Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1706 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Whats Happing to my Clones :(

I started this hydro grow with 2 clones i got from a friend. I started them in just water. when the roots got long enough to stick out of
    the bottom of the net pots i added a ounce of hessi hydro grow and they started to turn brown on the edge of the leafs as seen in the first set of pictures.
    So I checked the ph it was real high 7 1/2 to 8. I flushed the plants with straight water and put them back under the Floresent grow light. i left them for
    a week and they were looking good the one was getting bigger. Then i look a few days later and they look brown and the leafs on the bigger on are 2 shades of green.
    The ph was at 7 again. so i adjusted the ph to a 6. I look a couple days later and there even worse and the ph is up again. i just added some nutes about a half ounce to 2 1/2 gals
    that is about how much water is in the tub. Can anybody tell me what im doing wrong? I have 2 air stones going 24-7 the light is on 18h hrs a day. and i have a fan blowing on them.
    Thanks in advance to all who answer. Satmac
    satmac Reviewed by satmac on . Whats Happing to my Clones :( I started this hydro grow with 2 clones i got from a friend. I started them in just water. when the roots got long enough to stick out of the bottom of the net pots i added a ounce of hessi hydro grow and they started to turn brown on the edge of the leafs as seen in the first set of pictures. So I checked the ph it was real high 7 1/2 to 8. I flushed the plants with straight water and put them back under the Floresent grow light. i left them for a week and they were looking good the one Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

We perspire, plants transpire. There's not enough roots to take up enough water to compensate for transpiration yet. Aim the fan on the light for now. Could be a little burnt from nutes too. Cell ph, sm screen so I can't see the pic that well, but definitely get the fan off them for a while
    as it's causing faster evaporation. But keep it on the lights to keep temps from rising. Is that lava rock? I had a pH problem when I used that too. You may need to change your pH product to get it to stabilize. Untill you find something that stabilizes it, check & adjust daily. That's why I prefer soil, less fluctuation. Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~PEACE!~~~~~~~~~
    I\'m an ole\' tree huggin hippie. I do what I like & like what I do.

Thanks for info ill be checking the ph daily now and the fan is pointed at the light. i tried this before and ended up putting my plants in soil and they did great. Now I want to figure the hydro out. ill update this thread in a few days. Thanks again. oh yeah Im using public water i know they say to use cal mag with distilled or well water but as i recall its not necessary for public water or am i wrong on this?

Well, public water varies from one town to another. Chlorine isn't good for plants, & the other chems in public water vary according to the water quality, so who knows what's in there that may react with other chems. I'm very lucky to live in the country & have spring water. pH is a very touchy thing, maybe some chem in the water is causing a reaction which in turn causes rebound in the pH after you have adjusted. It couldn't hurt to change to the recommend distilled water as recommended. I once worked in a pet store as fish dept mgr. The public water in that town was so full of chemicals we couldn't use it for our fish even after I de-chlorinated it. Couldnt even make coffee with it, so even should the water turn out not to be the problem, I'd still change it to distilled. I haven't done hydroponics in a few years, & chems, nutes etc has probably changed a lot since then, but I think it's a good chance changing the water will make a difference. Try that, & hopefully one of the guys who are up to date on hydro will jump in & tweek/add to the info I've given you. I always found hydro too expensive to maintain. I'll poke around & see if I can find a thread on hydro that might help you more.~~~~~~PEACE!~~~~~~~
    I\'m an ole\' tree huggin hippie. I do what I like & like what I do.

Ok distilled water it is and a stop to get some cal-mag. Thanks man. Peace

I dont know anything about hessi nutes or how to use them. If your adjusting your ph to 6.1 thats your first problem. Mix your nutes in a second container of distilled water at your target ppm and let them sit for an hr to fully disolve and balance out, adjust your ph to. 5.7 and wait an hr, if its still at 5.7 then dump your res and fill it up with the solution, the ph will climb over the next day or so, when it gets back to 6.1-6.2 then ph it back down to 5.7. That will give you a good window for nutrient uptake. Like I said, I dont know anything about hessi nutes, what I usually tell people to use for their first hydro run is the lucas formula with either GH micro and bloom or AN jungle juice micro and bloom. Its a simple 5 mills micro to 10 mills bloom for flouros and up to 250 watt hid's or 8 mills micro to 16 mills bloom for 400+ watt hid 's. Its simple, prooven, and cheap, costs about $10 a ltr.

@jbone77 thanks for the info, ill look into the lucas and Gh stuff and mix nutes like you suggest.

Ph was high adjusted it down to around 5-5 to6 going by color on test kit. this weekend distilled water and cal mag and hopefully new brand of nutes if my old lady will release the funds lol. peace.

well its been a few months and I happy to rport that my clones are doing well.I keep the Ph right and ad nutes and everything else takes care of it self. Attachment 297220Attachment 297221 Im about to start Budding them out,more to come.