Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1587 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Shov Winter 2013-2014 Sativa Grow

Do consider that the natural source of many sativa were in the tropics. In the tropics the length of day and night are very smell compared to artic zones. On the equator 11.5 hours of light may be winter and 12.5 hours for summer ( I guess, or something like this). So a hybrid with traits of the topical gene source may like 12/12 hours right on through. And a little bit of extra dark to flower 'em.

That ^^^ makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhandle
    Do consider that the natural source of many sativa were in the tropics. In the tropics the length of day and night are very smell compared to artic zones. On the equator 11.5 hours of light may be winter and 12.5 hours for summer ( I guess, or something like this). So a hybrid with traits of the topical gene source may like 12/12 hours right on through. And a little bit of extra dark to flower 'em.
    Good Info! That would explain the Indica strain I have from Hawaii. It's growth spurt really doesn't occur until 12/12. I wonder if they would like a shorter veg time than 18/6?
    Interesting, I should look into that.

Good Info! That would explain the Indica strain I have from Hawaii. It's growth spurt really doesn't occur until 12/12. I wonder if they would like a shorter veg time than 18/6?
    Interesting, I should look into that.
    Very Interesting. My current group of flowering girls are also "Indica dominant", and the fastest growth I ever saw on them was the first week that I went to 12/12. I grew them at 18/6.

18 hrs light is perfect veg, just don't veg so long to keep them a more manageable size at finish. Remember, most strains add another 2/3 in size while in flower! But Shov is right about the sativas. But most of the sativa strains found have at least a little indica in them to speed them up, make them shorter, denser & faster. I think pure sativas are a pain in the ass indoors! I'll leave lugging around the big pots to Shovel, he's not afraid of those big tall ladies. I'm only 5'2" & they just beat me up!

Shovel
    You smokin the different types yet? Have a favorite?

TLR, I am smoking the summer harvest. All Mr Nice Seeds product. Shit, NL5 x Sk1 and the European Outdoor.

OMB sez " I wonder if they would like a shorter veg time than 18/6?
    Interesting, I should look into that." My one late bloomer pheno definitely needed a shorter light period to begin flowering. I've grown out Neville's Haze a few times and I could have had better/quicker results with a shorter day length.

I will be putting up some new photos of the grow later today showing the lower buds tric development and the upper buds filling out very well. The plants are now on 10.5 hours of light a day. I will also check for tric color on the lower buds. It will be impossible to harvest the all the bottom nuggets before the tops finish but that's fine. The one late bloomer is going strong. It needed to increase in dark time to get going. I'll finish it with 10 hours/day of light. I probably won't be smoking any until they are harvested and cured. We'll see later today if I can guess when harvest may begin. It will be in stages as the different phenos are maturing at different rates. Thanks for watching, gang!

Can't wait for the next pics! You know I'm a voyeur & like watching! LOL! I once had some sativa bag seed that just wouldn't bud under 12/12 either. It was a pain having different strains, different heights & different requirements. That's the grow that led me to love clones! All from the same mother, same height & requirements. I'm lazy, would rather sit back, watch them grow & smell the flowers than work my butt off! But I guess I'm not all that lazy, otherwise I'd just sit back & watch yours grow! LOL!

I did update on MNS forum if you don't mind checking there, Cat. This grow thread is getting long at 5 pages and the plants still have a while yet to go. Thank you! :hippy:
    I have recently discovered that my canopy temp was a bit warmer than I thought. But now we are having a severe cold snap so I'm having to keep an eye on the area getting too cool. Gotta go check that out now.

Just a couple of quick update photos of a couple of plants.

Attachment 297486

Attachment 297487

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast