Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1780 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Counterculture music from the ole' hippie days!

Hey guys! Since I finally found a group of people in my own age group with the same intrests, I've been thinking. What is it we miss the most? OUR MUSIC!!!! It was REAL & it had meaning man. Not like this rapp crap that's about shootin' & fuckin' everybody (oops! Can I say that?). Ok, clean it up Cat, lets not get carried away! But back in the day, I actually got a buzz from the music. There's a lot I miss about those days. I think I even miss hearing my mom yell up the steps, 'what's that I smell burning? Better not be what I think it is!' Me? No mom! Its just incense! LOL! Anyway, here's some of my favorites: FLEETWOOD MAC (my #1), Simon & Garfunkle, Peter Paul & Mary, Donovan, Janice Joplin, Hendrix & the list goes on! Now I want to hear from you guys. Who's your favorites? How did this music make you feel? Come on now, this is some thought provoking shit man. Some of our music even served to make us politically aware, like 'Green Barrett' & 'This letter's postmarked Vietnam', or even go country with 'Ruby, don't take your love to town'. Ok.... I know I'm long winded, so now I want to kick back & hear from all you old long haired pot smokin' hippies! ~~~PEACE! ~~~
    catbuds Reviewed by catbuds on . Counterculture music from the ole' hippie days! Hey guys! Since I finally found a group of people in my own age group with the same intrests, I've been thinking. What is it we miss the most? OUR MUSIC!!!! It was REAL & it had meaning man. Not like this rapp crap that's about shootin' & fuckin' everybody (oops! Can I say that?). Ok, clean it up Cat, lets not get carried away! But back in the day, I actually got a buzz from the music. There's a lot I miss about those days. I think I even miss hearing my mom yell up the steps, 'what's that I Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

I too miss the music of that period. Especially now since all of the radio stations in my neck of the woods had eliminated the oldies format in favor of '80s & '90s music (as if them and their sponsors think us Baby Boomers had completely fallen off the face of the earth - bahh!). Good thing I still have many surviving 78's, 45's, & LP's that I can play on my vintage RCA Victor Hi-Fi (which had been reconditioned over 10 years ago).

I dig alot of Fleetwood Macs work, especially the Peter Green era of '67-'70. Classics from this period like "Homework", "Albatross", "Oh Well" and the original version of "Black Magic Woman" remain high up there as among my personal Mac favs.

Donovan is another favorite. "The Trip" (b-side to "Sunshine Superman" on 45) remains my hands-down fav. Other tunes deserving my mention include "Season Of The Witch", "Hurdy Gurdy Man", "Jennifer Juniper", "Atlantis", and "Rikki Tikki Tavi". I found Donovans story on "Season Of The Witch" quite amusing. To quote Donovan:

"Spooky, but true. I was the first pot-bust in London, followed by The Stones and The Beatles. I wrote this song before the bust. Prophecy again. How dare I be so cool? Its a magic track. And the sorceress, she is dancing her kali dance into the numina!
    Other bands of that period in which are still part of my surviving collection include:

Iron Butterfly
    The Jefferson Airplane
    Spirit
    Deep Purple
    Sweetwater
    The Mamas & The Papas
    Nazz (Todd Rundgrens original band - the original version of "Hello, Its Me" from '68 is my fav)
    Early Bob Seger (Bob Seger & The Last Herd, The Bob Seger System)
    Grateful Dead
    The Doors
    Santana
    Ten Years After
    Its A Beautiful Day
    The Buffalo Springfield
    Cream

And much more, but Id better wrap it up for now before I get timed out.

I miss "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" by Tiny Tim and Wild Man Fischer, "Jennifer Jones is Lying Dead on My Porch"

I miss "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" by Tiny Tim
    Ahh! Upon seeing that, the first thing that came to mind was
    Rowan & Martins Laugh-In. LOLZ.

If I remember right, he performed that on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour as well.

Time to check youtube....

Hey guys! How about 'The Monster Mash' !?!? Hahaha! HAPPY HALLOWEEN! (That one is kinda hard to dance to unless you're just two ole stoners trying to hold each other up)! (hey, he kinda looks like a pumpkin!) ~~~PEACE! ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by catbuds
    Hey guys! How about 'The Monster Mash' !?!? Hahaha! HAPPY HALLOWEEN! (That one is kinda hard to dance to unless you're just two ole stoners trying to hold each other up)! (hey, he kinda looks like a pumpkin!) ~~~PEACE! ~~~
    Happy Halloween to you too Cat. :stoned:

While we're in the area of the classic "novelty" records of the era, how about "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" by The Fifth Estate !?! Hahaha!

There's construction going on next door & the guys were playing cd's in their pick-up truck, so spent part of the afternoon sitting outside with my dog listening to Fleetwood Mac. Hate the fact that our only 'oldies' radio station doesn't go beyond the 80's
    ---- Really expected more response to this this thread, but maybe that says something about me. What do you think Burnt Toast? Are we just old, boring or both? ~~~ PEACE! ~~~

Wild Man Fischer, "Songs for Sale"?

Capt. Beefheart and His Magic Band, Trout Mask Replica album.

The Fugs "Nothing"

Hey Shov! Read another post where you said you make your own music. So do I. Guitar, mandolin, banjo, auto harp, harmonica & all kinds of flutes. Started playing at age 4. Dad played & made beautiful instruments. He played with Bill & Charlie Monroe before I was born. We have a lot in common, would be great to be neighbors!
    ---- Maybe my background is why I felt the music back then in a physical & spiritual way. Went way beyond just hearing & liking. It was a head trip. I wonder if the kids of today can get that kind of feeling from their music? Maybe its just me, but I don't see how anybody can FEEL anything from todays music. Seems like a lot of agitation & rage to me.
    ---- What I was really looking for in this thread was how the music from the 60's through early (very early) 80's made you guys feel, your favorite songs that actually gave you a mental/spiritual high, or gave you sence of a higher awareness. Things were so different back then. Morals & ethics of the whole world were being questioned, change was happening & all this was expressed in our music. Maybe these things made most of us more attuned to everything, & possibly why I felt the way I did about music. So come on guys. Give me the feed back I'm fishing for! (Maybe I'm just trying to recapture my youth here!)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Ahh! Upon seeing that, the first thing that came to mind was
    Rowan & Martins Laugh-In. LOLZ.

If I remember right, he performed that on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour as well.

Time to check youtube....
    Tiny first appeared on Ed Sullivan Show...

Pink Floyd (Animals was the best album)
    Beatles (and most of the british invasion)
    (liked the song Me and God Watching Scotty Grow) Bobby Goldsboro (some other silly country songs too)
    and way too many others to name
    Iā??m floating in a most peculiar way :stoned::thumbsup::rasta:
    For here am I floating in my tin can, Far above the world.
    Planet Earth is blue, and thereā??s nothing I can do.
    So we sailed unto the sun, til we found the Sea of Green;
    and we lived beneath the waves, and may Godā??s love be with you.