Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1675 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Petition to Protect Rehomed Pets on Craigslist

I'm not a huge fan of change.org, but there are a few worthwile things on there.

This is one of them.

Even our little rinky-dink trading post papers warn against giving away your pets to people for free - it amazed me that Craigslist doesn't.

https://www.change.org/petitions/jus...vec_dltdBDCvnl

It's a sad thing that so much energy is put into stopping people from growing their own medicine, when it could be used to stop stuff like this instead.
    cannabis-seeds Reviewed by cannabis-seeds on . Petition to Protect Rehomed Pets on Craigslist I'm not a huge fan of change.org, but there are a few worthwile things on there. This is one of them. Even our little rinky-dink trading post papers warn against giving away your pets to people for free - it amazed me that Craigslist doesn't. https://www.change.org/petitions/justice-for-puppy-doe-tell-craigslist-to-help-stop-violence-against-pets?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=35833&alert_id=VYqbXLivec_dltdBDCvnl It's a sad thing that so much energy is put Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

If craigslist did not have a pets category, pet owners would just spam the for sale categories and nothing would have changed except to diminish the for sale cateogies.. At least this way they have all have one place to go with the opportunity to read the warnings and disclaimers.

I don't think they want to get rid of the pets category - just put some warnings & other stuff in place.
    I don't know accurate it was, but they were saying Craigslist didn't have any warnings or advice for rehoming pets.

If nothing else, the petition & all the other publicity might make people more aware.

I don't understand what it must be like to have a mind that would enjoy hurting an animal like that - or a person for that matter.

It's extremely sad - and I've been kind of down ever since I read the email from change.org & looked at some of the news reports.

Quote Originally Posted by cannabis-seeds
    Even our little rinky-dink trading post papers warn against giving away your pets to people for free - it amazed me that Craigslist doesn't.
    Wrong.

Craigslist gives the warning during the posting process.

I just signed that petition about 2 hr ago on change.org. I was so upset when I saw that. Nothing makes me go nuts more than an animal being hurt, much less tortured. Thats no way to re-home an animal. Sickos troll for thoes adds, for something new to torture, or bait to train their fighting dogs. Because of these people, these adds should be banned. Of course some very loving & careing people adopt pets this way, but enough sickos get them to make it worthy of being banned. This isn't a one in a millon thing, it happens often. I used to show dogs & work for my vet part time & I've seen it up close & personal. Pets should only be re-homed to trusted people known to the animals owner, or through an agency where screening is required. The cruel sickos have made this necessary. You wouldn't believe the things I've seen while working at the vets office. This petition is posted on my facebook.

One more thing. Free's not the problem. Not screening the prospective new owner is the problem. There are organizations, shelters & groups who have trained professionals who do this, & they are everywhere. No matter where you live, you can find one within driving distance. Some will even pick up your pet if you can't get there. You're better off dropping them off at a farm or a known animal lovers yard than placing them in an ad.

I was going by what they said on the petition page.

Just checked my local craigslist & they give both the PETA & AALAS warnings, so I stand corrected.

I still think anything to make people aware of the issue is a good thing.

Signed!

One day, I know it's true, I am going to get to adopt absolutely every animal that needs a home and wants to stay in our big field... I hate that animals get screwed so badly on this planet