Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1589 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Seed Bank Question

Hi Everybody!

Look at all the responses for my question, thanks to all!

catbuds that was some good info on the skunk.

EvilCartman after reading your reply I went to the breeders webby (Reserva Privada) and checked out the R.K.S. It 'sounds' like what I am looking for. It referred me to seedsman (anybody got experience with them?) and a order was placed.

2.   Advertisements

Seed Bank Question

Quote Originally Posted by catbuds
    Yes & no. Let compare it to dog breeding. Inbreeding is mother to son, father to daughter, brother to sister. Line breeding is cousins, aunt to nephew, uncle to niece. (Lets just say the breed is chihuahuas). Lets say there's a genetic marker on # 14 of a dna strand for 'rage' (a loosley used term for k-nine insanity leaning toward viscousness). It may be dormant, just hanging out there on marker 14 till something comes along & triggers it. In breed, or even closely line breed for a few generations, & BANG! there it is, fully activated & you now have bred a viscous line. Line breeding to more distant relatives (2nd cousins, great aunt etc etc), dilutes this chance of 'doubling up' on bad genes while maintaining the stability of the breed. Even more distantly removed relatives decreases this chance of doubling up even more untill the chance is null. Not saying some day we'll see a man eating pot plant, ha! But what we DO see are pop up mutations, strains loosing their vigor, some strains become more susceptible to pests & disease. You can greatly reduce the chances of this by getting seeds of the same strain from else where, growing them out & using one of those males to pollenate your girls, a male from your line to pollenate a female from the new seeds, & back to business for a few more generations. In animal husbandry, this is called an out cross. Not crossing to a different breed (strain), but a different line of the same breed (strain). While I don't know of any pot breeders who practice this, I used to. I'd stabilize my line, pass out seeds & in 3-4 generation, swap pollen. While this wasn't outcrossing, it was line breeding. A bit closer than I would have liked (since I hadn't 'commercialized' my line, limited me somewhat) but it served the purpose. This is why I've been looking for a pollen resource. Pollen swapping should be more common than it is. Sorry this became so long. Don't think I could have condensed farther without making it incomprehensible.
    Very god explanation. Thanks a lot for sharing. Line breeding it is then. Although t is still a form of in-breeding, still it is much better to come up with a seed strain. How do they call it when the genes are finally locked after several generations of line-breeding? Thanks Bro. Really informative post you have here.

Seed Bank Question

Cool thread and answers. Thanks guys.:thumbsup: :smokin:

Seed Bank Question

Samlyle, I can't think of that term to save my life (its been nearly 40 yrs since I studied plant/animal genetics). But what you have is a new strain that breeds true.
    -- Humboldt, I agree. Think you've found what you're looking for. Reserva Privada has a good rep for preserving & providing those old school genetics. I like crossing RKS to Big Bud. (I mean REAL Big Bud, I've bought seeds that just WEREN'T! ). What I got was the same high, taste & smell as RKS, on shorter faster plants. But then again, that's to be expected when you look at what Big Bud is
    -- A little tip to both of you. Here's how to keep your hybrid vigor. Male & female mother/father plants to clone from. Each time you want to produce those vigorous seeds, put a clone of each into flower & breed them. Mass produce F1 hybrids while maintaing hybrid vigor. Store seeds in fridg, air tight container with silicon pk, they will stay viable for years. Humboldt, you can go this with your best M&F from your RKS & help preserve that wonderful strain.

Seed Bank Question

Moments ago I received a parcel from Royal Mail!

I have my 6 Reserva Privada R.K.S. seeds in the breeders packaging and 5 freebies which are sleestack x skunk 1 (will update later if wrong)

If the quality of seed and product along with being true to its description is also reflected in their delivery time (seedsman) it will be a great strain.

I guess I should start and get-A-crackin'

Seed Bank Question

Hey Humboldt! Congratulations there buddy! So now you know how I felt when mine came in the mail. One word of caution..... calm down, & when you RUN to get started, watch where you're going so you don't trip & 'spill the beans'! LOL! Hope you have a grow log, if not, you'll have to start one so we can share in your happiness.... that shits contagious you know!

Seed Bank Question

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt215
    Moments ago I received a parcel from Royal Mail!

I have my 6 Reserva Privada R.K.S. seeds in the breeders packaging and 5 freebies which are sleestack x skunk 1 (will update later if wrong)
    Hope it lives up to your expectations.

Let us know how that Sleestack cross pans out. I've tried all the DNA skunk crosses, but my sleestacks were all males. (the OG18 x Skunk was nice, but not very "skunky")

Seed Bank Question

Wow,

So I come from a different background with knowledge of most things that deal with turn-in, apex, and turn-out as well as IDPA and IPSC. My gf and I have been looking to supply our own need and I didn't realize the vast knowledge that I was not the least bit aware of. I am reading everything I can to learn as much as possible. Thanks to all who post to enlighten us noobs.

~PPP-Dragon
    I wish I were Santa Claus as then I would know where all the \"Naughty Girls\" are located :thumbsup:

Seed Bank Question

Be all you can be, READ! Yeah! Glad too hear you're starting off on the right foot. Many just jump in, run ito trouble & then ask questions. You're on the right road & will save yourself a lot of problems. Welcome to the family!

Seed Bank Question

Thanks for the warm welcome Catbud

I feel like a 3yr walking into the Library of Cannagress (play on Congress :thumbsup: ) for the first time and every book is a lesson I need to store away for future use. I have a running lesson guide and I think I might pick up Ryan's online guide too.

I am fully aware I am in an information deficit but at least I know where I can go to spend some hours flipping through threads to learn as much as possible.

PPP-Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by catbuds
    Be all you can be, READ! Yeah! Glad too hear you're starting off on the right foot. Many just jump in, run ito trouble & then ask questions. You're on the right road & will save yourself a lot of problems. Welcome to the family!
    I wish I were Santa Claus as then I would know where all the \"Naughty Girls\" are located :thumbsup:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast