilutes this chance of 'doubling up' on bad genes while maintaining the stability of the breed. Even more distantly removed relatives decreases this chance of doubling up even more untill the chance is null. Not saying some day we'll see a man eating pot plant, ha! But what we DO see are pop up mutations, strains loosing their vigor, some strains become more susceptible to pests & disease. You can greatly reduce the chances of this by getting seeds of the same strain from else where, growing them out & using one of those males to pollenate your girls, a male from your line to pollenate a female from the new seeds, & back to business for a few more generations. In animal husbandry, this is called an out cross. Not crossing to a different breed (strain), but a different line of the same breed (strain). While I don't know of any pot breeders who practice this, I used to. I'd stabilize my line, pass out seeds & in 3-4 generation, swap pollen. While this wasn't outcrossing, it was line breeding. A bit closer than I would have liked (since I hadn't 'commercialized' my line, limited me somewhat) but it served the purpose. This is why I've been looking for a pollen resource. Pollen swapping should be more common than it is. Sorry this became so long. Don't think I could have condensed farther without making it incomprehensible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast